Conference winner play off spot:

Earnie

Thread starter #1
I assume that if Nottingham win their conference there will be no play off positioning advantage for them?
The advantage goes to the winner of the conference that does not produce the league winner.

I apologise if this has been discussed previously somewhere.

D

Deleted member 1337

As my understanding is
Seed 1: league winner
Seed 2: winner of conference not including league winner

Have Hope#35

If Nottingham Win the Conference and Cardiff or Sheffield Win the League then they will be Ranked 3rd behind Braehead! If Braehead Win the League then Nottingham will be Ranked 2nd and Cardiff and Sheffield will fight it out for 3rd and 4th.

Finny

Both Conference winners get playoff seeding regardless of whether they have won the league title or not.

So yes, Nottingham will gain a playoff positioning advantage if they win the Conference Title.

Temme

Earnie said:
I assume that if Nottingham win their conference there will be no play off positioning advantage for them?
The advantage goes to the winner of the conference that does not produce the league winner.

I apologise if this has been discussed previously somewhere.
It's a horrible situation - if we falter at the last hurdle and Sheffield win the league (with Nottingham taking the conference) we will finish 4th seed and draw Belfast.

Regardless of Fridays result - we need to beat Sheffield on Saturday, therefore i'd rather see Sheffield beat Nottingham on Friday, so that if we win both of the games Saturday/Sunday we can win league & conference.

Not that I'm greedy or anything.

Also worth mentioning, If Nottingham have nothing to play for on Sunday (they have already secured conference lets say), I'd hedge my bets that they'd want to stop Sheffield winning the league AT ALL COSTS, even if that means us beating them Sunday.

It has been the best league for years - and who said the conference system hasn't worked!

James

Administrator
Temme said:
It's a horrible situation - if we falter at the last hurdle and Sheffield win the league (with Nottingham taking the conference) we will finish 4th seed and draw Belfast.
We'd be seeded third surely? Nottingham wouldn't be seeded above us as the winner of the league would be in our conference.

davew

James said:
Temme said:
We'd be seeded third surely? Nottingham wouldn't be seeded above us as the winner of the league would be in our conference.

Extracted from elite website:

The Elite League champions will be seeded number one for the playoffs, while the second seed will be the winner of the Conference that does not produce the league winner.

The remaining six playoff spots will be taken in order from the final Elite League table.

In the event of the league title winner not winning their Conference, the order will be as follows.

The number-one seed will still be the Elite League winners with the two Conference winners taking seeds two and three (higher rank determined by their league position).

Seeds four to eight will then be determined by the Elite League table.

Quarter-finals will follow the usual match-ups over two legs with seed one facing eight, two against seven, three versus six and four playing five.

Finny

James said:
Temme said:
Nope. 4th.

Earnie

Thread starter #9
Good- we have a debate.
I disagree with Finny. I say again that if Nottingham win their Conferance there is no play off position advantage for them.
The advantage goes to the team that wins the conference that does not produce league winner.

Anybody from Nottingham like to contribute to this debate?

Temme

Earnie said:
Humble Pie.
Have found rules on Elite League . Looks like Finny is correct
Yeah i read up about it a couple of weeks ago.

The conference winners are automatically first or second seed.

However IN THE UNLIKELY event that the league winner is different from the conference winners (doesn't seem unlikely to me, but still...), league winner gets #1 seed & conference winners become 2nd and 3rd.

We could finish 2nd in the league and still be fourth seed (drawing 5th placed Belfast in the quarters).

Or, Sheffield could beat Nottingham on Friday & we win both games & we win the lot :Banana :Banana

It hangs on a thread, literally.

mazza03

I haven't got a problem with playing Belfast in the playoffs, I haven't got a problem playing any team in the playoffs :Banana :pickle this team can beat them all on the day :RAWK :RAWK :RAWK

Have Hope#35

TommyDevil13 said:
I know I'd rather have Hull than Belfast!
Didn't Hull knock out Sheffield a season or two ago? If we did end up with Belfast at least we'd be sure to get up for it! Saying that I hope we win the league :D

Interesting to read all these permutations.

Probably an unpopular view given that we're more culturally focused in British sports on winning league championships, but I'd much prefer it in this country (when it comes to hockey at least) if the teams were more focused on winning the playoffs as the ultimate prize, such as with North American sports, and then the conferences and regular season league winner being secondary prizes to win/achieve.

Otherwise, whats really the point of the playoffs other than being a money making exercise?

Not saying the playoffs aren't important here mind, I'll never forget the will to win shown by the devils in that playoff semi against Belfast a few seasons ago, nor that home QF second leg comeback against Braehead. Incredible desire.