CHL Travel Advice

Thread starter #1
My annual visit here, as you always seem to get teams I know about! I'm still living in Prague, and I lived in Graz for Uni a few years ago.

Mountfield - train from Prague is by far the easiest way. There are two options: to Pardubice (important junction, so loads of trains from Prague go through here) and change (20 minutes then on a smaller regional train), or a less frequent one to Hradec Kralove directly. I don't think it's overly furnished with hotels though, so staying in Pardubice is also an pption, or Prague (see below).

Graz - we have a direct train running from Prague to Graz, which goes through Pardubice. So this means you can either sleep in Hradec, and then go back to Pardubice, and get on the train coming through to Graz; or go back to Prague after your Mountfield game, and take the train in Prague. Either work.

For buying train tickets from anywhere in Cz to Graz, use the Czech railway company as it is mostly cheaper than using ÖBB: https://cd.cz/eshop (can change the language by clicking flag icon). They won't be on sale yet as it's too far ahead, but it'll be fine.

Getting back to Prague after the Mountfield game?
It is do-able, I've done it before a few times. The last train* from Hradec back to Pardubice goes at 21:04, there's a bus coming past the arena at about 20:45, which gets you there in time, and you'll see a lot of their fans doing that too. Your game starts at 18:00, so it will be done by 20:10 or so, maybe add another 15 minutes if it goes to OT/Shootout. Remember, CHL games always start on time for TV. if the game ended by half past you could actually walk to the train station in time at a decent pace. In Pardubice there's a 14 or so minute connection for the train back to Prague, however other Intercity trains, especially coming from Budapest, are often delayed and you can jump on something earlier.

Graz is really pretty, quite small but a lovely hill to walk up in the centre and get nice views. Generally your game tickets there count for public transport an hour before/after the game as well. The arena is in the south, but only takes 7-10 minutes on a tram.

I wouldn't worry about tickets in either venue - Hradec's rink holds quite a lot, and they barely hit 3,000 in CHL. Away section is in one corner, standing only. Graz struggle to get over 2,000 in the league games unless it's playoffs or against a close team. Away end is behind the goal you attack 2x, and is standing. But in both places you can take a seat somewhere else.

If you're going back to Prague after the Graz game (I think it maybe has better flights than Vienna?), then book the return ticket via ČD - it will be a lot cheaper than buying Graz > Prague from the Austrian company separately! Bratislava might also be an option - 2hr10 or so train to Vienna, and then switch to a 40 minute one to Bratislava. Taxi to the airport there from station should be about €10, or the bus is €0.90.

Anything else, let me know.

*Edit: Is technically not the last train, but the next one is at 22:32, with a 20 minute change, getting back to Prague at 00:11. I guess if you've won and wanna go celebrating it's not a bad alternative, but I never waited around that long.

Last edited:

Ger-Devils

My annual visit here, as you always seem to get teams I know about! I'm still living in Prague, and I lived in Graz for Uni a few years ago.

Mountfield - train from Prague is by far the easiest way. There are two options: to Pardubice (important junction, so loads of trains from Prague go through here) and change (20 minutes then on a smaller regional train), or a less frequent one to Hradec Kralove directly. I don't think it's overly furnished with hotels though, so staying in Pardubice is also an pption, or Prague (see below).

Graz - we have a direct train running from Prague to Graz, which goes through Pardubice. So this means you can either sleep in Hradec, and then go back to Pardubice, and get on the train coming through to Graz; or go back to Prague after your Mountfield game, and take the train in Prague. Either work.

For buying train tickets from anywhere in Cz to Graz, use the Czech railway company as it is mostly cheaper than using ÖBB: https://cd.cz/eshop (can change the language by clicking flag icon). They won't be on sale yet as it's too far ahead, but it'll be fine.

Getting back to Prague after the Mountfield game?
It is do-able, I've done it before a few times. The last train* from Hradec back to Pardubice goes at 21:04, there's a bus coming past the arena at about 20:45, which gets you there in time, and you'll see a lot of their fans doing that too. Your game starts at 18:00, so it will be done by 20:10 or so, maybe add another 15 minutes if it goes to OT/Shootout. Remember, CHL games always start on time for TV. if the game ended by half past you could actually walk to the train station in time at a decent pace. In Pardubice there's a 14 or so minute connection for the train back to Prague, however other Intercity trains, especially coming from Budapest, are often delayed and you can jump on something earlier.

Graz is really pretty, quite small but a lovely hill to walk up in the centre and get nice views. Generally your game tickets there count for public transport an hour before/after the game as well. The arena is in the south, but only takes 7-10 minutes on a tram.

I wouldn't worry about tickets in either venue - Hradec's rink holds quite a lot, and they barely hit 3,000 in CHL. Away section is in one corner, standing only. Graz struggle to get over 2,000 in the league games unless it's playoffs or against a close team. Away end is behind the goal you attack 2x, and is standing. But in both places you can take a seat somewhere else.

If you're going back to Prague after the Graz game (I think it maybe has better flights than Vienna?), then book the return ticket via ČD - it will be a lot cheaper than buying Graz > Prague from the Austrian company separately! Bratislava might also be an option - 2hr10 or so train to Vienna, and then switch to a 40 minute one to Bratislava. Taxi to the airport there from station should be about €10, or the bus is €0.90.

Anything else, let me know.

*Edit: Is technically not the last train, but the next one is at 22:32, with a 20 minute change, getting back to Prague at 00:11. I guess if you've won and wanna go celebrating it's not a bad alternative, but I never waited around that long.
We’ve got a group deal for Graz and Frölunda confirmed, just waiting on Mountfield.

The Panthers fans had to run for their train after the game in Mountfield so I’ve contacted a few bus firms in Prague to book a bus for fans to make it easier.

We’ve put the info pack together via @DevilsinChl on twitter

Info @ https://www.dropbox.com/s/hlg3itg14x7ql17/Group H travel 1.pdf?dl=0

Thread starter #4
We’ve got a group deal for Graz and Frölunda confirmed, just waiting on Mountfield.

The Panthers fans had to run for their train after the game in Mountfield so I’ve contacted a few bus firms in Prague to book a bus for fans to make it easier.

We’ve put the info pack together via @DevilsinChl on twitter

Info @ https://www.dropbox.com/s/hlg3itg14x7ql17/Group H travel 1.pdf?dl=0
I did read over that, I would just suggest you add in to buy train tickets via CD and not OBB for better prices; don't go to Hradec by bus as they're in frequent and take longer; and also the train to Graz doesn't go through Germany :D

Ger-Devils

I did read over that, I would just suggest you add in to buy train tickets via CD and not OBB for better prices; don't go to Hradec by bus as they're in frequent and take longer; and also the train to Graz doesn't go through Germany :D
I think Chris is changing that...

He’s currently heading to Sweden so will be later today.

With Hradec- would be a private booking bus not a public option.

I paid £23 for my train from Prague - Graz. I did use the OBB website but wasn’t too pad price wise.

tim78

Flights Booked to Prague, looking to stay there and possibly an over night in Grazz.

Anyone interested in looking at car hire for the week ( will be out for Wed - Sun)?

Im all booked tue 3rd-i arrive in Prague from Bristol, im doing two nights in prague, then head to mountfield on thursday on friday i then head to Graz for two days then fly back frm Prague on Sunday. Im unsure wheter to do train or Rental. I'd rather take a rental but the train looks simple.

Ger-Devils

Im all booked tue 3rd-i arrive in Prague from Bristol, im doing two nights in prague, then head to mountfield on thursday on friday i then head to Graz for two days then fly back frm Prague on Sunday. Im unsure wheter to do train or Rental. I'd rather take a rental but the train looks simple.
Staying in Mountfield?

Most if not all are basing in Prague. We’re organising buses for fans due to the train times back after the game- more info Monday.

Train option to Graz better I think. Direct and we used the train from salzburg- Bern last year and around the same time. Handy enough, bag of cans and some food and surprising how quick the time went.