Devils shirts

Wannabe2

Thread starter #1
Wondering if we could get a display in the bar or somewhere, of all the past Devils shirts, think that would be pretty neat. Between us I am sure we could put together a pretty neat collection, brighten the place up with our history. Would be great for the oldies, and equally as cool for the newbies. We have a lot of history as a club, why don’t we show it off, after all we have never been in a better place that what we are now, so let’s celebrate our great fortune with a display that others can’t emulate, let’s brighten the place up, it’s a great Arena but we need to put our stamp on it. If other activities are at the Arena then let’s tell them who we are, let’s shout it out loud. It doesn’t have to cost much to get our place looking on fire, and hotter than hell cant see a problem myself.

pjj365

Re other activities - and I've said this elsewhere - when I booked conferences etc. I always looked for character

Branding the arena with skating (not just hockey but the Viola ice dance group, the individual skaters who are achieving success) is a marketing benefit in my eyes. I wouldn't even object to cage fighting/boxing branding but in proportion.

At the moment it is a slab of ice (or general arena) with white walls and a bit of advertising. It needs character.

I would never have booked such a sterile place.

Mazzoak

Great idea.

To add to that there is a massive amount of Ice Hockey photographs available going throughout the history of British clubs.
You only have to look at some of the North America’s college rinks for inspiration. 62D7759C-7C5F-4F2E-A6C8-FE1F0CD45E0B.jpeg

Mazzoak

Re other activities - and I've said this elsewhere - when I booked conferences etc. I always looked for character

Branding the arena with skating (not just hockey but the Viola ice dance group, the individual skaters who are achieving success) is a marketing benefit in my eyes. I wouldn't even object to cage fighting/boxing branding but in proportion.

At the moment it is a slab of ice (or general arena) with white walls and a bit of advertising. It needs character.

I would never have booked such a sterile place.
Why the the bar isn’t dressed as a sports bar, I’ll be polite, it’s a moronic decision by people who have no idea what their doing.
If a client is going to book conference facilities at a particular venue, say a multi functional arena, predominantly an ice arena, it wouldn’t be uncommon to find reference to that venue in some way. In fact the very people who would use Viola’s facilities are highly likely to be connected to the facility in some way.
The history, the fan base all bring a story to the place. Add the colours which are pretty good, it’s a no brainer. Which is why all the rendered art work prior to the building works showcased the Devils colours, logo etc.

Crazy, absolutely crazy.

pjj365

Why the the bar isn’t dressed as a sports bar, I’ll be polite, it’s a moronic decision by people who have no idea what their doing.
If a client is going to book conference facilities at a particular venue, say a multi functional arena, predominantly an ice arena, it wouldn’t be uncommon to find reference to that venue in some way. In fact the very people who would use Viola’s facilities are highly likely to be connected to the facility in some way.
The history, the fan base all bring a story to the place. Add the colours which are pretty good, it’s a no brainer. Which is why all the rendered art work prior to the building works showcased the Devils colours, logo etc.

Crazy, absolutely crazy.
It's not just crazy it's counter productive

I've booked football & rugby clubs and cricket grounds because that is what they are.

For a conference the worst part is arrival - nobody knows each other. Provide a talking point - club identity - and the ice breaker is done

As to the main bowl I just don't get why it has to be do sterile

BostonBart22

Always remember the WNIR at the entrance outside would be a massive banner of one of the devils, think it was Matsos one season, be nice to do the same at the Viola..

d20

Agree with all this ,so much could be done and should be .

We have seen many football and rugby ground using the same place and can switch images around by just taking them off the walls ,why cant we make more images for the bowl put them up on a game day and take them down after if thats what is needed,as wannabe says we have a huge history use it ....we could even have a wall of fame with names of all the players that have played for us through the years under the year i.e 1986 players names and then add what trophies were one ...it could all be done and put around the white walls around the bowl and lets not forget however many people say its multi purpose arena when they started laying the groundwork it wasnt cos it was gonna be used for ufc ,netball etc it was done as a home for the cardiff devils ice hockey .

We have so many great players that have played for us ,great matches we have played in and won ,wh ocan remember the european trip to Tilburg and winning against 2 of the top russian sides yet we have no mention of this its our history !!

For all the talk of todd saying this would be the best arena ,night out etc it isnt........... so much more could be dont to make it a pure hockey night .

GET IT DONE !!!

kingmo19.1

GET IT DONE :)
Love it when a Brexit associated quote works it’s way through into common vocabulary:)

Todd needs to TAKE BACK CONTROL of the Viola !!!!! :)

Earnie

I am not aware of other UK rinks who have gone overboard in decorating their establishment in ice hockey memorabilia? Feel free to correct me if I am wrong. What has gone up in the bar area is very tasteful and colourful , as is the wall behind Block 20. Personally I don't have a problem with it internally.

As for the outside, that is another matter. A huge action image like they had at WNIR would be great. It could be refreshed every few years with a new one. It even could be electronic like the one outside St David's Hall ?
There is expenditure to evaluate and consider if cost effective. Better still a sponsor cough up.!

hip check

A tastefully 'ice sports' decorated arena would certainly brighten up the place.
As mentioned earlier in the thread we have 'history' and plenty of it, highlighting some of this history makes sense by the use of shirts, photographs etc,etc. I'm sure it would make a great conversation starter for fans from both the Devil's and the opposition.
The rink does remind me a little of a hospital with a lack of decor and colours, the sightlines are excellent all around so some thoughtfully added themes based around ice hockey and ice dance would only add to the appeal.

Wannabe2

Thread starter #13
Wonder if someone in the higher echelons could give us their views on this, it would be nice to lead the way on this venture, seeing as we lead the way on so many other things. I actually think lots of people would contribute items and time to brighten our Lush Gaff up. Let’s lead the way again CARDIFF.
Happy Hockey Days.

august04

Something on the exterior arena walls - a huge banner with a player pic, “home of the Cardiff Devils”, whatever - is needed. There is absolutely no indication anywhere what the Viola Arena is! We have a main route into Cardiff right next to the arena, make it visible so that people driving past can see what it’s all about. It’s not rocket science and must be beneficial I would have thought to raise awareness.

I have to agree about the interior too. The decor in the bar has improved but the arena is so bland and “surgical”. So much more could be done relatively inexpensively I would imagine, but the will doesn’t seem to be there.

pjj365

Something on the exterior arena walls - a huge banner with a player pic, “home of the Cardiff Devils”, whatever - is needed. There is absolutely no indication anywhere what the Viola Arena is! We have a main route into Cardiff right next to the arena, make it visible so that people driving past can see what it’s all about. It’s not rocket science and must be beneficial I would have thought to raise awareness.

I have to agree about the interior too. The decor in the bar has improved but the arena is so bland and “surgical”. So much more could be done relatively inexpensively I would imagine, but the will doesn’t seem to be there.
Agree entirely the signage is on the wrong side - not easily visible from the road.
Even just the words ice rink ( and I chose the word rink deliberately) could attract casual visitors to the skating. Just imagine on a day like today bringing kids into the Bay and they see the sign - better than being miserable in this weather

voth26

Wondering if we could get a display in the bar or somewhere, of all the past Devils shirts, think that would be pretty neat. Between us I am sure we could put together a pretty neat collection, brighten the place up with our history. Would be great for the oldies, and equally as cool for the newbies. We have a lot of history as a club, why don’t we show it off, after all we have never been in a better place that what we are now, so let’s celebrate our great fortune with a display that others can’t emulate, let’s brighten the place up, it’s a great Arena but we need to put our stamp on it. If other activities are at the Arena then let’s tell them who we are, let’s shout it out loud. It doesn’t have to cost much to get our place looking on fire, and hotter than hell cant see a problem myself.
I have to say mate this has to be the best idea you have ever had, absolutely love it. Todd/Steve are you reading this if so lets get it done.

Mazzoak

I don’t really care what other rinks do regarding decor, they don’t have a standing section either.
We should be setting the standard, we are not, add the various issues, shirts, team shop, burgers etc it’s all becoming a bit...............
Todd wants an experience, wants to engage fans, forget promoting dog racing in the intervals, get the place sorted out. Make it usable. The management of the Viola is a growing joke, it’s all getting a bit pathetic.
Is it really too much to ask, that the only regular users of the facilities have some recognition, after all we’re keeping the club alive.

kingmo19.1

That is a fantastic idea and will generate a ton of interest at minimal cost.

Wannabe2

Thread starter #19
Thanks for the kind words on the idea, I have a few that I would love to kickstart the adventure, also I know a few guys, well more than a few guys that would back this idea. It would be a honour to contribute to getting our home the home it should be. Let’s get our awesome home the envy of every club in the UK. We guys in Cardiff are so fortunate to live where we live, and are so fortunate to have what we have, so let’s push the barriers out there. We are only limited by our imagination so let’s do this, let’s do this like only Taffies can.
Happy Hockey Days