Council to buy ice rink Bro Radio

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter #1
Interesting looking at the artists impression the ice rink is much extended into the current car park Todd must have been consulted one would hope.

Cardiff council is set to buy the ice rink and 10 acres of land at the International Sports Village.
New details about the master plan for the area have been revealed, including moving a motocross track from Splott to just west of the current Bayside mass vaccination centre.
The development of the area has been piecemeal over the past few years and large portions of the land have been left empty.
By buying land owned by developers Greenbank, the council is hoping to speed up the development of the International Sports Village and its master plan for the area.
The council entered a contract with Greenbank in 2012 to redevelop the International Sports Village. The first phase of the plans involved building the Ice Arena Wales, which was completed in 2016, and also building an indoor ski slope, which has since been shelved.
Greenbank built 100 flats at the Cardiff Pointe development, and 160 affordable housing apartments, too. There is planning permission to build hundreds more homes.
A newly published cabinet report explained the fallout between the council and Greenbank, leading to progress ''stagnating''.
The cabinet report said: ''Development at the International Sports Village has now stagnated for a number of years. Progress under the development agreement has been slow due to a disagreement between the council and Greenbank relating to the fulfilment of conditions for the next phase of development, i.e. commitment to deliver the ski slope or a reasonable alternative.''
''In recent years the development has effectively ceased and the site has consequently suffered from significant uncertainty for an extended period. The development agreement between the council and Greenbank, that was designed to facilitate development, has effectively served to frustrate progress over recent 1631906454001.jpeg

Last edited:
My thoughts exactly. It’s all well the ‘proposed’ development of the Bay Area looks good with the new businesses and housing coming in, but I can’t see any additional parking for this development. If I’m missing something please say.

revilo

Interesting that number 6 is an ice arena extension, but it's on the wrong side for any increased capacity in the main pad (I think)! Perhaps it's a Corky megastore, lol

Ocko

I wonder what the extension will consist of. Certainly need bigger changing rooms, the ones for the other pad are useless.

I wonder if there is any scope for a capacity increase. I’m not sure how that would be possible but if the road is no longer there maybe something could be done.

BostonBart22

Interesting looking at the artists impression the ice rink is much extended into the current car park Todd must have been consulted one would hope.

Cardiff council is set to buy the ice rink and 10 acres of land at the International Sports Village.
New details about the master plan for the area have been revealed, including moving a motocross track from Splott to just west of the current Bayside mass vaccination centre.
The development of the area has been piecemeal over the past few years and large portions of the land have been left empty.
By buying land owned by developers Greenbank, the council is hoping to speed up the development of the International Sports Village and its master plan for the area.
The council entered a contract with Greenbank in 2012 to redevelop the International Sports Village. The first phase of the plans involved building the Ice Arena Wales, which was completed in 2016, and also building an indoor ski slope, which has since been shelved.
Greenbank built 100 flats at the Cardiff Pointe development, and 160 affordable housing apartments, too. There is planning permission to build hundreds more homes.
A newly published cabinet report explained the fallout between the council and Greenbank, leading to progress ''stagnating''.
The cabinet report said: ''Development at the International Sports Village has now stagnated for a number of years. Progress under the development agreement has been slow due to a disagreement between the council and Greenbank relating to the fulfilment of conditions for the next phase of development, i.e. commitment to deliver the ski slope or a reasonable alternative.''
''In recent years the development has effectively ceased and the site has consequently suffered from significant uncertainty for an extended period. The development agreement between the council and Greenbank, that was designed to facilitate development, has effectively served to frustrate progress over recent View attachment 1541

''In recent years the development has effectively ceased and the site has consequently suffered from significant uncertainty for an extended period. The development agreement between the council and Greenbank, that was designed to facilitate development, has effectively served to frustrate progress over recent View attachment 1541
wont happen in my lifetime ccc cant even get the refuse system right since going 4 day week...

moggy#9

My thoughts exactly. It’s all well the ‘proposed’ development of the Bay Area looks good with the new businesses and housing coming in, but I can’t see any additional parking for this development. If I’m missing something please say.
I think that your missing the fact that the council detests anyone who doesn't ride a bike.

Finny

I could be wrong but I believe the extension is already in place.
Comparing it to a satellite view on Google Maps it would definitely be new.
New design shows arena extending east further than pool. Currently it doesn’t.

Not really sure whether this would allow for an increase in capacity unless they plan on moving everything east and raising the roof which would be incredibly expensive and take a long time.

I would have thought an easier option would be for the extension to be extra commercial units. Maybe a bar or restaurant.

Earnie

Thanks Finny.
Like I said I could be wrong but I still have a strong suspicion it is already included into the current build.
What would be it’s purpose be other than an increase in capacity? It is the only direction they could possibly go and it would have to be completed in an offseason. Unlikely I say.

moggy#9

Thanks Finny.
Like I said I could be wrong but I still have a strong suspicion it is already included into the current build.
What would be it’s purpose be other than an increase in capacity? It is the only direction they could possibly go and it would have to be completed in an offseason. Unlikely I say.
My brother, who until he retired worked in building control for Cardiff council, told me he could see no way of capacity being increased without major structural work. I'd have thought that the cost of such an exercise would be prohibitive.

Status
Not open for further replies.