CHL

Discussion in 'Cardiff Devils & EIHL chat' started by Devil94, Mar 19, 2017.

1. Devil94

Devil94 Active Member

So, very exciting, we have now qualified for the 2017-2018 Champions Hockey League. Here are the other teams that have qualified so far.

Sweden; Vaxjo Lakers, HV71, Jonkoping, Frolunda Gothenburg.

Finland; Tappara Tampere, TPS Turku

Czech; Bili Tygri Liberec, Ocelari Trinec

Switzerland; SC Bern, ZSC Lions Zurich

Germany; Red Bull Munich, Adler Mannheim

Austria; Red Bull Salzburg, Vienna Capitals

UK; Cardiff Devils, Nottingham Panthers.

Having watched the draw the last few years, it is very complicated so not sure what the rules are regarding who can go in what group, but there can't be two teams from the same country in the same group, and the two wildcards can't go in the same group, so we will not play the Polish side or the Panthers.

I think I fancy teams from Germany, Austria or Switzerland. The Red Bull teams would be great.

Some of the teams in Finland and Sweden looks like they're pretty difficult to get to, and I'd like as many Devils fans going to the away games as possible to show Europe what were made of!

AvsFan likes this.
  2. rocketbob

rocketbob Member

Would love to get Frolunda. Fingers crossed.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

3. Finny

Finny Well-Known Member

CHL is reducing the number of teams this season from 48 to 32, but it means an increase in the number of teams in each group from 3 to 4 (and so 6 games instead of 4).

Based on previous years the teams will all be seeded so we're almost certain to face either a Swedish or Finish team and German/Swiss/Austrian team.

Last year the draw was at the start of May so only around 6 weeks until we know!!

4. Finny

Finny Well-Known Member

Actually, because of the seeding system I think we're almost certain to play teams from 3 of these 6 countries:
    Sweden, Finland, Czech Republic, Switzerland, Germany, Austria.

Devil94 and rocketbob like this.
  5. Rob Batch

Rob Batch Active Member

When is it and will we have our present team?

6. JC23

JC23 Active Member

Starts in August Rob, and we will have whatever team we put together for next season generally.

Ben Waldron likes this.
  7. Rob Batch

Rob Batch Active Member

Cheers JC

JC23 likes this.
  8. trapped

trapped Member

I have friends in Turku, so it would be great to draw them or Tappara and have an excuse for a visit.

9. C'mon U Devils

C'mon U Devils New Member

Would love to draw HV71 to catch u with some friends we have out there

10. Ted_S

Ted_S Member

I started looking at how easy travel might be / where they are exactly...and came across this 2016 Canadiens article that looked at the european fan experience and atmosphere. I thought it was worth sharing. Our travelling Red Army have repeatedly made the atmosphere at a number of rinks that has been commented on by more than one visitor to the club. At home, the experience in IAW is (IMHO) equal to the show, but the German atmosphere (admittedly from video) is on another level. All of which makes the CHL an exciting prospect and not possible but for the fact WE ARE CHAMPIONS!!!
    http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2...da-Malmo-Bratislava-Yaroslavl-SHL-KHL-NHL-NLA

11. Devil94

Devil94 Active Member

Awesome!

12. Devil94

Devil94 Active Member

Some rinks in Europe are unreal, won't see the atmosphere beat anywhere in the world in any sport. Unfortunately, the CHL is a competition they haven't fully taken to yet in the continent. Can't see a team from Wales being that attractive to fans of a SHL club, but I'm sure we'll show them what we're made of, off and on the ice.

It's a shame that the whole team that got us there won't be playing in it, but hopefully the majority will be back.

Ted_S likes this.
  13. Wannabe2

Wannabe2 Well-Known Member

Don't take this the wrong way, but I am not a lover of the CHL, my love is all about domestic hockey, the Bread and Butter if you like. Putting players through extra games and risking injuries in a competition that UK teams are never going to win and I mean that respectfully, is not ideal preparation to me. For players to travel, and experience different cultures must be pretty neat. But no one remembers those who qualified through the earlier rounds and then fell short. Domestic hockey to me is everything, beating our fiercest rivals is what it's all about. To me I love the Nth American version, as opposed to the European version , and this is what hockey is all about, yes the European way is fast and skillful, but give me blood and guts domestic hockey every day of the week.

JC23 likes this.
  14. Devil94

Devil94 Active Member

Seeing our own team, playing against the best clubs in Europe. For me, that can only be a good thing.

wildthing74 and He Drives A Car like this.
  15. Ocko

Ocko Well-Known Member

I can't wait to see what we can do against top European teams. We proved against KHL and Slovakian opposition that we won't be pushovers.

I'm not at all expecting us to get to the finals or anything but I genuinely think we could offer the competition something different and cause an upset or two. We are a very different team to the Steelers and Panthers teams that have been in the competition previously, I think they tried to be too like their opposition (especially Thompson) which they would never be able to get anywhere near to. Being a very North American type of team will certainly give European teams something different to have to think about.

This is totally exciting!

16. Ted_S

Ted_S Member

No arguments Wannabe2.
    Probably the reason why the Cup (until that awesome final) has failed to ignite (other) teams imagination.
    Domestic and League has been the Holy Grail. However, if the CHL is a prize of our success, then why not dive in and enjoy it. An away trip to an exotic European city as you say, could be a neat experience for the fans as well, in much the same way that the GB fans enjoyed the experience this last year.

17. Josh Williamson

Josh Williamson Member

Entering the CHL is an amazing opportunity for the club and us fans. We have the best travelling fans in the league. I'm sure the club will want to be and can be competitive both within the EIHL and CHL. In the long term I'm sure better UK teams within the CHL will benefit the EIHL, it certainly needs improvement.

18. Devil_Abroad

Devil_Abroad Well-Known Member

Surely the players deserve their trip into CHL and to experience top quality hockey? I think most if not all will be looking forward to it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

19. Devil94

Devil94 Active Member

On the devils story about the Krefeld game, it says that the CHL starts the following weekend. That would be August 26th.
    If we play 3 teams twice, does that mean for three weekends we'll play CHL games? Or are games going to be squeezed in to a two period?

20. ASHIPP

ASHIPP Well-Known Member

To participate in that elite group of teams competing in the CHL an achievement most teams can only dream of.
    To be pittted against teams of that quality is a challenge relished by teams and their fans, win or lose.
    The downside reality is the toll it takes on players' fitness...and the capability of a team to do well in the domestic schedule, particularly if they are defending titles. The schedule congestion is crazy. Panthers and Steelers proved these things in this last season.