Council to buy ice rink Bro Radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

Earnie

If I recall correctly we have three ice plants. One will run the operation, two for hurry up cool down and one spare whilst others under routine maintenance.

Mazzoak

Can someone interpret please
I read a new ice based activity - what? - only curling is not accommodated or will plant support ski slope?
Suggests current rink is not commercially viable nor long term sustainable - is it not already?
Brought forward on a commercial basis suggest free ice will end - am I being too pessimistic?
The current Welsh Government is led by a strong Climate Aware leadership who are looking to make Wales leader on Climate Change Policy and renewable energy, apparently. There main scope seems to be on removal of harmful pollutants, such as limiting car usage, not building large car networks, reducing speed limits and implementation of fines, increasing costs for businesses etc etc, not so great on new initiatives, so far.......
Now will owning and running a massive freezer at a time that energy costs are increasing for the use of a few thousand hockey fans and a few hundred regular skaters fall into their Climate Crisis solutions portfolio, I’m thinking not unless they can find a way to maintain an ice surface using free energy efficient, carbon neutral cheap solution.
Wales only other ice rink that has a Curling Club is in North Wales, in England, I’ve no idea, is there a demand in South Wales that would make a dedicated Curling Rink viable, not sure. Interestingly Curling requires the ice surface to be Pebbled by water droplets freezing, it’s why in Canada for instance curling is not done on Ice rinks used for skating, here though the need for such detail is lacking, nobody cares as it’s mainly recreational, not competing. The ice is also difficult to maintain as it needs to be so level and temperature is critical, far more than for skating and ice hockey.
My interpretation is that the Welsh Government will hike prices, significantly to such a level the IAW will slowly loose appeal, become redundant and the land then reused for redevelopment. I very much doubt the IAW is financially viable at the moment, it could be if the Devils paid for the use, is that financial hit then an issue for the viability of the Devils, does the 3000 average ticket sales per game cover the increase in costs or would the Devils need to find savings. Since the Devils Business is only a name and a few grand in equipment, it’s biggest costs are player wages & travel. That means either profits need to drop or player budget or worse both. That then brings in player Catch 22, when player quality drops, attendance levels drop.....
The Council received a substancial EU grant for the IAW, the scheme funded the huge costs involved in reclaiming industrial land that could viably be used for housing. The building of the IAW and other “Sports Facilities” allowed for that cost to be met, very clever.
So yes if Mr King or any other businessmen got their black cards out and bought the IAW and surrounding land I’d be confident as it shows there is viability and potential growth. The fact the Council is going to purchase from Greenbank, not so much, if this was Dragons Den it’d be leaving without a deal......

Last edited:

Ocko

Mazzaok you are obsessed with saying IAW will close. I can’t see many scenarios less likely. I’m not sure how someone can turn a news story whereby IAW is having an expansion and much more built around it to saying the council want it to close and this is their way of doing it. Weird.

If it’s not bleating on about how bad Lord’s teams were it’s about IAW closing. Anyone would think you have an agenda.

Mazzoak

10 yrs to make the IAW a reality after much fighting and pursuing........#short memories.
If they’d contemplated an iceberg, Titanic would’ve reached its destination.

pjj365

The current Welsh Government is led by a strong Climate Aware leadership who are looking to make Wales leader on Climate Change Policy and renewable energy, apparently. There main scope seems to be on removal of harmful pollutants, such as limiting car usage, not building large car networks, reducing speed limits and implementation of fines, increasing costs for businesses etc etc, not so great on new initiatives, so far.......
Now will owning and running a massive freezer at a time that energy costs are increasing for the use of a few thousand hockey fans and a few hundred regular skaters fall into their Climate Crisis solutions portfolio, I’m thinking not unless they can find a way to maintain an ice surface using free energy efficient, carbon neutral cheap solution.
Wales only other ice rink that has a Curling Club is in North Wales, in England, I’ve no idea, is there a demand in South Wales that would make a dedicated Curling Rink viable, not sure. Interestingly Curling requires the ice surface to be Pebbled by water droplets freezing, it’s why in Canada for instance curling is not done on Ice rinks used for skating, here though the need for such detail is lacking, nobody cares as it’s mainly recreational, not competing. The ice is also difficult to maintain as it needs to be so level and temperature is critical, far more than for skating and ice hockey.
My interpretation is that the Welsh Government will hike prices, significantly to such a level the IAW will slowly loose appeal, become redundant and the land then reused for redevelopment. I very much doubt the IAW is financially viable at the moment, it could be if the Devils paid for the use, is that financial hit then an issue for the viability of the Devils, does the 3000 average ticket sales per game cover the increase in costs or would the Devils need to find savings. Since the Devils Business is only a name and a few grand in equipment, it’s biggest costs are player wages & travel. That means either profits need to drop or player budget or worse both. That then brings in player Catch 22, when player quality drops, attendance levels drop.....
The Council received a substancial EU grant for the IAW, the scheme funded the huge costs involved in reclaiming industrial land that could viably be used for housing. The building of the IAW and other “Sports Facilities” allowed for that cost to be met, very clever.
So yes if Mr King or any other businessmen got their black cards out and bought the IAW and surrounding land I’d be confident as it shows there is viability and potential growth. The fact the Council is going to purchase from Greenbank, not so much, if this was Dragons Den it’d be leaving without a deal......
Why so much emphasis on Welsh Government when it is the Council that are proposing buying the arena

Wannabe2

Mazzoak give us all a break, we are still in the middle of a pandemic people are still losing their lives and folks are clinging on dearly for any good news. Then a pain in the butt comes on here trying to burst peoples positive vibes, and trying to drag peoples hopes down to your miserable level, stop harping on and on like Victor Meldrew, I don’t know how old you are but your only here once, try enjoying it instead of sounding like a old 78 rpm crackling record. By the way the Euro Grant which you say was substantial was actually £16 million, and most certainly wasn’t for the IAW, it was on the proviso that the so called Sports Village contained Water, Snow and Ice, of which 2 are realised water the pool and white water rafting, Ice the IAW, and snow being the long overdue Snow dome. Folks please remember the same old moaners,are just that the same old moaners, we have faced bigger obstacles than these moaning minnies can dream up, so forget this tripe enjoy your hockey and the awesome team and organisation we have, we are in a pretty good place at the moment, life is for living not winging. Stay Safe All, and Happy not moaning Hockey Days.

Earnie

Mazz - I didn’t say it depressed me . It is you that is the bearer of questionable depressing information that you wish to share with a small audience that is fortunately on a different wavelength.

Mazzoak

You supplied the bullets mate no one else, he who lives by the sword.
You need to read and understand the points of the meeting. Especially these relating to business viability, rentals and the fact the Council is only committed to delivering at this stage the Velodrome so as to facilitate the school expansion at its current site.

Attachments

Mazzoak

Mazz - I didn’t say it depressed me . It is you that is the bearer of questionable depressing information that you wish to share with a small audience that is fortunately on a different wavelength.
So the issues facing the viability & future of the IAW are my opinion only, therefore have no substance whatsoever and any mention means a public flogging for disobedience.

You also need to read the points raised in the council meeting particularly

“ At present, there is no specific funding available within the budgetary framework for the redevelopment of the International Sports Village. Any proposals brought forward must therefore be on a self-financing basis utilising capital receipts and s106 contributions generated.”

You can read the report, it clearly states funding will need to be generated from the existing facilities at the ISV, the costs to deliver just the Velodrome is put at considerable, currently not disclosed.

Mazzoak

My point being the Council isn’t going to keep a facility that’s not generating income, the Ski Slope is scrapped, so forget the Ice, Snow and Water obligations they no longer apply. The key player is the freeing up the current Velodrome for the school expansion.

Kevlar68

Just out of interest, out of the 3 sports buildings down the bay which do you think is used the most as in numbers through the door in a year?
Swimming Pool, white water or IAW?

I myself would think the IAW between Devils, junior Devils, Para Hockey and public skating, , so if that did ever go (which i doubt) then the others would also have to go.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.