Confirmed Signings (& some departures) - All Teams 2018/2019

zoesdevil

Wow that’s a surprise, didn’t see that one coming. Really pleased on this signing, wonder if Raine will follow him?????. So from a defence that leaked 200 goals last season, 3 are on their way to Steelers, Thommo recruitment at its best.
Agreed, as he again will take silly penalties like Fitzy & I honestly think he will be a weak point in their defence!!

RedDevil17

Agreed, as he again will take silly penalties like Fitzy & I honestly think he will be a weak point in their defence!!
Silly penalties? Are you sure about that?? During Fitzy’s time here in the EIHL he has racked up 879 PIMS compared to Martinelli’s 149. That’s a 730 Penalty Minute difference between the two. When you compare, would you still say that they both give up silly penalties given the figures? Not only that, Fitzy is ill disciplined, and out of control player who just cannot be contained on the ice, it’s as simple as that. He’s cost his team the league the year before last as well as so many other games because of stupid penalties. Martinelli on the other hand is the far better player. He brings size to the team and so much more in terms of overall ability. He doesn’t take silly penalties and he’s effective in his role. I can never recall him being banned by DOPS. He may not be the toughest guy in the league but he does the job. So yeah, most Steelers fans are extremely happy about this signing and I can see why. He’s a great signing. So in response to both you and wannabe, Thommo has recruited well

Last edited:
I agree Fitzy takes way more penalties but Martinelli has only been here for 2 years compared to Fitzy's 4. The difference over those 2 years they've both been here is still 229 minutes, so still backs up your point but not as big a difference as 730

RedDevil17

I agree Fitzy takes way more penalties but Martinelli has only been here for 2 years compared to Fitzy's 4. The difference over those 2 years they've both been here is still 229 minutes, so still backs up your point but not as big a difference as 730
He may have only been here 2 years but martinelli has brought far more to his team than Fitzy has in both of his teams. Martinelli is a better player, more disciplined and a very good D man. Simple as that. Even if martinelli had been here in the EIHL for 4 years he would have conceded far less PIMS going by that rate. I can guarantee that most Steelers fans would much rather Martinelli over Fitzgerald any day of the week.

Last edited:

Pondlife

Martinelli takes too many cheap digs in my opinion and I've no idea why he doesn't get more PIMs than he does. He gets away with bl**dy murder some nights.

Therefore though my obviously rose tinted specs* I don't see him as a good fit for the Devils.

*Obviously through such specs his cheap shots might seem fair game if he were wearing red.

august04

Put simply, Martinelli would not be a ‘good fit’ for the Devils because he isn’t good enough!
Yet Reddick is deemed good enough by the majority on here. Different types of players I know, but I also know who I’d rather have patrolling my blue line and protecting my goaltender. I think we’ve missed not having an agitator too over recent years. Yes we’ve won everything and that’s all the argument that some need to avoid change but I used to quite enjoy seeing the Devils a bit more proactive, rather than reactive, in the cheap shot stakes!

Devil_Abroad

Yet Reddick is deemed good enough by the majority on here. Different types of players I know, but I also know who I’d rather have patrolling my blue line and protecting my goaltender. I think we’ve missed not having an agitator too over recent years. Yes we’ve won everything and that’s all the argument that some need to avoid change but I used to quite enjoy seeing the Devils a bit more proactive, rather than reactive, in the cheap shot stakes!
I don’t like cheap shots, period. So a no for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

august04

I don’t like cheap shots, period. So a no for me.

I’ve seen plenty of cheap shots from the likes of Voth and Sacratini over the years. Two of the greatest Devils to ever lace them up. As long as a player has more to his game than just being a cheap shot merchant, then that’s OK with me. Those two had much more, and to a lesser extent so does Martinelli.

Devil_Abroad

I’ve seen plenty of cheap shots from the likes of Voth and Sacratini over the years. Two of the greatest Devils to ever lace them up. As long as a player has more to his game than just being a cheap shot merchant, then that’s OK with me. Those two had much more, and to a lesser extent so does Martinelli.
Just because our player takes a cheap shot doesn’t change my view - a cheap shot is still a cheap shot whether from us or the opposition; it’s still a no from me.

ASHIPP

As usual it seems easy to judge the quality of players joining the Steelers and the ability of Thompson to recruit (the arrogance on the Cage about it beggars belief)......yet Steelers are usually there or thereabouts in one competition or another most years.

Steelers can never ever be written off. How judgements can be made on 'good' or 'poor' recruitment baffles me.....the teams haven't even started playing ! This season could be the most competitive yet.

If I was a panthers fan I would be quiet till end of the year and count how many trophies they win.
They always have a pop at steelers but steelers always finish better than them in the league playoffs and challenge Cup lol

If I was a panthers fan I would be quiet till end of the year and count how many trophies they win.
They always have a pop at steelers but steelers always finish better than them in the league playoffs and challenge Cup lol
What a statement lol. In the last 10 years the panthers have won the Challenge Cup 6 times compared to the steelers 0, and the playoffs 4 times compared to the steelers 3.

Sent from my STF-L09 using Tapatalk

Yea that's 10 years who mentioned 10 years. I'm on about recently. Solelace.
Panthers haven't competed for the league for a very long time haven't competed in the cc for 2 years and playoffs for 2/3 hears

Panthers haven't competed for the league for a very long time haven't competed in the cc for 2 years and playoffs for 2/3 hears
They won the playoffs and Challenge Cup in 2015-16 lol so it's a bit of a nothing statement to say that the steelers always finish above them in all competitions.

Sent from my STF-L09 using Tapatalk

Devil_Abroad

As you didn’t mention a time frame I think the response was fair?