challenge cup

BostonBart22

Thread starter #1
Anyone think this cup competition has had its day in the current format, this season we gotta play flames and blaze 4 times each, someone mentioned to me that whoever finishes 3rd in our group could still qualify, I think it would be more interesting if the lge invited say 5or 6 teams from a lower lge and have a straight 2 leg knockout system in place , would be good for the lower lge teams as well to play a team from the top flight. And a chance to see new teams .

Playing the same teams over and over again in the group stage does get old but for me the issue has always been, what could replace the Challenge Cup? I personally find it more interesting when it gets to the playoffs but I guess in a way that’s sort of why some buildings don’t sell well in mainland Europe during the CHL Group Stage, because they get interested when it’s an all or nothing scenario in the playoffs.
I like the idea of inviting lower league teams up in principal but in all honesty the difference between the two leagues is so big that it wouldn’t be viable to have a team with loads of imports going up against a league with mostly Brits and two imports. It wouldn’t work, There are some great players down in the NIHL but not to the extent that they’d be doing anything more than making up the numbers.

I have a love hate relationship with the CC, I think the way it’s done this year needs to be looked at again. You could finish bottom of Group B and C I believe with no wins but if you win the placement game you make it to the playoffs. But it’s all down to the financial disparity in the league. The ideal would be to split the league down the middle for group stages but that’s not cost effective to some teams, and right now as you can see with the recent roster regulation changes, the league is trying to create a sustainable product, so teams having to pay out more for trips to cities not currently in their group sort of hinders that.

Personally I think the only issue I have is how often we play two teams in the first couple months because it does get repetitive particularly when you look forward to rivalry games like Belfast and Sheffield.

kingmo19.1

Put 2 NIHL select teams in (one representing the North and the other the South). They can both have the same no of imports if they wish as an EIHL side.