CHL against Continental Cup

Kevlar68

Thread starter #1
I was thinking this over today after last nights loss. Its a tricky one.

We want to win the league that's a no brainer but we go in to CHL as winners and as a player you always want to play against the best and we as supporters want to watch the team play against the best.

OR

enter Continental Cup where we could have more success in Europe also as a player you want to win trophies.

Is the financial gain that much of a difference do you think between the 2 European cups or between winning the EIHL or winning Continental Cup?

Love seeing our boys win the league without a doubt, love seeing them playing against the best in Europe but would we ever win the CHL?

Look at Nottingham 2016-17, would we have a much better chance winning a European title in the Continental Cup?

Sorry for waffling

What's your thoughts.

Gazza272

We want to win the league that's a no brainer but we go in to CHL as winners and as a player you always want to play against the best and we as supporters want to watch the team play against the best.

OR

enter Continental Cup where we could have more success in Europe also as a player you want to win trophies.

Is the financial gain that much of a difference do you think between the 2 European cups or between winning the EIHL or winning Continental Cup?

Love seeing our boys win the league without a doubt, love seeing them playing against the best in Europe but would we ever win the CHL?

Look at Nottingham 2016-17, would we have a much better chance winning a European title in the Continental Cup?

Sorry for waffling

What's your thoughts.
Continental cup is a minimum gain in terms of money I would think. No TV money for starters, also you have to factor in the fact that if you aren't drawn at home in any of the stages then it is all expenditure as you don't have any home gate receipts.

CHL is where it's at, last night we went punch for punch with an SHL team, it was amazing to watch, and had a real European night feel to it, a big occasion. While the Continental cup would undoubtedly be a good experience, I wouldn't trade it for these last two CHL campaigns.

James

Administrator
CHL every time. There's a reason why winning the Conti cup gets you a CHL position. There's always the Aladdin cup to shoot for if we just want to add other meaningless trophies :D

Continental Cup is 2nd Class in comparison to the CHL, obviously.

The Cont. Cup is a great competition to be in but you want to be playing the best of the best to push the team to new heights and challenge players to be the best they can be.

Playing any team who isn't a 4th seed in the CHL, which can't happen because any EIHL is classed as 4th seed, is better than playing in the Continental Cup. Would you rather play the high rollers of Switzerland, or the extremely quick and clinical Scandinavians.. or possibly find yourself spending the weekend in rural Spain against a team of bin men like Panthers did in the Continental Cup winning season. The finalists Panthers played against, Ritten, Odense and Atyrau are all good teams but they aren't a shadow on the CHL teams.

CHL everytime, even if you don't win a game. It's just a huge honour for British teams to play against Europe's best.

tim78

I'd be happy for the Devils to get a chance at winning the continental cup at some point, don't want to leave only 1 UK team with that trophy. Though a grand slam season is top of the list.

Diafol

Ask fans of a football club, let's say... Arsenal this season.
Champions League or Europa League ?

I'm sure 100% of their fans would say Champions League.
Football teams only want to win the Europa League because it gets you a place in the top competition the next season.

Hockey is the same, just substitute Europa League for Continental Cup.
No contest as far as I'm concerned.

drainage

OR

Sorry for waffling

What's your thoughts.
As a European sceptic I would say CHL ....was of the view it would hamper us in league , so far it hasn’t and the calibre of opposition has definitely proved entertaining and helped team move forward

pjj365

IIRC Todd said in one of his Q&As that CHL does not make any money but he still wants to be there

Can't imagine Conti cup is any different - so aim high. CHL brings status and, so we are told, interest from good players

Would we have recruited KHL, SHL, DEL standard players without CHL games on offer

Kevlar68

Thread starter #13
I still think it would be nice to have Continental Cup added to our cup winning history and then we also get in to CHL.

OJLloyd

I’m not sure the comparison is more Champions League v Intertoto Cup.

It’s not a trophy I’m bothered about, but if we ever ended up in it I’d obviously want us to win it.

Kevlar68

Thread starter #16
So with Belfast now having home advantage for final and top of league what would happen in CHL. Do they get a automatic place if they win final? If so what about the place they may get if they win the league? or have i got it all wrong?

JC23

So with Belfast now having home advantage for final and top of league what would happen in CHL. Do they get a automatic place if they win final? If so what about the place they may get if they win the league? or have i got it all wrong?
I believe if they win both, then winner of CC gets the second spot.

pjj365

I believe the Conti Cup winner has to be invited to play in CHL and this is on top of leauge winners
There is, I think, only 1 spot otherwise and even this is not guaranteed. Other than the founding CHL teams my understanding is that all other spots are by invitation