CHL Draw

Looking to go to Vaxjo any suggestions from those who went last year on where to stay and how to get there? thinking of flying Copenhagen and then train but no idea on hotels so any help appreciated

Ger-Devils

Booked up for Salzburg and Bern so far. Night in Munich before heading to Salzburg.

Thankfully decent prices from Dublin! Always good living away with better routes and airlines

Pondlife

Booked up for Salzburg and Bern so far. Night in Munich before heading to Salzburg.

Thankfully decent prices from Dublin! Always good living away with better routes and airlines
I'm looking at flying Hamburg* Munich and then train to Salzburg, then it looks like flight to Zurich and train to Bern?

* I'm arranging to be there for work that week :)

Ger-Devils

If anyone is looking at Salzburg but flights are expensive, look st flying to Munich then train to Salzburg- it’s 1 hour 50 away and £17

We paid £63 for two of us for our journey from Salzburg -Bern it’s 6 hours but highly recommended by a friend and a lot cheaper than flying to Bern/Zurich

Devil_Abroad

Have you seen the prices of fights from Salzburg? Train much cheaper ok maybe6 hours but saving hundreds
And 2 first class tickets only £85! (Mind you we paid for Bern but ended up getting off at Zurich to pick up a car as the opening times for the office of Europcar in Bern is pants lol - plus we’re driving back to Zurich to pick up a friend at 9pm)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I can't give you as much guidance this year as you don't have a Czech team, but I used to live in Austria so am familiar with going to Salzburg. The Munich + Train option is a really good shout, and actually that's easier than going to Vienna or somewhere & taking the train from there.

Salzburg is BEAUTIFUL. It's not very big so everything is pretty much walkable, but it's almost exactly what you imagine Austria to be like. The rink is on a bus line or you can walk from the "centre" in about 25-30 minutes. When they've had big away crowds in CHL they've given them the whole of the upstairs behind one goal (Bystrica last year had 400+ fans, Steelers before had several hundred) so I expect something similar will happen. The away block is normally 40% or so of the seats up there. We did a 'Feature game' there last year and booked an AirBnB which was really nice.

Going to Bern/Zurich by train from Salzburg is absolutely the best idea I can give you. Just don't bother flying. I know at home we have a poor opinion of trains, but these OBB Railjet ones are really nice and have an on-board restaurant where you can sit down for a cooked meal. Regular tickets are in a 2/2 (so four seats separated by an aisle) configuration with some tables, and the first class are a 2/1 set-up with leather chairs. If you take first, they'll serve you orders from the restaurant at your seat and you have a bit more space. In economy you can either go to the restaurant car, or a trolley does come through with refreshments & sandwiches. Six hours seems like a lot but if you factor in that with a plane you have to travel 30 minutes to the airport, be there 2hrs before, do the flight (an hour) which may involve a connection (then 2-3hrs), and then another 30 minutes getting out of the airport etc. it's almost the same! It's a very comfortable ride, there's usually WiFi, and the scenery is lovely. Plus you go from city centre to city centre.

Switzerland is expensive, I'm sure you remember from Davos. Bern have a massive rink so you won't need to worry about tickets. Also there's no EU Roaming with your phones there so data costs.

Vaxjo... Copenhagen & Train is by far the simplest way to do it apart from direct, unless you can get a cheap flight to Malmo or something - but even then you need to get into the city which is a pain.

Gough60

ukavsfan.
The info you provided for our trip to Prague/Liberic last year was spot on. Will once again use your info for trip do Vaxjo this year. Diolch yn fawr.
This guy knows what he's talking about.

You're very welcome :)

I meant to add - EV Zug play Eisbaren Berlin on the day in between your games in Salzburg & Bern. Zug is only a 30 minute ride from Zurich, game starts at 19:45. So if you wanted to take an earlier train and see some other teams, it's a good option.

Devil_Abroad

I can't give you as much guidance this year as you don't have a Czech team, but I used to live in Austria so am familiar with going to Salzburg. The Munich + Train option is a really good shout, and actually that's easier than going to Vienna or somewhere & taking the train from there.

Salzburg is BEAUTIFUL. It's not very big so everything is pretty much walkable, but it's almost exactly what you imagine Austria to be like. The rink is on a bus line or you can walk from the "centre" in about 25-30 minutes. When they've had big away crowds in CHL they've given them the whole of the upstairs behind one goal (Bystrica last year had 400+ fans, Steelers before had several hundred) so I expect something similar will happen. The away block is normally 40% or so of the seats up there. We did a 'Feature game' there last year and booked an AirBnB which was really nice.

Going to Bern/Zurich by train from Salzburg is absolutely the best idea I can give you. Just don't bother flying. I know at home we have a poor opinion of trains, but these OBB Railjet ones are really nice and have an on-board restaurant where you can sit down for a cooked meal. Regular tickets are in a 2/2 (so four seats separated by an aisle) configuration with some tables, and the first class are a 2/1 set-up with leather chairs. If you take first, they'll serve you orders from the restaurant at your seat and you have a bit more space. In economy you can either go to the restaurant car, or a trolley does come through with refreshments & sandwiches. Six hours seems like a lot but if you factor in that with a plane you have to travel 30 minutes to the airport, be there 2hrs before, do the flight (an hour) which may involve a connection (then 2-3hrs), and then another 30 minutes getting out of the airport etc. it's almost the same! It's a very comfortable ride, there's usually WiFi, and the scenery is lovely. Plus you go from city centre to city centre.

Switzerland is expensive, I'm sure you remember from Davos. Bern have a massive rink so you won't need to worry about tickets. Also there's no EU Roaming with your phones there so data costs.

Vaxjo... Copenhagen & Train is by far the simplest way to do it apart from direct, unless you can get a cheap flight to Malmo or something - but even then you need to get into the city which is a pain.
Thank you

For those Three customers Switzerland is covered

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

drainage

We booked first class train tickets based on 1 it’s not much dearer 2 it must be better than not booking them thanks for info we pretty much followed your advice without seeing it cheers

drainage

Looking to go to Vaxjo any suggestions from those who went last year on where to stay and how to get there? thinking of flying Copenhagen and then train but no idea on hotels so any help appreciated
Most of us stayed in Hotel Varend but Hotel Esplanad isn’t far from it ....it’s actually a fairly small place , not cheap think we paid £18 for a round of 3 drinks in one of the “reasonably” priced bars ! But the locals were very friendly kept the bar open for us and we had a great time

Most of us stayed in Hotel Varend but Hotel Esplanad isn’t far from it ....it’s actually a fairly small place , not cheap think we paid £18 for a round of 3 drinks in one of the “reasonably” priced bars ! But the locals were very friendly kept the bar open for us and we had a great time
Many thanks for the info, much appreciated

Ok i am very interested in this trip. to the 2 games. Salzberg & Bern.
i have no idea where to start, for booking the whole thing together. can someone who has already booked send me their itinerary, so i can book something similar, fliight / tains / hotels / tickets etc.
i've not got a clue! I can PM you my email address.
thanks in advance

Devil94

I would recommend booking a flight to Salzburg on the Wednesday, from London.
Then a train from Salzburg to Bern on the Friday.
And then a train to either Geneva Airport or Zurich airport for a flight whenever you want to come back. There's loads of flight options from those two airports.

drainage

i have no idea where to start, for booking the whole thing together. can someone who has already booked send me their itinerary, so i can book something similar, fliight / tains / hotels / tickets etc.
thanks in advance
We booked Heathrow to Munich train to Salzberg Hotel Turnerwit train to Bern think it’s an Ibis then train to Zurich and flight to Heathrow. For Vaxjo Luton to Copenhagen (lots doing Stockholm but it was £118 vs £46 flight wise and little difference in trip Vaxjo ) staying in Steelhouse then train to Vaxjo staying in hotel Varend

We dd this trip last year. KLM service from Cardiff to Copenhagen via Amsterdam was slightly more expensive than some of the London airports but when you factor in in the travelling time and petrol costs, plus avoiding the hours on the motorways it is a better option in my opinion.
We stayed a night in Copenhagen then got the train to vaxjo and stayed one night. There, nice clean city but we found it a bit slow and sleepy so glad we had booked to leave the following morning and spend a further night in Copenhagen. Vaxjo arena is something else and the fans were very friendly,.

Ger-Devils

thanks in advance
If you’d like any info regarding tickets, flights, hotels, trains just drop us a message