Devils Hall Of Fame

dave

Thread starter #1
Ok Split off from the Players Movement thread.

There have been a few discussions over the years about a Cardiff Devils Hall Of Fame.

So to start a bit of an off-season debate if there was a Cardiff Devils Hall Of Fame and you had 4 nominations to add this year who would they be and why

Split into two Categories:

Players

Speaks for itself, Any player who has played for the Devils that has made a
significant contribution to the Devisl

Enabler/Builder

Anyone that has played a part Off-Ice that deserves the accolade. Can be anything as long as they have made a contribution to the success of the etc

Pick 4 from one of split as you think deserves..

Finny

Are those players who have had their shirt retired automatically members of the Hall of Fame?
I'm going to assume so, and as a result add:

Perry Oliver
Jeff Smith
Ian Cooper
Ivan Matulik

I was thinking of this a couple of years ago and was thinking about adding one player a season. So we'd have to start at 28.

dave

Thread starter #4
Mooney#16 said:
1. David Owen
2. Bobby Brown
3. Chris Bailey
4. Rhodri Evans

Builder \ Demolition

1. Paul Ragan
That is Dave taking one of the team at Ball Hockey trainning! ;)

dave

Thread starter #5
Finny said:
Are those players who have had their shirt retired automatically members of the Hall of Fame?
I'm going to assume so, and as a result add:

Perry Oliver
Jeff Smith
Ian Cooper
Ivan Matulik

I was thinking of this a couple of years ago and was thinking about adding one player a season. So we'd have to start at 28.

Good Point And Yes...

For the record my four would be:

Jeff Smith For the Wembly Win and being the first British goalie that really worked at his game to be the best.

Brad Voth ( Hall of fame for me instead of Retirement) Ultimate franchise Player

Ivan Matulik Fantastice captin and lead by example. Came up big on teh big games and pivital in some great sucesses

Heather Prew Long Serivng Legend in the changing room aiding the players to play at their best. A fantastic caring lady.

Mooney#16

dave said:
Mooney#16 said:
1. David Owen
2. Bobby Brown
3. Chris Bailey
4. Rhodri Evans

Builder \ Demolition

1. Paul Ragan
That is Dave taking one of the team at Ball Hockey trainning! ;)
Taking one of the team? I'm quitting now then.

I confused it for hall of shame.

PLAYERS.
Jason Stone. Over 1000 games speaks for itself
Ivan Matulik. Total captain fantastic, never got the send off he thouroughly deserved
Gerad Adams. Playoffs every year, burger king cup, world record, 1 hand tied behind his back.

OTHER/BUILDER
Mike Ackland. Sheer effort with S.O.H.B. + pure passion. if you only could bottle it

wildthing74

mazza03 said:
My four:-

Doug (God) MC
Ivan
Stephen and Ian Cooper

:Banana :pickle
Can't go wrong with those choices Maz. I think the Cooper boys got over looked. Thèy were part of a generation that saw 5 other players from their era get retired and it would have been tough for the club to justify more in its infancy but they did as much as anybody to put us on the map especially Ian.

McEwen well is just McEwen and I am glad we saw his great years with us and same with Ivan.What a player,leader,captain and all round class guy who even now avidly follows our fortunes at home in BC.

It's a great shout Hubbs as with us knocking on 30 years old we are fast becoming one of the old guard who used to frown on the 'young upstart teams' back in the day and I would love the club to start celebrating our history going into the new rink.
It would be nice if there was room to have a small museum like in Fife so fans from all teams can marvel at our past. I'm sure we could get a load of donations from fans of older items and I have a load if stuff I would be willing to donate and items that could be displayed.

Ocko

Agree with all mentioned so far but to throw a few different names out there that may not crop into people minds straight away. A hall of fame isn't necessarily exclusive for a long service afterall.

Nicky Chinn - One of the most naturally talented players the club has produced. He didn't even get a full junior development programme yet played at every level. Whilst a controversial player, he carved out an excellent career and is still going strong in his 40s.

G - obvious one. Guided us through our darkest area but still made us compete.

Franny - a great servant on and off the ice.

Mike Ware - first real enforcer and still one of the best ever seen over here.

Max - unplayable and a superb servant during difficult times. Stayed with us even though earlier on he was a little too good for this league. Is basically welsh now.

Koop11

I quite like this idea. However I think there needs to be some kind of criteria for eligibility of being entered into the Hall of Fame, having your jersey retired and receiving a testimonial. In some cases all 3 would apply.

In the world of hockey we are still a relatively young club yet we’re retired a crazy amount of jerseys. There have been some questionable testimonials simply based on whether years of service were enough.

While all prestigious honours in their own right, I’m interested in which one fans would be regard as the highest accolade?

dave

Thread starter #16
Ocko said:
A jersey retirement is the highest honour, so surely they are automatically in the hall of fame right?
Yeap we did say earlier in thread that anyone with shirt already retired are automatically in. So in order or honours

1. Shirt Retirement
2. Hall of fame

Criteria

Re-wording The NHL criteria slighly for this thread it would be:

Player

The criteria required for a player to be inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame are basically playing ability, character, longevity, sportsmanship, and their personal contributions to the team or teams, and to the Devisl and the sport of hockey in general. Retired for 3 seasons.

Builder/Enabler

For a builder to be inducted, he/she has to have shown an impeccable sense of servitude to the Devils and making it better as a whole and may be either retired or active.

It also does say

In particular, there are no criteria that are set in stone.

All great healthy deabte though.

Chris

Administrator
I thought it might be worth bumping this following Franny's answer to our question...
The Inferno - There have been some calls for a Cardiff Devils Hall of Fame in the new rink, do you know if this would be possible, or something the club could do?

Franny - I definitely think that this is a good idea and will help recognise the contributions of many great people on and off the ice over the years. I'd be interested in helping take this forward.
Perhaps there is a chance of this actually going ahead in the new arena :)

dave

Thread starter #18
Chris said:
I thought it might be worth bumping this following Franny's answer to our question...
The Inferno - There have been some calls for a Cardiff Devils Hall of Fame in the new rink, do you know if this would be possible, or something the club could do?

Franny - I definitely think that this is a good idea and will help recognise the contributions of many great people on and off the ice over the years. I'd be interested in helping take this forward.
Perhaps there is a chance of this actually going ahead in the new arena :)
It has been pitched etc just working in a few details and fingers crossed!!

Chris

Administrator
dave said:
It has been pitched etc just working in a few details and fingers crossed!!
Ah good stuff! Hopefully with the link up between IAW and the club it won't be too hard to get something sorted :D

drainage

wildthing74 said:
mazza03 said:
My four:-

Doug (God) MC
Ivan
Stephen and Ian Cooper

:Banana :pickle
Can't go wrong with those choices Maz. I think the Cooper boys got over looked. Thèy were part of a generation that saw 5 other players from their era get retired and it would have been tough for the club to justify more in its infancy but they did as much as anybody to put us on the map especially Ian.

McEwen well is just McEwen and I am glad we saw his great years with us and same with Ivan.What a player,leader,captain and all round class guy who even now avidly follows our fortunes at home in BC.

It's a great shout Hubbs as with us knocking on 30 years old we are fast becoming one of the old guard who used to frown on the 'young upstart teams' back in the day and I would love the club to start celebrating our history going into the new rink.
It would be nice if there was room to have a small museum like in Fife so fans from all teams can marvel at our past. I'm sure we could get a load of donations from fans of older items and I have a load if stuff I would be willing to donate and items that could be displayed.
Doug gets my vote still remember him ripping us apart when he played for Lee Valley!

The Coopers agreed have been overlooked but what days they were watching them play

And Ivan just a beast .....fact!