Devils qualify for next season's CHL !

kingmo19.1

Realistically, we stick as much chance as winning the CHL as Newport County did in their recent FA Cup run!

Newport knew the odds and so do we.

It does however raise the profile of the club considerably - which can’t be a bad thing. Winning a few games here and there is a good advertisement for the league as a whole - and I hope we can do that again.

I know a few guys playing DEL straight out of the AHL and their opinion of the EIHL isn’t great - BUT they can see it’s getting more competitive each season. I hope a good CHL run by both us and Belfast will help the cause.

Belfast have been given the Continental Cup placement, as the team that won had an arena that did not come up to the CHL standard.
The lowest position that Devils can finish in the EIHL is second, with the only team that can finish above them being Belfast. so Devils have already claimed the UK entry place. Check out CHL web site for confirmed entries for next seasons CHL teams.
it wasn't anything to do with Aslan arena, it was the logistics of getting to Kazakhstan for any team in Europe

OJLloyd

I understand that mentality, but let's be honest, we are years away from being competative at this level and it can also be argued that players in central european teams may actually be discouraged from playing in the uk after seeing a british team have rings around them and view the eihl as a mickey mouse league that could potentially harm their career. Its a tough one. The devils can only get better by playing at this level repeatedly, but there is no guarantee we will play repeatedly. The owners/management obviously see the value in it though and l trust their judgement for the time being.
We were miles off against Salzburg, who were just better than us in both games. Though the away leg we were a little unlucky in the third. But then again they have a huuuuuge budget and made the Semi-Final.

Lost to Bern once in overtime, and conceding a goal in the last 5.

Lost once in OT to Vaxjo and only 3-1 away when we already knew we were done in the competition.

I’m not saying we’re going to win it, but I’m a lot more optimistic going in to watch CHL games than I was before our first CHL game. And we have another summer to improve the team.

kingmo19.1

I'm hoping Steve King completely loses it in the summer and thinks .... ah what the hell - Lordo, here's 10 million - buy the guys we need to win the CHL :)

then AFTER we've won it, we revert back to our normal budget.

Go on Steve, you know you want to :)

Third time lucky?

I still think our involvement is a waste of time and money, but may'be just may'be we'll get past the group stage this year just so we can get royally thrashed by a club from a country that takes ice hockey seriously.

Yeah, lets go devils, lets go...

I must say I’m puzzled as to why anyone would consider playing in the CHL "a waste of time and money" but it goes without saying that you’re entitled to your view. However, in light of a comment you made on another thread, I wonder if you’d mind answering a question?

In the 4pm faceoff thread you said "... l merely want to see the club grow/evolve."

I, and I’m sure every Devils fan, fully share that sentiment. The question is, given that the Devils have won every domestic competition over the last 2 seasons combined - and are also in prime position to win the league, and possibly the playoffs, again this season - in what way can the club continue to grow/evolve other than by participating in the CHL?

august04

We were miles off against Salzburg, who were just better than us in both games. Though the away leg we were a little unlucky in the third. But then again they have a huuuuuge budget and made the Semi-Final.

Lost to Bern once in overtime, and conceding a goal in the last 5.

Lost once in OT to Vaxjo and only 3-1 away when we already knew we were done in the competition.

I’m not saying we’re going to win it, but I’m a lot more optimistic going in to watch CHL games than I was before our first CHL game. And we have another summer to improve the team.
I don’t recall us being miles off against Salzburg, far from it. Let’s be honest, our goaltending wasn’t great in the CHL and that cost us this year. Like you, I’m hopeful we can give it another good go next season and be competitive in all the games again, as we were this season too. It’s a great competition and I’m glad we’re in it once more.

Samael

Good question @ buffalo bill. I don't feel the answer is competing on the European stage yet though. I can already see people rolling their eyes as this has been brought up many times before but we need a larger fanbase and dare I say it a larger facility to accomodate them to truly grow as a club. It worries me as we are considered one of the so called "arena teams", IAW or Viola, while new and having solid walls is not what I would consider an arena as the capicity is too small. The fact the Calgary 4 haven't really pushed to buy it outright would suggest they are of the same opinion as well (I may be way off there though as I don't know or pretend to know what goes on behind the scenes) It serves it's purpose for now, but I think we have already started to outgrow it in only our second full season there. Yes it's rent free but we are punching above our weight financially and that won't last forever in the EIHL and most definitely the CHL. It's only a matter of time before the likes of Nottingham, Sheffield, Belfast and even Glasgow get their houses in order and become the new us, innovators.

Playing in the CHL is great experience for our players, I don't deny that but is a casual spectator going to get hooked on Devils hockey watching them get beaten, convincingly, by European teams from countries that, as I have also stated before, take hockey seriously? At the moment there is a massive monetary and cultural gap between the hockey in the United Kingdom and mainland Europe, much like I'd expect us to get hammered by AHL/KHL/NHL opposition. But look at the culture in these countries towards the sport, we just don't have it here at the moment.

We need to look inwards I think, focus more on the youth programme to create a legacy, increase local and not so local interest, raise awareness of the game, get bigger premises and fill it then think about European conquest. But that's just the way I personally see it, call it a constructivly negative response if you want. I'm also not suggesting it will be easy.

OJLloyd

I don’t recall us being miles off against Salzburg, far from it. Let’s be honest, our goaltending wasn’t great in the CHL and that cost us this year. Like you, I’m hopeful we can give it another good go next season and be competitive in all the games again, as we were this season too. It’s a great competition and I’m glad we’re in it once more.
Scorelines wise we were quite close, but of all the games, those two were the ones where I felt pretty early on that we weren't going to win. Perhaps 'miles off' was a bit OTT, but they were definitely better than us. As compared to say the game in Bern where I thought we were, at times, the better team.

Goaltending was definitely an issue in the CHL. I think it's indicative of the poor pre-seasons all teams undertake over here. We can't go in to games against teams from Europe with Bownsy not having faced some proper screening efforts, and a good number of shots from the blue line (which seemed to be a bit of an issue). I'm not a goalie, but I imagine it would be nice to get your eye in, rather than playing Coventry at half speed. I would take getting beating in pre-season by a very good team (like the Steelers did) if it gets everyone in to gear.

RTfarty

Playing in the CHL is great experience for our players, I don't deny that but is a casual spectator going to get hooked on Devils hockey watching them get beaten, convincingly, by European teams from countries that, as I have also stated before, take hockey seriously? At the moment there is a massive monetary and cultural gap between the hockey in the United Kingdom and mainland Europe, much like I'd expect us to get hammered by AHL/KHL/NHL opposition. But look at the culture in these countries towards the sport, we just don't have it here at the moment.

We need to look inwards I think, focus more on the youth programme to create a legacy, increase local and not so local interest, raise awareness of the game, get bigger premises and fill it then think about European conquest. But that's just the way I personally see it, call it a constructivly negative response if you want. I'm also not suggesting it will be easy.
Completely understand where you're coming from on this, but I don't think we'll ever be able to develop the sport internally without the benefits of competing at the highest levels. Hockey in the UK will never be taken as seriously, nor have anywhere near the cultural impact it does in Sweden/Switzerland/Finland/Germany etc. unless we raise the profile of the sport significantly.

In order to do this we need to be competing at the highest level possible across the board. For the UK, that is the Championship Division on the international stage, as well as clubs representing us in Europe/CHL. Obviously we we will take our licks at times, which doesn't look great to someone with a casual interest, but I guarantee people take more notice of GB v Canada this year than the gold medal game last year. The more we test ourselves at this level, the more we will close the gap and generate interest in the sport.

Youth development is another ball game. You only need to to look at the success/model of the Okanagan Academy in Swindon to see that it can be done with the right investment, but until the profile of the sport is raised and funding exists for clubs to emulate anything like that, we'll always be relying on parents and ex-players volunteering their evenings and weekends to run development which will yield the same results we've always had. We won't get anywhere if we continue to look inwards.

Last edited:
I understand that mentality, but let's be honest, we are years away from being competative at this level and it can also be argued that players in central european teams may actually be discouraged from playing in the uk after seeing a british team have rings around them and view the eihl as a mickey mouse league that could potentially harm their career. Its a tough one. The devils can only get better by playing at this level repeatedly, but there is no guarantee we will play repeatedly. The owners/management obviously see the value in it though and l trust their judgement for the time being.

I'm sorry but this is one of the reasons I rarely post on here, because of ignorant comments like this. Not competitive...? Obviously you were not there at the Post Finance arena (a huge and impressive arena) in Berne last September. Because if you were you would have seen the Cardiff Devils boss the Swiss champions. And when I mean boss, I mean be the better side for 55 minutes. Unfortunately the last 5 minutes was the crucial moment in the game. They beat us 3-2 putting the game winner in at the death.

They are a multi multi £million club who regularly purchase multiple players from the NHL (and I mean top 6 forwards, not a 4th liner). For example, later that season soon after playing us, they played a hard fought game against the New Jersey Devils who did end up beating Berne. However I am not suggesting that we are an equal to an NHL team of course, but this does illustrates the caliber of team in the CHL we are now competitive with. I have been following the Devils for 32 years and have seen every cup and success won (except for the first season) by the club. And I can tell you the CHL is the zenith the Cardiff Devils have hit for me or ever will!!

Leaving the largest arena in Europe, their fans/ultras told us what a good team we have and that they were lucky to beat us. Now if you want to murder a team 7-0, the CHL is not for you. However, reading your obvious disdain and ignorance you have for the competition, hockey in general is not for you unfortunately!

Samael

An elitist know it all said:
"I'm sorry but this is one of the reasons I rarely post on here, because of ignorant comments like this. Not competitive...? Obviously you were not there at the Post Finance arena (a huge and impressive arena) in Berne last September. Because if you were you would have seen the Cardiff Devils boss the Swiss champions. And when I mean boss, I mean be the better side for 55 minutes. Unfortunately the last 5 minutes was the crucial moment in the game. They beat us 3-2 putting the game winner in at the death.

They are a multi multi £million club who regularly purchase multiple players from the NHL (and I mean top 6 forwards, not a 4th liner). For example, later that season soon after playing us, they played a hard fought game against the New Jersey Devils who did end up beating Berne. However I am not suggesting that we are an equal to an NHL team of course, but this does illustrates the caliber of team in the CHL we are now competitive with. I have been following the Devils for 32 years and have seen every cup and success won (except for the first season) by the club. And I can tell you the CHL is the zenith the Cardiff Devils have hit for me or ever will!!

Leaving the largest arena in Europe, their fans/ultras told us what a good team we have and that they were lucky to beat us. Now if you want to murder a team 7-0, the CHL is not for you. However, reading your obvious disdain and ignorance you have for the competition, hockey in general is not for you unfortunately!"

Given the tone and language of your response I think it's good you rarely do post. If someone has an alternate view to yourself that doesn't automatically make them ignorant. Try reading the post of mine I put on this thread after the one you have chosen to quote above. Your response sounds both ignorant AND arrogant.

I'm done here.

An elitist know it all said:
"I'm sorry but this is one of the reasons I rarely post on here, because of ignorant comments like this. Not competitive...? Obviously you were not there at the Post Finance arena (a huge and impressive arena) in Berne last September. Because if you were you would have seen the Cardiff Devils boss the Swiss champions. And when I mean boss, I mean be the better side for 55 minutes. Unfortunately the last 5 minutes was the crucial moment in the game. They beat us 3-2 putting the game winner in at the death.

Leaving the largest arena in Europe, their fans/ultras told us what a good team we have and that they were lucky to beat us. Now if you want to murder a team 7-0, the CHL is not for you. However, reading your obvious disdain and ignorance you have for the competition, hockey in general is not for you unfortunately!"

Given the tone and language of your response I think it's good you rarely do post. If someone has an alternate view to yourself that doesn't automatically make them ignorant. Try reading the post of mine I put on this thread after the one you have chosen to quote above. Your response sounds both ignorant AND arrogant.

I'm done here.

That was only after you were called out by more patient contributors than myself. I on the other could not care less if I hurt your poor old feelings. Your ignorant knowledge deserved a blast from me!

Samael

That was only after you were called out by more patient contributors than myself. I on the other could not care less if I hurt your poor old feelings. Your ignorant knowledge deserved a blast from me!
Called out by who? If you are referring to bill's question, I replied to it. This thread is not about me or you though, you havent hurt my feelings and you certainly havent handed my arse to me as some would suggest. If you'd like to have a chat face to face though please pm me and we can sort something out. Im still in work at the moment though hence my short and delayed responses. But keep assuming things mr 32 yrs a fan. Im not derailing this worthwhile discussion any further.

Samael

I see my private messages inbox is empty and Devil may care, or should that be devil may cry, has signed into the inferno since my last message so would have seen my invatation. Don't claim to "blast " anyone from behind a keyboard and act the big man on a forum on the arse end of the internet if you don't want to be "called out" yourself.

Back on topic, @ RTfarty, You make some really valid points about raising the profile of the game in the UK and touch on team GB to do so, where do the players from Team GB come from though? British youth programmes. You are spot on about players and parents volunteering as being the backbone of this.

I don't feel EIHL clubs are doing enough to support this though, particularly Cardiff.
I don't see any upcoming Nicky Chinn's or Stevie Lyle's on the horizon and without a proper legacy in place I see Cardiff's entry in the CHL, at this time, questionable when little is being done with the junior Devils.

I'm not taking anything away from the tournament it's self, as more arrogant 32 year fans have earlier suggested, I just think perhaps more money could be spent on inspiring and developing the next generation of WELSH hockey players to feed into the GB talent pool, particularly while we are at the top of pile domestically. I get that our inclusion in the CHL is an honour, one that we have earned this past 3 years and it's been a wonderful experience for the fans who have been lucky enough to have the time and money to travel to Europe to witness professional organisations and also for Lord/Kelman to learn and no doubt make contacts. Let's hope they are looking at the farm team set ups over there aswell so in (many) years to come the next Nico Hischier or however you spell his surname comes from Swansea not Switzerland. In 10-15 years time if we are still fortunate enough to have the owners we do this may be a reality and Devils entry in the CHL not just be an excuse for a red army Euro piss up as it is now imo.

kingmo19.1

I see my private messages inbox is empty and Devil may care, or should that be devil may cry, has signed into the inferno since my last message so would have seen my invatation. Don't claim to "blast " anyone from behind a keyboard and act the big man on a forum on the arse end of the internet if you don't want to be "called out" yourself.

Back on topic, @ RTfarty, You make some really valid points about raising the profile of the game in the UK and touch on team GB to do so, where do the players from Team GB come from though? British youth programmes. You are spot on about players and parents volunteering as being the backbone of this.

I don't feel EIHL clubs are doing enough to support this though, particularly Cardiff.
I don't see any upcoming Nicky Chinn's or Stevie Lyle's on the horizon and without a proper legacy in place I see Cardiff's entry in the CHL, at this time, questionable when little is being done with the junior Devils.

I'm not taking anything away from the tournament it's self, as more arrogant 32 year fans have earlier suggested, I just think perhaps more money could be spent on inspiring and developing the next generation of WELSH hockey players to feed into the GB talent pool, particularly while we are at the top of pile domestically. I get that our inclusion in the CHL is an honour, one that we have earned this past 3 years and it's been a wonderful experience for the fans who have been lucky enough to have the time and money to travel to Europe to witness professional organisations and also for Lord/Kelman to learn and no doubt make contacts. Let's hope they are looking at the farm team set ups over there aswell so in (many) years to come the next Nico Hischier or however you spell his surname comes from Swansea not Switzerland. In 10-15 years time if we are still fortunate enough to have the owners we do this may be a reality and Devils entry in the CHL not just be an excuse for a red army Euro piss up as it is now imo.

Sadly I think we might have seen the last of any home grown junior coming through the Devils junior ranks and playing for the EIHL Devils.

Since the era of Chinn, Stone and Myers the standard his risen so much that the barriers of entry are almost impossible to breach!

Look at the GB U18 and U20 teams -
More and more of those lads are playing AA/AAA in Canada - especially the U20’s.

I think a few ex Devil juniors are out there- Bayley Harewood, Ben Davies and Charlotte Harris.

Our last 4 brits (Moore, Duggan, Murdy and Rutkiss were not Junior Devils). I guess the club has the luxury of choice these days.

I might be wrong, but I think the last Devils Junior to come through was Guildfords Ben Davies ?

Last edited: