Clubhouse bar

Thread starter #1
Not sure if this has been answered before but I feel the main bar at the rink would benefit from some club merchandise and historic references, something that actually marks it as a clubhouse and not just another generic clean bar. I like what gas been done to the metkza lounge so I'm assuming its not done to rink ownership ??

I wholeheartedly agree mate! The entire rink needs some memorabilia around it. The actual rink itself is getting better but that bar is soulless! I would happily donate some of my merchandise to make it more like a clubhouse

BillytheWiz

This has been discussed before and I think the answer always come back that the owners of the rink will not let the Devils personalise the rink ?

Thread starter #5
I assumed that was the case billy but feel that is a mistake. My company uses the suite for presentations as sponsors and I feel it certainly would add some character as a space. Particularly as the bars at wnir and the bbt did so. The club should use any opportunity to stamp its history and identity on the venue as the chief tenant plus the fact that tod kelman just signed the sponsorship deal as the management head of IAW?

Last edited:
IAW (The Viola Arena) is a multi purpose venue, I think this is the reason there is no memorabilia on the walls. the Cage Warriors event, boxing and the darts event coming up soon are a massive positive for the rink. the bar also holds work conferences and meetings hence the reason.

Wannabe2

IAW (The Viola Arena) is a multi purpose venue, I think this is the reason there is no memorabilia on the walls. the Cage Warriors event, boxing and the darts event coming up soon are a massive positive for the rink. the bar also holds work conferences and meetings hence the reason.
Those are very good points, but this Arena was built as a new home for the Cardiff Devils, and all other Ice users, so surely some memorabilia of our club could be decorated around the bar, and the Arena, why not as the main users of this facility and the main reason it was built in the first place,then why not. Would we really upset other users with some Devils decor, and some skating decor,I certainly think not, and it’s very good publicity for other users to see we have a team in Cardiff, tons of people don’t think we have a Rink or a team.

Last edited:

pjj365

I've said this before when this was last debated but:

When I was booking meeting venues I always looked for character. Put a group of strangers in a sterile room and they will remain strangers. Give them a focal point and/or a discussion point the atmosphere is different.

Where possible, I booked football clubs, rugby clubs, county cricket grounds etc. You always knew where you were.

But, sorry guys, it should not be just hockey. IAW is home to figure skating, dance, recreational skating and, yes, the Viola dance team (sorry forgotten its proper name). All this should be reflected with maybe a passing recognition to the martial arts - don't see this as core though.

As to the outside branding!!! When this is changed I hope it gives at least a clue that it is an ice arena. I fancy Viola Ice Arena Cardiff

hip check

It does need brightening up, Devil's memorabilia, ice dance memorabilia plus any other activities that regularly take place there.
It does look rather sterile and hospital like, we are double champions let's celebrate it with some shirts, photo's, murals, etc, let's make it feel like home.

As to the outside branding!!! When this is changed I hope it gives at least a clue that it is an ice arena. I fancy Viola Ice Arena Cardiff
It's going to be labelled as "The Viola"
I agree, it would be nice to see stuff in the bar though, even if they just put stuff up on those temporary/replaceable velcro strips. Then they could change the decor to match whatever event they were trying to push!

kingmo19.1

Nottingham have got it spot on ..... nice picture around the walls of the artists who have played there, but also pictures of speed skaters and ice hockey. They've covered all bases. We've covered no bases - that's why it looks sterile and naff.

d20

Lets be honest things could be put up on a matchday basis and taken down after,many football/rugby clubs much bigger than us share grounds and have photos etc on the walls around stadiums etc which are put up and replaced straight after its not hard and could easily be done on this basis so whatever event is being put on can be displayed .

Temme

I couldn't give a monkeys what they put on the walls as long as it doesn't stay plain boring white all over.

Some vague suggestions

- lyrics to the welsh national anthem (written around artistically, not just the lyrics typed up)
- things celebrating Cardiff (Geraint Thomas, Rugby, Cardiff City, Devils, the bay)
- photos of what goes on in the arena (boxing, MMA, Weddings, hockey, figure skating)
- SPONSORS
- Adverts for upcoming events

The only thing that breaks up the white of the inside at the minute is the Red Army Travel flag when they pin it up for games, and that's not how it should be. We're 3 years in and ~8 trophies (?) and it doesn't feel anything like home.