Could this come processional

hip check

Thread starter #1
What a wonderful team we have here in Cardiff, most games are pretty much a non-contest with the opposition unable to cope with the skill level of our team.
I worry a little at times as this could become too much..big wins every week and most games a forgone conclusion.
I'm not trying to be disrespectful to the opposition but will people become discontented with easyish wins every week and stop creating an intimidating atmosphere?
Lovely watching the team tearing other teams apart on a regular basis but personally I like a tight game with both teams going at it hammer and tongs with the final result in doubt right to the end.
It could become processional and not sure if that's good for either the league or the devil's.

Yes I agree and that's one of the main reasons I didnt renew my season ticket this season. I dont regret it so far and havent missed going down.

Ejercito Rojas

In a word.. No!
It’s very much up to the opposition to raise their game and their standards.
We have always been a strong team at home (and long may that continue), however we haven’t had it all our own way away from home.
It’s a long season and a couple of injuries to key players at the wrong time can destabilise any team.
Let’s make hay whilst the sun shines as we may not see such a talented team in Cardiff next season.
To remain at the top we have to continually strive to get better and this means personnel changes, we may not be so fortunate next year.

Waw. The stupidest comment I've possibly ever read on this forum.
Awesome! Do I win a prize?!?

First season under the new ownership was the best ever for me. Competitive games, electric atmosphere, big hits ,fights, mixed bag of results, edge of your seat games, several teams in contention right until the end. That's why I fell in love with hockey. However, skating rings around teams and coasting to victory in a quiet rink the vast majority of nights doesn't do it for me. I know you can only play what's in front of you and our style has changed etc etc but for me it's not as good as it used to be.

Gospel

I dont think winning the league will be as easy as some people think it will be but I still think we will win it and we should enjoy it for as long as it continues. It wasnt long ago we were playing in front of crowds of less than 1000 for mid week games and it was season upon season of not winning anything. At some point the bubble will burst and we wont win a trophy for a season or two but will that be down to other teams upping their game or us going backwards? Who knows what the future holds.

As the the enjoyment of the games, you have to look at the two different eras. Pre the new owners and since they took over.

Its obvious to anybody who went to games say 7-10yrs ago that the game has changed, not just playing styles but with rules changes etc. Now its less contact, less fighting but also less thuggery. But the game also seems to have lost its characters. Where are the pantomime villains we used to love to hate? The meltdowns from players? The dislike for each other to the point of hatred? Those days are gone by the looks of it.

We now have faster flowing hockey, a more european style of hockey with less niggle and grit.

Unless you went to the games of the older era and saw what went on, dont knock someone for saying how they now feel about the current era.

hip check

Thread starter #13
I dont think winning the league will be as easy as some people think it will be but I still think we will win it and we should enjoy it for as long as it continues. It wasnt long ago we were playing in front of crowds of less than 1000 for mid week games and it was season upon season of not winning anything. At some point the bubble will burst and we wont win a trophy for a season or two but will that be down to other teams upping their game or us going backwards? Who knows what the future holds.

As the the enjoyment of the games, you have to look at the two different eras. Pre the new owners and since they took over.

Its obvious to anybody who went to games say 7-10yrs ago that the game has changed, not just playing styles but with rules changes etc. Now its less contact, less fighting but also less thuggery. But the game also seems to have lost its characters. Where are the pantomime villains we used to love to hate? The meltdowns from players? The dislike for each other to the point of hatred? Those days are gone by the looks of it.

We now have faster flowing hockey, a more european style of hockey with less niggle and grit.

Unless you went to the games of the older era and saw what went on, dont knock someone for saying how they now feel about the current era.
Agree the game has changed and the skill level has certainly risen but I and I suspect a few others miss the aggressive physical element of the game that we watched as little as 4-5 years ago, there we're more characters and villains then imo, I loved the likes of Ruggles, Sacritini, Michel and dare I say it Mike Ware's, it's a little bit sanitised now imo, a balance of the two styles would be pretty cool I reckon.

Last edited:

Mazzoak

I guess the die hard, my life is the Devils type of fans will always struggle to understand the fan who, like me, likes to feel entertained and can walk away if it becomes stale and boring. In the same way l struggle to understand their obsession and read some of their comments I’ve concluded as being utter garbage.

Mod...please close this site down. What a load of nonsense. We are winning but that’s boring?!?!?

Granted the atmosphere is dire at the moment but I wonder how many of those saying that are actually bringing a drum or shouting to the rafters to help that atmosphere. Sounds like they would more happily sulk if we score 10 goals than cheer each one:(

As for the fighting aspect and big hits then yes we do need a little more of a crowd lift in that sense but give that over winning the league and I am quite happy to sacrifice things in that sense.

Do you think the kiwi rugby supporters are thinking the same way about their team winning so often. Would they prefer to lose more to make it more competitive. I doubt it. Each of the players in that team play for the jersey and like wise so do our devils.

Rant over....have my fire extinguisher at the ready lol

Maybe we will get some of these absurd fans back because we lost to Guildford and losing to blaze???

Bloody crazy some people on here I tell you. How can u not wanna win easy but u rather lose??

RTfarty

Is this thread just going to get a new comment every time we go down by a goal? The original post was an interesting talking point. Hammering uncompetitive teams by 7 goals every night would get boring quickly, fortunately that won’t happen every night.. but don’t be so ridiculous to suggest fans will be ‘happy’ that we’re now losing by 2 goals.