Challenge Cup Jersey Auction

Thread starter #1
The Smart Solutions Cardiff Devils would like to announce that this seasons Game Worn Black Challenge Cup Jerseys will be auctioned in the bar at the BBT following the Elite League Fixture this Sunday (16th) versus the Sheffield Steelers.

We will be joined in the bar by ALL of the Current Cardiff Devils squad who will be present for photographs with the auction winners and their Jerseys as well as signing opportunities for the fans.

The auction will start as soon as possible following the game (once the guys are showered and changed) and will take place in the bar area of the Cardiff Bay Arena.

We wish to offer a welcome to all fans, even if you do not wish to join in the auction, to join the team for a drink and hopefully celebrate a victory over the Steelers.

This will be the only opportunity to purchase game worn Challenge Cup Jerseys as no replica Challenge Cup Jerseys are produced.

Payment for all jerseys will be required on the night and payment can be made in Cash or via Debit or Credit Card. Your Jersey will be available to take home straight away.
We look forward to seeing you all soon

Paul Sullivan

It varies wildly but usually three factors govern:

1) The player who wore the jersey
2) The season / success of that jersey
3) The colour

Whilst there are some bargains to be had - and often you can pick up a gamer for £50 or less, the big guns often breach £200. Some of these might be spicy.

This is because, although it's been a far from stellar season, there are a few 'last jerseys' (Hill, Blight, Myers) and also several players who are popular but not necessarily returning next year.

Add to that that since the black jerseys were introduced in 2002-3 they have always been very popular, with probably red in second place (particularly in recent years with the 'Red Army' moniker being so prevalent.

Good luck. And remember - there's another auction on 25th of some VERY collectable jerseys :D

Koop11

The timing of the auction makes sense to me. Not long knocked out of the CC, a big fixture/crowd v Sheffield. Why wouldn’t they do the auction last night….?

It would be interesting to see whose jersey went for what.

Koop11 said:
he timing of the auction makes sense to me. Not long knocked out of the CC, a big fixture/crowd v Sheffield. Why wouldn’t they do the auction last night….?
The reason last nights date was chosen was so that it hopefully WOULDN'T interfere with G's testimonial auction
Obviously it is going to but with so many jerseys to auction before the end of the season spreading the dates out makes perfect sense to me

The only other date suggested was 1st March, only 4 days after G's game when (if they go ahead) the St Davids Day shirts will also be auctioned.

You would then have
All of G's testimonial jerseys
Challenge cup & St Davids Day jerseys
Playoff tickets
Playoff travel
Season ticket renewal
End of season awards
Home & away set 2 shirt auction
Playoff weekend
Home & away playoff jersey auction
All in less than 6 weeks

In my opinion the club made the right decision, they didn't have to ask the Stakeholders Group and CDRA for their advice but they did

Sliput said:
Sheincar said:
If you say so. Why not done when Pope & Ackland were around, ie people who know what they're doing with auctions?
You cant stand Pope so why would you want him anywhere near it ?
Because he & Ackland are good at doing the auctions.[/quote]
It's not difficult is it really? Even you or I could do it.[/quote]

---End Quotes---

Seemed to run very well, everything efficient such as paying, distribution of shirts, player photos/autographing. Some very high values obtained on several shirts - the purpose of an auction.

Pope/Ackland may be good, but Agland appeared to be better! A change for the good in my opinion.

mweller

Just wanted to say thanks to the club for organising this and getting the players to come to the bar after. My daughter went away beaming after getting 5 signatures on her jersey (although no Kurka). They were all affable and approachable, so well done all round.

Didn't bid on a jersey - Kurka went for 250 I think. Faulkner was a bit of a bargain at 140 I thought.

drainage

Spearsy said:
Sheincar said:
Hastily arranged to take your money so you have less to spend on G's testimonial shirts.
Cc jersey auction always happens a week or two after the last cc game.
That's a crazy comment.
Agreed and if you want a shirt from Gs testimonial save your money for then surely??? No one is forcing anyone to buy anything !

drainage

Koop11 said:
The timing of the auction makes sense to me. Not long knocked out of the CC, a big fixture/crowd v Sheffield. Why wouldn’t they do the auction last night….?

It would be interesting to see whose jersey went for what.
Also if we waited for Pope ....we would be in danger of colliding with end of season? He's not back until early March is he if he is gone for the 5 weeks it was stated and they will want to do 2nd lot of game worns then??