Clan Vs Devils - 13 Nov 19 - League

jenks33

No complaints from me, I thought the better team on the night won that game. I don’t think the Devils were awful but Clan’s special teams were better than ours, they were stronger defensively and they dominated face offs.
It goes without saying that we badly need Morrisonn to have a Strachan-esque impact on our defence. I appreciate we’ve known this for weeks but we are all over the place at times defensively. Teams really don’t have to work too hard to cut us open where as we have to work our socks off to generate chances. I found it uncomfortable watching Fournier tonight. We all know he’s a superstar going forward but defensively his confidence is shot at the moment.

Another thing is our discipline at the end of that game. Yes the officiating in this league is awful but we were very naive for an away team. I thought Dixon was silly to give the Clan player such a whack in a 3-3 game heading into the last 5 minutes and as for Myers that was inexcusable. Already shorthanded and he decided to do that?! Brainless

august04

(Not in any tone - genuine question coming) Did you are the interviews with Bowns and others (I think either Lord or TK) in the off season?

ISTR that this off season most clubs in Europe had their NMs locked into 2 year contracts and Bowns wasn’t willing to leave for a backup role. He signed with us again for a year so he can see what offers come in next summer. The Aalborg offer was the only one that came in but he’s aiming higher than that.

I’d love him to stay but I wouldn’t be surprised to see him leave - and if that happens I was wondering what people thought of Killeen as a replacement...
I did see them and do you seriously think that virtually all the teams in EU had starting goalies on a 2 year contract? And if you’re not offered a starting spot and ambitious enough, you fight for it if you get a backup offer in a higher league. But not everyone is that ambitious and that‘s OK, there’s nothing wrong with that. He‘s a great goalie for this league but what better league can you see him play in? Denmark isn’t that, so I don’t blame him not going there. There are a lot of very good goalies around (a few better in the EIHL too, Killeen being one of them for me), and many from North America in EU. For me, he’s at his level - and I’m very grateful that we have him and I hope he stays with us for years. We’re not helping him at the moment though.

Last edited:
I don’t buy that, especially when things aren’t going for you. We’ve seen plenty of teams come into our arena and hit us around, trying to put us off our game. We keep being told we recruited a younger, faster, more physical team - well, play to those strengths consistently then, and not just at home either. We’re trying to find our identity, give it a real go and play hard ffs.
It's hard to know what to do, I think this team and the way we're playing has us all scratching our heads trying to work out the best solution, like you say we're being told were younger, faster more physical, Lord is saying in interviews that he wants the team to play that way and he wants us hitting but we've had a season of performances like tonight.........................................I don't even know what to think,

One things for sure, we need Linglet and Benti to come back from their summer break and for me Riley at the moment is becoming another Leigh Salters, I was expecting much more from him

T10P

No urgency to make grade A scoring chances until desperation sets in. Be nice to see some desperate hockey for 60 mins without it always being too late and down a goal..

Diablo3

No complaints from me, I thought the better team on the night won that game. I don’t think the Devils were awful but Clan’s special teams were better than ours, they were stronger defensively and they dominated face offs.
It goes without saying that we badly need Morrisonn to have a Strachan-esque impact on our defence. I appreciate we’ve known this for weeks but we are all over the place at times defensively. Teams really don’t have to work too hard to cut us open where as we have to work our socks off to generate chances. I found it uncomfortable watching Fournier tonight. We all know he’s a superstar going forward but defensively his confidence is shot at the moment.

Another thing is our discipline at the end of that game. Yes the officiating in this league is awful but we were very naive for an away team. I thought Dixon was silly to give the Clan player such a whack in a 3-3 game heading into the last 5 minutes and as for Myers that was inexcusable. Already shorthanded and he decided to do that?! Brainless
Sorry but I don't see how Myers was responsible for that, the opposing player slips and is on his way down while Myers weight is on him as you would expect in a face off. His momentum was bound to land him on top of the opposing player. Harsh call.

I do agree the better team won and I hope Shaone is the impact player we are after,.

jenks33

Sorry but I don't see how Myers was responsible for that, the opposing player slips and is on his way down while Myers weight is on him as you would expect in a face off. His momentum was bound to land him on top of the opposing player. Harsh call.

I do agree the better team won and I hope Shaone is the impact player we are after,.
I thought Myers had a silly little dig to be honest. Soft but when you’re already shorthanded it was unnecessary. Looks like we’ll agree to disagree on that one tho

osh

I only watched the game because it was free. As I have previously said, I won’t be spending any more money on watching the Devils this season as a collective, they are the worst I’ve seen since we moved into the new arena. We certainly appear to have the team on paper that should be playing far better than they are, however, something is still not right within the set up and as fans we won’t get to know ( quite rightly so ) I do not see the passion, effort and pride that I have seen in previous seasons. Our special teams are certainly nothing special and at times tonight they skated around like headless chickens And our defensive marking from both forwards and defenders was laughable. Could think of worse things to describe the performance, but I think you get the message, let’s hope if players read the Inferno, they realise what a lot of long standing and passionate fans think of their performances lately. I’m not going to call out any individual player as I think the whole team are underperforming.

Mazzoak

I believe the whole organisation started off and continues to suffer from Founders Syndrome. Explains some of the issues of late.

Finny

For those complaining at our lack of physIcality just look at what happened at the end of the second period. McMonagle lines up Roy for a perfect hipcheck. Roy sees him coming and at the last minute turns his back into it and feigns injury. It’s a perfectly good hit yet the referee falls for it and calls a penalty, which Clan score from.

I have so much sympathy for the players who must be pulling their hair out. We want to see checks like that yet the standard of officiating this season has been so poor they get penalised for it.

There are too many players on the team just going through the motions and not delivering what they are capable of producing in a devils jersey, returning players are ghosts are they really on the ice ??? It’s pathetic!!!!!!!

Slartibartfast

I thought Peacock fell over and Myers just fell on him and was unlucky to catch his head with a stick. It was the turning point of the game and a damn stupid way to lose a game. I think most refs would have let it go. This one seemed to apply the accidental high stick logic to a check to the head. i.e. if you make contact even unintentionally it gets called.

august04

For those complaining at our lack of physIcality just look at what happened at the end of the second period. McMonagle lines up Roy for a perfect hipcheck. Roy sees him coming and at the last minute turns his back into it and feigns injury. It’s a perfectly good hit yet the referee falls for it and calls a penalty, which Clan score from.

I have so much sympathy for the players who must be pulling their hair out. We want to see checks like that yet the standard of officiating this season has been so poor they get penalised for it.
Come off it Finny. That was one isolated incident. We’ve hardly had a checking penalty all season, so it’s not like we’re consistently being hard done by for physical play. Most of our penalties have been lazy, stick penalties which many have pointed out on here.

I wonder if Steve King knows any 500 game ex NHL forwards that fancy a stint in Wales. We could do with one of those too.

Last edited:

doron

Come off it Finny. That was one isolated incident. We’ve hardly had a checking penalty all season, so it’s not like we’re consistently being hard done by for physical play. Most of our penalties have been lazy, stick penalties which many have pointed out on here.
even the commentators said, by the letter of the law it was a call a hash call maybe but still a call

Finny

even the commentators said, by the letter of the law it was a call a hash call maybe but still a call
Commentators can be wrong.
Plus, they were saying it was a check from behind yet it was called as Boarding. So one way or another they can’t be agreeing with the refs.

Officiating is shambolic, every fan base in the league will agree, as does most coaches I would assume but they just can't be quite as vocal as fans. Of course it will frustrate players and will be the game charger some nights, but over the course of the season it will probably even itself out. It is not the main reason why we are losing games. We have to look at ourselves & sort out how we can get ourselves going. Like many I was over the moon with yesterday's signing. Can't fault the ownership & management for addressing a major concern with our defensive game. Really hope this will calm the nerves of some players & confidence is restored.