Cardiff Devils v Fife Flyers - Sun 21 Jan 2018 - League - FO 6pm - Chat/Updates

Thread starter #1

We welcome the Fife Flyers to the IAW as the DEVILS maintain their challenge to retain the EIHL League Title

With the game the customary another SELL OUT Russky will be hosting another edition of our 'ridiculously childish and disgustingly biased' Match Night Live service for this game all at the usual location of http://www.the-inferno.co.uk/mnl

If you'd like to chip in with a comment or make a score prediction on the night you can contact us at matchnightlive@gmail.com

IceTime will be running a webcast for this game with all the details to be found @ http://www.icetime.tv

Foxy

I think this game shows how much the conference system is helping some teams. How Fife are so high up in the league standings i dont know. They must have the worst powerplay in the league.

Devils completely dominated them all 3 periods and would have buried them had it not been for their goalie.

Refs called some weird penalties. Not disputing that a penalty should have been called just what they called it for seemed totally wrong. Why they took so long watching video of their second goal i dont know. Said at the time it was no goal.

matbur

Decent game I thought. Flyers tried to make it interesting by pulling a goal back in the second but we were just two strong. Didn't see last night's game but there were some good performances out there tonight. Well done boys

august04

I thought it was a decent first period. After that, very dull.
I really hope the current conference format is ditched this off season. That Scottish conference is farcical and skews the league too much.

Wannabe2

Well played lads, we needed two points and we got just that, the game against Fife was never going to be barnstormer, they ain’t the most entertaining team in the league, but they can be seriously dangerous. With the results tonight’s going the way they did, we could not afford any slip ups, fortunately that didn’t happen. We need to keep our destiny in our hands, if then we don’t win this thing then that’s one thing, but we need to be in control of it. It’s one tough league this year, and that’s a good thing, we just now need to show the other lot, that we are the toughest there is.

E.D.S.

Interesting to see that they didn’t pull the goalie towards the end. He had a great game by the way. Fluffed it for one of the goals but some of his saves were superb.
Hats off to Fournier for another terrific strike. He needed that after last nights performance.
Good to see Josh back too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

voth26

Quite enjoyed the game tonight, could have scored a few more goals if the puck had as bounced differently a few times, well what can we say about the officials from tonight's game!! Sorry but number 11 you have a hell of a way to go yet, i know your new and I really appreciate your efforts but not calling blatent elbows, blatent holding/slashing calls right in front of you is pretty basic stuff and if you can't or won't call them, then what's the point of you being a ref. I know refs can't get every call right but tonight neither ref got any calls right!! Now to Mr Hicks tonight the video reply of the Flyers supposed goal shown to the fans confirmed what everyone knows that you are 100% incompetent, how the hell it took you approximately 6/7 minutes for you to decide the Flyers 2nd goal wasn't a goal, when it was plainly obvious to everyone in the building it wasn't a goal as the Flyers player was standing in the crease BEHIND Bowns and pushing the net off!! You can not call an infringement 6 feet in front of you consistently I would really like to know why?. You gave Faryna 2 mins for roughing but nothing for a Flyers player throwing a blatent elbow and a blatent punch to the back of the head of a Devils player to which Faryna reacted and as I said you were approximately 6 feet away. And you are considered one of the top officials in the EIHL, if that's true then the new refs doesnt stand a chance in hell of learning how to call a game fairly or consistently

An unspectacular game although for 2 periods we did most things well and it was enough 2nd period.. ..lets just move on.
Nice having batchy back a big body to cause disruptions and when him and Faryna on the ice I do place small bets which opp will be hit and by who.
Boys did enough tonight to get all important 2 pts especially with Belfast breathing down our neck.

Now the grumble.....but only at the refs. Tonight was a joke on both teams. Either call everything or let the game flow. Since when is roughing skaking up and nudging a player just to say watch it.....never ....call USC and I'd agree more Fayrna and Louis both had roughing, if you want to call it do it to everyone.
Slashing on the flyers player personally appearing to be a spear with the end if the stick jammed into his leg but Hotham had just given him a small xcheck
How many times were players tripped or interfered with in one way or another but not called. But some miraculously were and those called tonight by the rule book probably werent wrong (under different penalty names...case in point Reddick thought inference....not slashing) we are going to see penalties but I like most would like consistency and not just calling them when it looks like your just board.

Slartibartfast

An unspectacular game although for 2 periods we did most things well and it was enough 2nd period.. ..lets just move on.
Nice having batchy back a big body to cause disruptions and when him and Faryna on the ice I do place small bets which opp will be hit and by who.
Boys did enough tonight to get all important 2 pts especially with Belfast breathing down our neck.

Now the grumble.....but only at the refs. Tonight was a joke on both teams. Either call everything or let the game flow. Since when is roughing skaking up and nudging a player just to say watch it.....never ....call USC and I'd agree more Fayrna and Louis both had roughing, if you want to call it do it to everyone.
Slashing on the flyers player personally appearing to be a spear with the end if the stick jammed into his leg but Hotham had just given him a small xcheck
How many times were players tripped or interfered with in one way or another but not called. But some miraculously were and those called tonight by the rule book probably werent wrong (under different penalty names...case in point Reddick thought inference....not slashing) we are going to see penalties but I like most would like consistency and not just calling them when it looks like your just board.
Totally agree on the Reddick call. On the Fife breakaway Reddick clearly had his arm across his chest impeding him so an interference call or holding call would have been fair enough but where the hell did slashing come from. I also thought one or two of the calls against Fife were harsh.

If you look at the win percentage each team has against each other team in the league, you can form an idea of how they've played out of conference. If each team played against each other team five times over the course of the season, it would look like THIS.

It's not a perfect metric, but it does give an idea of how teams are shaping up against each other. By-and-large, that imaginary league looks much the same as the actual league table. The big exception is Fife, with what I believe is a 100% win record against two of the teams in their conference. However, their standing in the non-conferenced league is still very good.

While they may not be able to beat the best of teams on their best days, they've picked up important wins against lots of teams this season; ourselves included. They've been very good at picking out weakness and sniping wins when their opponents may be having off-days. I can't really knock them for it, and to write them off as coasting on free points does them a disservice.

Temme

Now to Mr Hicks tonight the video reply of the Flyers supposed goal shown to the fans confirmed what everyone knows that you are 100% incompetent, how the hell it took you approximately 6/7 minutes for you to decide the Flyers 2nd goal wasn't a goal, when it was plainly obvious to everyone in the building it wasn't a goal as the Flyers player was standing in the crease BEHIND Bowns and pushing the net off!! You can not call an infringement 6 feet in front of you consistently I would really like to know why?.
The Fife player was checked by a Devil into the crease. Therefore they need to take time to ascertain whether or not:
A) he could have prevented entering the crease,
B) If he interfered with the goalie whilst in the crease,
C) If he didn't interfere with goalie & couldn't stop himself (which he couldn't...), did he do everything in his power to exit the crease,
D) Was the net off it's moorings as the goal was scored. (Sadly we didn't get a reason given for the goal being disallowed).

It was not the Fife players fault he ended up in the crease, under these circumstances it needs reviewing.

I'm not sure why it took them so long-certainly, but without sitting directly behind the box and seeing what they see we'll never know, i can only imagine they'd have reviewed the footage 2-3 times before making the call.

Unless the net was off it's moorings - which i didn't notice - for me that could have easily been given a good goal.

Overall though voth26, i agree the referee's were a sorry state last night, again :(

Jones72

Unless the net was off it's moorings - which i didn't notice - for me that could have easily been given a good goal.
That’s the thing, though...from the same footage shown on the big screen once the decision had been made, it was clear that the net was well off its moorings. So unless they were trying to determine *how far* off its moorings, I don’t really see why it needed to take so long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

voth26

The Fife player was checked by a Devil into the crease. Therefore they need to take time to ascertain whether or not:
C) If he didn't interfere with goalie & couldn't stop himself (which he couldn't...), did he do everything in his power to exit the crease,
D) Was the net off it's moorings as the goal was scored. (Sadly we didn't get a reason given for the goal being disallowed).

It was not the Fife players fault he ended up in the crease, under these circumstances it needs reviewing.

I'm not sure why it took them so long-certainly, but without sitting directly behind the box and seeing what they see we'll never know, i can only imagine they'd have reviewed the footage 2-3 times before making the call.

Overall though voth26, i agree the referee's were a sorry state last night, again :(
Cheers for the possible reasons , the net was off when the Fife player skated into it, I sit in block 5 so couldn't see if he was nudged into the crease but it didn't look as if he made any attempt to get out of the way either. I always get the feeling when hicks refs us he is trying to shaft us!!

pjj365

I am sure (I hope) someone can enlighten us but I seem to recall there are circumstances when a goal can be given even if the net is off - decision 1
Then was there goalie interference - decision 2
Then a simple msn in the crease - decision 3

So not that straight forward - until you see the video then you wonder why it took so long. But then it is Hicks!

Just one question though did the refs have the same clear video footage as was shown?

Devil_Abroad

Not being there and waiting for the full game upload from Icetime.tv before being able to see it and comment - just one thing in the above to clarify - the net can be off it’s mooring as the puck crosses the goal line as long as it happens after the shot and the net was displaced by a defenceman - otherwise no goal. So if the net was displaced by Fife player before puck completely crosses the goal line then no goal - so maybe the net was not displaced which is why it was taking them so long to decide with man in the crease? Will be interesting to watch the full game.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

pjj365

Not being there and waiting for the full game upload from Icetime.tv before being able to see it and comment - just one thing in the above to clarify - the net can be off it’s mooring as the puck crosses the goal line as long as it happens after the shot and the net was displaced by a defenceman - otherwise no goal. So if the net was displaced by Fife player before puck completely crosses the goal line then no goal - so maybe the net was not displaced which is why it was taking them so long to decide with man in the crease? Will be interesting to watch the full game.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thanks for the explanation