Cardiff Devils v Sheffield Steelers - 04/04 - 1pm - S/F

We completely agree. Do you know what, we are gutted as anyone but you have to hand it to Sheffield. They are good good good on the powerplay and they have been superb this season. We didnt lose by one goal we lost by three. Anyone who knows me knows my feelings on Finnerty, Dager -twat, Sharp and Simms etc but credit where credit is due. The majority of the ref's could do with a GOOD kick up the ass.

Next season is ours. It really is. We will come out fighting and its ours for the taking!! Think of all the trouble we have had and think about how good it can be!!!

Bring on anyone North of the border next season!! We will have them!!

TheStub

We played better than the score line shows. Steelers were as consistant as they have been all season, we just seemed to let our heads drop.

Steelers deserve a win, but it wasn't easy for them.

Darnell was a joke - I've been chatting to steelers fans, and they agree. Next season someone neefs to look at the reffing, they are having too much influence on the game.

ASHIPP

I'm utterly gutted for the Guys :cry: but the Stub is right, the score line in no way suggests it was a walkover. Congratulations to the Steelers - in the end they were stronger on the powerplay and are a consistent team...but, for a long while, it was close. Tomorrow's final would have been exciting whoever was in it - I favour the Panthers but that's MHO!
I am really proud of the Devils - and of the fact that in the first year of the New Generation, they reached two semi-finals and secured 5th place in the League. To have achieved those things when the organisation is undergoing development is amazing.
I do feel good about the future security and development of the Club and we are gonna be dangerous next season! :cool:
Let's give the Guys a great send-off and thankyou on Monday night - they certainly deserve it. :D

TheStub said:
Brooke said:
Any one know how the newspapers/Mystery Alaska thing went?? :p
Seemed to go well, but it is hard to tell sat in the middle of it.

I'd love to see a photo.
it was hard to tell from where i was too. It didnt help too much that we had quite a few steelers fans in our block who were obviously stood up cheering while the rest of us were trying to read our papers in the darkness :lol:

I personally didnt think that the reffing was THAT bad... Bonnifarce was much worse last weekend imo. He did make a few dodgy calls and miss things but ive gotten used to that over recent years :D

congrats to Sheffield and Nottingham on making it through. Good luck to Panthers tomorrow. Should be a good game.

Was it just me who thought that a few of our players just didnt seem with it and Mike Prpich in particular just didnt seem bothered in the slightest. I personally thought he was more use off the ice than on as he just seemed to watch the puck and not get involved when he was on it?!

Ahh well, roll on next year.

TheStub

To me, Hanson's reffing of the second match showed Darnell's up. Hason managed to keep the play flowing, Darnel didn't.

He was not consistant, and then making strange calls at key phases. That went for both teams.

In the end Steelers were the better team. Glad their fans thought Darnel was useless too.

Wannabe2

The refereeing was not good, but he did not lose us the match, sheffield were in fairness very good and the better team on the day. We had 3 poweplay goals scored against us which tells us something, and 2 of there goals were scored by Brits, which also says something. Steelers are a very good team thats why they won the league, but in the 2nd semi final Panthers were lethal, so there we are another season over with, lets hope we all get some sun.
HAPPY HOCKEY DAYS

Koop11

A disappointing performance in the end which is a shame considering we were in good form going into the playoffs and we gave ourselves a chance to win by pulling the game back to 2-2.

Darnell wasn’t great and certainly took any fluidity out of our game but discipline hurt us. 3 PP goals from the Steelers says it all. However, if hypothetically the game was played even handed throughout we still would have lost IMO.

Our PP was shocking and the 5 on 3 we had at the end summed up the game for us. Sheffield will always force the puck on a 4 v 5 SH but 5 on 3 we should not be under pressure and some how we were.

Bottom line is, the Steelers are stronger in almost every aspect of the game. They have a better defence than us, a wealth of scoring options on all 3 lines, are more organised and have better Brits. The best team won. The best team have however spent a lot more on their squad than we have and whilst we play with a lot of heart and passion, money ultimately will bring much success.

We were there though which is a massive achievement in itself considering the circumstances. A had a great weekend regardless.

Make Phil Hill captain next season.
The last 5 playoff trophys, have been won with a Brit Captain:
04-05- Coventry - Tait
05-06- Newcastle- Longstaff
06-07- Nottingham- Meyers
07-08- Shuff- Phillips
08-09- Shuff- Phillips
09-10- Cardiff- Hill ???

nmase20 said:
any photos going of the newspaper thing? Haven't heard much about it.
Not photo's but it did get noticed - some nice comments from the Panthers fans about it. Taken from the Cage forum:

"Personally I think at the beginning of the Devils/Steelers match when the Devils players were on the ice and the Steelers players were beginning to be introduced and the vast majority of the Devils fans held papers/programmes up and pretended to read them to block their view and to show their disinterest was very funny...."

"I liked what the Devils fans did with the programmes being held up looked very effective from where I was sat!"

"and the organised paper read by Cardiff of course gets top prize."

"Cardiffs newspapers were class!"

"Yeah my fave moment was also the Cardiff newspaper gag - brilliant!!"

"The Cardiff newspaper was brilliant"

rolf

I believe that continuity has been Sheffield's key this season. I think they only added about 3 players this year. One of them was that beast Sharp who collected splinters all year and then mid - season swiped Bison's franchise guy Cruikshank to replace Gillies. It's no wonder,then, that they play really well as a team and they really did (spit, spit, clean me teeth in a minute) this weekend as well as most of the year. We made about 9 or 10 personnel changes for this year and it showed all season, however when we got it right and all turned up on the same page boy we could play some good hockey too.

We gave a good go on Saturday and had them well-rattled, more than the Panthers for sure. Sure they seemed to get most of the refereeing good fortune but they used it well, better than we did. Looking at the final, our performance stands up very well and if Panthers had scored as many as us who knows what may have happened. I also believe that the "league" got the final it wanted and sadly it was a bit of a let-down to me as a neutral.

Don't get me wrong here, I dislike the steelers intensely, not only the team, their maggot-like supporters, the smugness of that imbecile simms and their constant moaning and whingeing to the ref over even the most trivial decision against them. It almost seems like they believe the ref has had the brown envelope and how very dare he call against us but of course that would never happen in a robust "league" like ours...............