Devils Legend Jeff Smith and Everest

dave

Thread starter #1
For those that do not follow Devils Legend Jeff Smith on Twitter

Jeff in 70 days is climbing Everest at the good old age of 50!

He has been giving permission to hold a bucket collection by the club at an up coming game raising funds for Children's Cancer Trust.

He is also planning an abseil that folks can join on March 1st at Newport Transporter Bridge

Lot more details at www.everestatfifty.co.uk and a great blog on there as well that talks a lot about his time playing etc it is well worth a read..

wildthing74

Good on the club as this fella is an inspiration and has done many crazy things for charity in the last few years.I would be happy to help him out and collect for him too.
Jeff as much as anybody has earned his place in Devils folklore and I will always thank him for the greatest season of my life and will never forget that day he won us the double.
Good on you Smithy.

drainage

wildthing74 said:
Good on the club as this fella is an inspiration and has done many crazy things for charity in the last few years.I would be happy to help him out and collect for him too.
Jeff as much as anybody has earned his place in Devils folklore and I will always thank him for the greatest season of my life and will never forget that day he won us the double.
Good on you Smithy.
Have some great memories of Jeff in goal and a true gent as well .....always remember him giving me a peck on the cheek when we won the league, I was giddy!

More than happy to dig deep for him .....cracking effort great cause

dave

Thread starter #4
wildthing74 said:
Good on you Smithy.

Cheers J I will pass that on. I think the plan is to get the Supporters club on board for the night re the collecting.. Will confirm..

Jeff is bringing other ex devils to the game as well.. Plans plans and more plans!!

Count me in, it was Jeff that first got me into ice hockey when he had his electrical shop opposite us in Roath.

I'd spend hours there listening to all his stories.

Top bloke and a true gent.

I'm happy to rattle buckets, help with the abseil, take part or all three :D

dave

Thread starter #8
Gutted for Jeff after years of hard work and dedication...

Update 25th: It is with regret that I have to announce my dream to climb Everest is over. The mountain is NOT closed to climbers, but due to physical threats made to my team, it's Sherpas, and their families, our team leader Russell has made the decision to cancel the expedition. I will not go into any more detail for fear for my teams safety. Thank you to everybody for your massive support, I am just sorry that this journey had to end this way, I know we could have summited. I will update more when I return to the UK.

That's a really shame.

The whole Everest situation is shambolic and thanks to the media people are under the impression climbing Everest is done routinely by anybody, when in fact it possess risks both physically and mentally and demands a huge amount of fitness, the planning and prep takes months if not yrs.

Its a lot of work to have it wasted.