CHL

Devil94

Thread starter #1
Now that the 17-18 season is over, we now look forward to next season.

The CHL draw takes place in Copenhagen on May 16th, and the fixtures will be our before the end of May.

29 teams qualified so far, only 3 left to be confirmed.

Austria (3 places)

• Vienna Capitals (Regular Season Winners)
  • Red Bull Salzburg (Pick Round Winners)
  • HC Bolzano (Playoff Finalists)
Belarus (1 place)

• Neman Grodno
Czech Republic (4 places)

• HC Pilsen (Regular Season Winners)
  • Mountfield HK (Regular Season Runners-Up)
  • Kometa Brno (Playoff Semi-Finalist)
  • Oceláři Třinec (Playoff Semi-Finalist)
Finland (5 places)

• JYP Jyväskylä CHL Champions
  • Kärpät Oulu (Regular Season Winners)
  • TPS Turku (Regular Season Runners-Up)
  • Tappara Tampere (Regular Season Semi-Finalists)
  • IFK Helsinki (Regular Season Semi-Finalists)
France (1 place)

• Rouen Dragons
Germany (3 places)

• Red Bull Munich (Regular Season Winners)
  • Eisbären Berlin (Regular Season Runners-Up)
  • Nuremberg Ice Tigers (Play-Off Semi-Finalists)
Great Britain (1 place)

• Cardiff Devils (League Champions)
Poland (1 place)

• GKS Tychy (Playoff Champions)
Sweden (5 places)

• Växjö Lakers (Regular Season Winners)
  • Djurgården Stockholm (Regular Season Runners-Up)
  • Frölunda Indians (Regular Season Third Place)
  • Skellefteå AIK (Regular Season Semi-Finalists)
  • Malmö Redhawks (Regular Season Semi-Finalists)
Switzerland (4 places)

• SC Bern (Regular Season Winners)
  • EV Zug (Regular Season Runners-Up)
  • HC Lugano (Playoff Finalists)
  • ZSC Lions (Playoff Finalists)
Continental Cup Winners

• Yunost Minsk

Games will be played on;
  • Game Day 1 30/31 August
  • Game Day 2 01/02 September
  • Game Day 3 06/07 September
  • Game Day 4 08/09 September
  • Game Day 5 09/10 October
  • Game Day 6 16/17 October

Any teams there that you really want? No Davos or Liberec next year.

I'd love to see one of Salzburg, Berlin, Djurgarden or ZSC (Zurich)

DEL sides are always fun to play. We played the Ice Tigers in pre season and they have imports with amazing CV’s, and they play a fast, physical brand.

Ice Tigers had over 3000 NHL games on their roster. [emoji50]

Devil_Abroad

DEL sides are always fun to play. We played the Ice Tigers in pre season and they have imports with amazing CV’s, and they play a fast, physical brand.

Ice Tigers had over 3000 NHL games on their roster. [emoji50]
Met two HUGE Hamburg fans visiting Panther friends and POFW after the game on Sunday night inside one of the many Subway outlets; friendly and amusing. I’d like to visit Germany please.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

terry hunt

Thats interesting Rob Wilson ex Steelers/GB captain is the Ice Tigers Coach if i am not mistaken.
He was in the UK during the season i wondered if Steelers were tapping him for the coaching job.

Thats interesting Rob Wilson ex Steelers/GB captain is the Ice Tigers Coach if i am not mistaken.
He was in the UK during the season i wondered if Steelers were tapping him for the coaching job.
That would be great! But he recently got DEL coach of the year so the only way is up for him.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

OJLloyd

I’d love to go back to Berlin, and somewhere in Sweden that doesn’t require a John Candy/Steve Martin film to get to.

Belarus seems like an unnecessary mid week trek, so I could leave that one.

Ger-Devils

Berlin for me. Went there to watch them v kolner Haie in 2016. Stood on the fankurve. 10ft flags, drums and megaphones. Unreal atmosphere and an amazing arena.

Wouldn’t mind Austria but happy to go to most places.

Devil94

Thread starter #12
We won’t be going to Belarus, Poland, Denmark, Norway or France as they will be in the same pool as us. So 3 out of Germany, Sweden, Finland, Czech, Austria and Switzerland. Agree about the cost of Scandanavia, might put a lot of fans off with the costs, but the quality of hockey there is terrific. I wouldn’t mind Stockholm or Helsinki, but anywhere remote up north like Skellefteå will be difficult!

Really hoping for a better seeding this year. To say that to Semi Finalists came out of our group shows how hard it was. I really feel that a concerted attempt to get into the knockout stages is on the cards next year

Foxy

I just hope we get a solid core of this years team back but dont ask me why but i have a sinking feeling that we're going to lose a lot of players

I just hope we get a solid core of this years team back but dont ask me why but i have a sinking feeling that we're going to lose a lot of players
I feel the same. They've won everything now! I guess getting out of the group stages of the CHL is the next challenge, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a few core guys move on to their next challenge after this season. Hope I'm way off the mark though!

Sent from my G3221 using Tapatalk

I feel the same. They've won everything now! I guess getting out of the group stages of the CHL is the next challenge, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a few core guys move on to their next challenge after this season. Hope I'm way off the mark though!

Sent from my G3221 using Tapatalk
That is the sadness of being in the eliteleague. What is needed now is for the junior system to be sorted out here in cardiff, where we can see much more local boys being integrated into the main team, and then we have a sustainable team for the ages!!!

RedDevil17

That is the sadness of being in the eliteleague. What is needed now is for the junior system to be sorted out here in cardiff, where we can see much more local boys being integrated into the main team, and then we have a sustainable team for the ages!!!
I hope to see guys like Buglass, Rutkis and some of the 17/18/19 year old guys from the Fire get given some chances next season in the dead games like Edinburgh or just games where we are winning massively so they get EIHL experience bit like what Edinburgh do with their youth because they’ve got some good youth talent. Toms has been given ice time this year and he’s done brilliantly in terms of making the jump up so can the other youngsters in our ranks from the fire. The more ice time they get the better they become especially with the group of guys we have being around them ability wise. Onto the CHL, more teams will no doubt fear us because of our wins last year. Växjö won the Swedish championship so to beat them was fantastic. I don’t care who we face, all I say is BRING THEM ON!!

Last edited:

Devil94

Thread starter #18
Seedings for the draw announced - Surprised to see Bolzano up in Pot 1, and Frolunda down in Pot 3.

Pot 1: JYP Jyväskylä (CHLW) Växjö Lakers (SWE1) Kärpät Oulu (FIN1) Kometa Brno (CZE1) ZSC Lions Zurich (SUI1) Red Bull Munich (GER1) HC Bolzano (ITA/EBEL1) Djurgården Stockholm (SWE2)

Pot 2: TPS Turku (FIN2) HC Pilsen (CZE2) SC Bern (SUI2) Eisbären Berlin (GER2) Vienna Capitals (AUT/EBEL2) Skellefteå AIK (SWE3) Tappara Tampere (FIN3) Mountfield HK (CZE3)

Pot 3: EV Zug (SUI3) Nuremberg Ice Tigers (GER3) Red Bull Salzburg (AUT/EBEL3) Malmö Redhawks (SWE4) IFK Helsinki (FIN4) Oceláři Třinec (CZE4) HC Lugano (SUI4) Frölunda Indians (SWE5)

Pot 4: HC05 Banská Bystrica (SVK1) Neman Grodno (BLR1) Storhamar Hamar (NOR1) Cardiff Devils (GBR1) Aalborg Pirates (DEN1) Rouen Dragons (FRA1) GKS Tychy (POL1) Yunost Minsk (CCW)