Carruth Going?

terry hunt

The latest 2Ales podcast has the date of Myers testimonial plus some hints for those interested.
I hope to attend this game it should be entertaining.

moggy#9

I think we would be stupid not to go for a goalie who knows the league and the club inside out, has won the league twice, play offs twice and challenge Cup twice, with him playing in almost every game. Tier 1 Intentional starting goalie, decent stats in Europe. And crucially will allow us an extra import skater.

You could argue very successfully that Carruth is the 'better' netminder on the ice, more entertaining too, but when looking at the whole package, including his personality/mindset, for a team environment is it actually better? After all, Mac has won bugger all in his pro career.

He might not be available anyway, or might not want to come back. But to turn our nose up on our most successful goalie of all time would be silly.
To be blunt, I think that's sentiment speaking. Past performance is not necessarily and indication of future success. Carruth this season has shown that an active goalie can't be a useful offensive weapon. We should always her looking to improve.

In the same way that people were sad to see Myers go (it was IMO right decision given the options), things move on. I'd love to see fournier or Martin back, but goalie is a different kettle of fish compared to other positions.

E.D.S.

Fournier is the real hole that can never be filled. What a player. Guys that played with him didn’t understand why he didn’t make the show - hands and skating ability on another level. Hotham was outstanding for us and real Devils legend but you could see why he didn’t reach the top, he wasn’t as mobile as you need for NHL but Fournier was just a different level. May be his size was the reason but what a player.

Devil94

To be blunt, I think that's sentiment speaking. Past performance is not necessarily and indication of future success. Carruth this season has shown that an active goalie can't be a useful offensive weapon. We should always her looking to improve.

In the same way that people were sad to see Myers go (it was IMO right decision given the options), things move on. I'd love to see fournier or Martin back, but goalie is a different kettle of fish compared to other positions.
Difference between Myers and Bowns though is obviously age. Bowns will be 32 next season which is prime age for goalie.

If I was him I'd be looking at opportunities in Europe, certainly not Nottingham. A hockey career is a short one. I don't think be will be back. But I'm pretty confident Joey Martin will.

august04 2.0

Difference between Myers and Bowns though is obviously age. Bowns will be 32 next season which is prime age for goalie.

If I was him I'd be looking at opportunities in Europe, certainly not Nottingham. A hockey career is a short one. I don't think be will be back. But I'm pretty confident Joey Martin will.
Trouble is Bowns has gone down the Euro route this past few years and not performed particularly well (had injuries I know which didn’t help). He’s competing for spots against goalies of the calibre of Carruth and I’m not sure that I’d give him a starter role in a half decent league in Europe on that basis. He is only 32, but he’s iced a hell of a lot of minutes for a goalie of that age, which I’m sure doesn’t help either. Why not Nottingham or any other EIHL team? I think that is his level. Agree with you on Joey Martin, I think he’ll be announced as soon as we’re done this season and I’ve a sneaky suspicion about Fournier too.

moggy#9

Trouble is Bowns has gone down the Euro route this past few years and not performed particularly well (had injuries I know which didn’t help). He’s competing for spots against goalies of the calibre of Carruth and I’m not sure that I’d give him a starter role in a half decent league in Europe on that basis. He is only 32, but he’s iced a hell of a lot of minutes for a goalie of that age, which I’m sure doesn’t help either. Why not Nottingham or any other EIHL team? I think that is his level. Agree with you on Joey Martin, I think he’ll be announced as soon as we’re done this season and I’ve a sneaky suspicion about Fournier too.
I'd love those two and Benny blood back too.

kingmo19.1

To balance the thread somewhat with Carruth going, I can confirm that both Martin & Fournier are already signed for next season! Hope that softens the blow!

Devil94

Yeah, won't go down well. Maybe it was leaked or something and they were forced to announce it early, it happens...
It's quite common in Europe to announce players half way through the season, so they probably didn't think anything of it. Not the done thing here or NA though of course.

ASHIPP

All the best of luck to Mac. Best import goalie this club has had since Herlofsky. Hope he and his family enjoy the hockey journey across Europe.

Whatever happens in the off season, got no doubt the Club will recruit a solid netminding duo. They will have learned from this season what works well.

OJLloyd

I have absolutely no idea if this is true, but I do understand that Blood is not staying in Graz.

Might be time for him to come back to complete his MBA.

In reply to August - Carruth can’t control what his new team do, so there’s not a lot we can do about that.

Hockeymad

Well since lord left this club has gone to the dogs. Players and coaches leaving at will.

We were once an attractive club that apparently everyone wanted to play for.

Not no more.

I mean we couldn’t even sign Myers mosey or half the players from last season back.

jenks33

If we go back to 4 line hockey can we realistically stick with two import goalies? What do we think? If we do we’ll have to look at recruiting another proven Brit. Unless one of the import goalies sits out every game and Murdy is back up goalie.