Confirmed Signings (& some departures) - All Teams 2018/2019

Wannabe2

Clan games could be interesting! Throw in Fitzy and Gratton with an agitator like Connolly, might get feisty.
And we play them more often, don’t you just love it. Pete Russel knows what the Clan fans love, and by gum he is delivering it. Putting bums on seats is what it is all about, and Russel will surely do that, he understands the area being a proud Scot. After taking the GB team to success. I wish him all the best in the World he sure is getting it together. Just get a bloody webcast now buddy and we will all be happy.Its building up nicely now guys, get your season tickets or you are going to miss out, and no one wants that.
Happy Hockey Days

Slartibartfast

Aaron Johnson signs for Steelers on a 2 year deal

https://twitter.com/steelershockey/status/1022344624688517121?s=21

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thats one hell of a signing. 300 NHL games over 400 AHL games and he scores more points than a lot of forwards in some of the leagues he has played in. The Steelers have really splashed the cash on this one.
If my count is right Steelers have 11 new signings. Its going to take a good coach to make that many new players gel. Fortunately for us they have Thompson.:)

Last edited:

Mooney#16

I look forward to seeing how Thommo reacts this year. As far as fan expectation goes I think Steelers are in a decent spot as they’ve been dampened down a little but the pressure on Thommo from a coaching point of view is massive. He’s got no excuses left to use. This is his team. He’s recruited it. If it all goes wrong it’ll be a stark reflection on his abilities. There’s going to be some hilarious meltdowns however it’s Thommo desperation that worries me as he’s got no integrity about dipping into the dark arts. I hope Lordo lets the guys know it’s zero tolerance to any of this BS.

Hell of a signing although like a lot of guys with good CV’s coming in getting a bit long in the tooth and will we just see processional years from them. I include some Devils signings in that as well.

I wondered that too. The article seemed to suggest that the MBA was a massive factor in him coming to Sheffield. Almost read to me like he sees this as a step down, but that it’s worth it for the free education. I wonder if there’s a risk that he might coast a little with one eye on his MBA and his future after hockey? I guess he’ll still be a top signing if he plays to 75% of his best, but it’s something I’d be worried about.

Wannabe2

I wondered that too. The article seemed to suggest that the MBA was a massive factor in him coming to Sheffield. Almost read to me like he sees this as a step down, but that it’s worth it for the free education. I wonder if there’s a risk that he might coast a little with one eye on his MBA and his future after hockey? I guess he’ll still be a top signing if he plays to 75% of his best, but it’s something I’d be worried about.
But we have players on scholarships, and have done for years, have they coasted.?????

But we have players on scholarships, and have done for years, have they coasted.?????
No, they haven’t (from what I can see, anyway). My point was more that he has come from such a high level (compared to our players on MBAs) and he’s that little bit older, and that just made me wonder if he’d be 100% committed....maybe I’m just hoping that will be the case!

Wannabe2

No, they haven’t (from what I can see, anyway). My point was more that he has come from such a high level (compared to our players on MBAs) and he’s that little bit older, and that just made me wonder if he’d be 100% committed....maybe I’m just hoping that will be the case!
He is a professional athlete, that’s what took him so far in his career. This guy won’t be here to coast, he is one very good signing.

Mooney#16

As with anyone in any walk of life getting married and having kids etc changes you and for a professional athlete changes your style of play and commitment in certain situations. Guys who have huge fight cards such as a Bordy etc suddenly have dependents and fighting doesn’t seem as important the same as blocking a shot or committing on a 50/50 puck. Not even saying guys do it consciously. It can be sub conscious. Whilst not accusing any pro of doing this you are not getting the fearless 25 year old pro but the street savvy vet. My fear with signing an guy with a family who’s 30+ is what player will you get. 99% of the time the guys still give it their all and can’t be knocked. Faryna fighting the way he does with his young family is ballsy to the point of mad but credit to him. Would just say until you see the guy on the ice you don’t know what you’re actually getting.

Mazzoak

In another organisation that could and has happened, Sheffield I’d be amazed they’d let that happen.

august04

Looks a great signing. I think the league will be a lot more competitive than last year, and we should see some much better games at IAW.