Cardiff Devils v MK Lightning - Sat 30 Dec 2017 - League - FO 7pm - Chat/Updates

august04

Murrayfield Racers had no problem knocking the hell out of everyone at one time, and their ice is Olympic size, Steelers /Devils games used to have big hits at their gaff regularly, and as has already been mentioned Belfast has never been short of big hits. Myself I think it’s the team make up, more so over the size of the ice.
Absolutely spot on. Other teams have had Olympic/large sized pads for years and the likes of Sheffield and Belfast have had some very physically intimidating teams. It’s all down to the type of player/recruitment, rather than pad size. I’ve seen plenty of fast, very physical hockey played on big pads in Sweden too, doesn’t seem to effect them either. And so what if Bordy had shorter shifts after throwing a big hit, that’s perfectly understandable. I can recall several occasions when such hits lifted the crowd, energised the team (rather than frustrating them!), and put the fear of God into the opposition. When we're looking back, let’s at least give a little credit where it’s due.

Last edited:

E.D.S.

Absolutely spot on. Other teams have had Olympic/large sized pads for years and the likes of Sheffield and Belfast have had some very physically intimidating teams. It’s all down to the type of player/recruitment, rather than pad size. I’ve seen plenty of fast, very physical hockey played on big pads in Sweden too, doesn’t seem to effect them either. And so what if Bordy had shorter shifts after throwing a big hit, that’s perfectly understandable. I can recall several occasions when such hits lifted the crowd, energised the team (rather than frustrating them!), and put the fear of God into the opposition. When we're looking back, let’s at least give a little credit where it’s due.
I was a big fan of Bordy and what he brought. It was just interesting to hear a different view from Finny

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So are we saying the ice pad is too big for ice hockey players ?

We have a weird bench set up and now a pad too big. Planning did a great job....... [emoji106]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Finny

We are signing professional athletes, the size of the pad is inconsequential .

Of course the size of the pad is important. I can’t believe you are suggesting it isn’t.

Look back to our first season under Lord. We were almost unbeatable on the smaller ice of the BBT. Yet put that same team on the bigger ice pads and we struggled. In fact we were embarrassed at times. Players that were so impressive at home couldn’t cope on these ice pads.

And yes the Swedish teams are able to play a physical game on Olympic ice pads. But these are some of the best teams in the world with some of the best players in the world.

Wannabe2

Anyway I thought we played really well against Milton Keynes, dominated the play and still think we had another gear if it was needed.

august04

I think this thread has taken a bizarre twist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Of course it’s taken a bizarre twist. Lack of physicality was barely mentioned in this thread until Mooney brought it up on page 4, as the main criticism was the ability and play of Drew Paris. With his statistician links to the team and rejection of all criticism, Finny then turned this thread into an attack on Bordy's play/lack of physicality on big ice discussion, and has deflected the argument away from Paris totally. Classic stuff.
Anyway, as Wannabe says, we played well against a very limited MK team, with perhaps one exception as many have observed in this thread. I also think Pete Russell is likely to come under a lot of pressure if results continue to slide the way they have of late.

Last edited:

solelace84

My point is that ice pad size has no impact on players ability to hit others, in fact it has no impact on anything.

What a ridiculous thing to say. How much has our game changed since moving from the BBT ? How different is the game in Manchester compared to at the IAW? The game is obviously a lot more physical on a smaller pad because it's harder to avoid looming players, and it's easier to reach guys at the boards... Also, speed is limited on smaller ice which means you need to play a different style... More physical

Sent from my G3221 using Tapatalk