Challenge cup final

Hedd Wyn John

About 11/1200 more like it.
I heard 1000 tickets had been held back for Belfast fans and 1500 or so for ST holders, anything left over on sale friday.

Edit: I didn’t realise Giants had only sold half their allocation so yes you’d be about right.

Last edited:

Ger-Devils

I heard 1000 tickets had been held back for Belfast fans and 1500 or so for ST holders, anything left over on sale friday.

Edit: I didn’t realise Giants had only sold half their allocation so yes you’d be about right.
I think it’s just over 300 they’ve sold so the figures quoted by Wannabe for sale yesterday are pretty much spot on.

Giants only had until the end of Sunday’s game v Storm to book their tickets from their supporters club.

Pondlife

Giants have a home game against MK on the Sat evening. Given that there's just the one flight into Bristol on the Sunday that gives enough time to get to IAW and one in to Birmingham that lands at 16:05, I think they will struggle to bring numbers over.

Wannabe2

Think the face off should be changed to 4pm ( that’s a joke folks ) although some may not get it. If it was me I would come over on the Saturday, have a good night then cheer my team on.

pjj365

Think the face off should be changed to 4pm ( that’s a joke folks ) although some may not get it. If it was me I would come over on the Saturday, have a good night then cheer my team on.
Seems to be a reasonable number coming over on Friday. The other I have seen is coach leaving the arena 230am Sunday returning Monday

Ger-Devils

Giants have a home game against MK on the Sat evening. Given that there's just the one flight into Bristol on the Sunday that gives enough time to get to IAW and one in to Birmingham that lands at 16:05, I think they will struggle to bring numbers over.
They’ll be flying to Cardiff so in around 4 on Sunday

Tad-cu

The problem is not the website or the computer system - it’s the fact that tickets went on general sale!
People who have hardly been to a game should not be entitled to buy one.
Supporters should be applying based on the number of tickets ordered this season.
Eg Monday 12+games
Tuesday 10+ games etc
This was raised by the Fan Council a year ago after the ticket chaos at the final 2017.
However, the club are unwilling to put a recording system in place.

pjj365

The problem is not the website or the computer system - it’s the fact that tickets went on general sale!
Supporters should be applying based on the number of tickets ordered this season.
Eg Monday 12+games
Tuesday 10+ games etc
This was raised by the Fan Council a year ago after the ticket chaos at the final 2017.
I understand the sentiment but the the need to record on-line sales plus the need to take names from walk ups then interfacing the two sets of data sounds easy but for about 1500 people a week it is probably not. I suspect it is also not that easy when it comes to ticket applications and the need to match recorded attendance numbers against applications. Manually it would be seriously prone to error and labour intensive but computer systems don't come cheap

If there such an existing system then it could be looked at. My guess is that such systems exist for major soccer clubs, maybe NFL or NHL , but I suspect we do not have the numbers and thus revenues to afford this.

It would be good though

pjj365

Two other thoughts occurred as I shut down last night

A priority booking system is relevant only if Devils make the finals and these are hosted at IAW. With a typical 5 year cost recovery/write off period on investment (a bit long for IT systems to be fair) I am not sure I would invest in these two scenarios occurring simultaneously every year for that 5 years

Secondly the system would need to pay for itself and whilst I do not know the financial cost of ticketing for the CC final with the Devils involved (the emotional cost of the people will probably be quite high though!) I have my doubts that there would be any significant return on the investment

Eg Monday 12+games
Tuesday 10+ games etc
Recording that would be a time-consuming and expensive, and when you look at return of equity, what exactly would the club benefit from it? They'll sell out either way. They're already taking steps to reward their ST holders (I'm not one, I'll stress; I'm missing out on the final.), but the rewards of undertaking a tracking system are practically non-existent compared to the effort involved.

Plus, how elitist does this look to the casual observer? "I wanted to give hockey a go, but apparently I'm not a big enough fan to buy a ticket." How will the sport grow if you start alienating newcomers? And even those long standing fans , who love and support the club but either live too distant to regularly attend or can't afford to go to many games, would be snubbed out by the system. It's not something that's done by any other sport, and there's a reason for that; it's a poor attitude to take.

Yes tickets are scarce; it's one of the biggest hockey events of the year in our own ground, there's naturally going to be a lot of people wanting tickets. But you have no more right to them than someone deciding to go to their first game.

Last edited:
Recording that would be a time-consuming and expensive, and when you look at return of equity, what exactly would the club benefit from it? They'll sell out either way. They're already taking steps to reward their ST holders (I'm not one, I'll stress; I'm missing out on the final.), but the rewards of undertaking a tracking system are practically non-existent compared to the effort involved.

Plus, how elitist does this look to the casual observer? "I wanted to give hockey a go, but apparently I'm not a big enough fan to buy a ticket." How will the sport grow if you start alienating newcomers? And even those long standing fans , who love and support the club but either live too distant to regularly attend or can't afford to go to many games, would be snubbed out by the system. It's not something that's done by any other sport, and there's a reason for that; it's a poor attitude to take.

Yes tickets are scarce; it's one of the biggest hockey events of the year in our own ground, there's naturally going to be a lot of people wanting tickets. But you have no more right to them than someone deciding to go to their first game.

Completely agree with this. If you want those perks, buy a season ticket - simple. I'm not a season ticket holder this year, I was last year, and I had to battle with the website, just like everyone else!

Devil94

Should never hold it in a 3000 seater stadium.
what was wrong with Sheffield?
Could even hold it in Nottingham.
If this years' final was in Sheffield, there would be about a 1000 fans there in a 10,000 seater arena. Wouldn't feel like much of a final.

As it is not guaranteed a neutral venue, which it hasn't been in the 3 of the last 4 years, wouldn't it make sense that the final is a two legged tie as well? It wouldn't have that one off game final feel, but it would definitely be fairer on everyone. And as we all know, two legged match ups can make for very entertaining stuff.

pjj365

Should never hold it in a 3000 seater stadium.
what was wrong with Sheffield?
Could even hold it in Nottingham.
Doubt it would sell out or the "problems" we are seeing would exist if Devils were not in the final

What was wrong with Sheffield - cost as explained by Todd last year

Don't believe Nottingham bid for it