Cardiff Devils v Fife Flyers - Sat 18 Nov 2017 - FO 7pm - Chat/Updates

Thread starter #1

We welcome the Fife Flyers to the IAW as the DEVILS seek to register a second win after our victory in Kirkcady last month

With another bumper crowd at the IAW, Russky will be eagerly hosting another edition of our 'ridiculously childish and disgustingly biased' play by play Match Night Live service for this game, all at the usual location of http://www.the-inferno.co.uk/mnl

If you'd like to chip in with a comment or make a score prediction on the night you can contact us at matchnightlive@gmail.com

IceTime will be running a webcast for this game with all the details to be found @ http://www.icetime.tv

Self imploded.
Fife stuck in and worked their socks off and took their opportunities.
Devils :- Lack of discipline, lack of line chemistry,
A good run has perhaps papered over the cracks but this team after the flyers 5th goal looked lost confounded by major mistakes by players.
5-1 up needed simply low risk hockey....disnt happy
Some players not where they were last year, and some players definitely not an upgrade on players who have left.

jenks33

The call on Paris when the score was 5-1 was a massive game changer. In my opinion it was the wrong call. What happened after that though was unacceptable. We showed zero guts or fight on the penalty kill and basically bent over everytime we were shorthanded.
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, our new players just haven’t improved this team enough. In my opinion only Strachan and Moore have shown any consistency. I think pope and Faryna will come good but I’m still worried about the others. Crowder has improved but he had a night to forget tonight

Oh well, another mare. I hope the fits of laughter have affected Nottingham’s coaching staff enough to effect their game plan.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

august04

6 powerplay goals conceded and we looked clueless on the penalty kill. Hogarth is an appalling referee but no excuses, that was the most inept, gutless 40 minutes I’ve seen from a Devils team for a long time. Despite going 5-1 down, Fife never gave up, constantly outhit us and seemed to want it more than us, which is shameful on our part. Even the happy clappers are going to struggle to defend that performance. Totally unacceptable.

Slartibartfast

That was like watching a soccer match. Fife were very good at falling over and dropping sticks every time the Devils went near them and Hogarth fell for it all. Although you could question why our PK was so bad the ref played a major part in that loss. In my opinion the best team loss. We had most of the possession for a large part of the game but a 5 minute penalty and a number of 5 on 3s and short succession penalties killed it. Even on the last attack Hogarth blew the whistle and brought it back to the middle. I have no idea why.
Very frustrating to watch and must be even more frustrating for the players. Hats off to them for not getting any misconduct calls because it must have been really tempting to tell Hogarth how shite he was.

RedDevil17

What the hell was that?! First of all, we should not be blowing a 5-1 lead. Lots of things cost us that game such as Paris’ penalty, lack of physicality (which is an absolute shambles), lack of desire and lack of effort. Awesome first period but just downhill from there. Also, Hogarth was awful as per usual. Lack of discipline also. Didn’t stay at the end but apparently we were booed? Correct me on that but I’m neutral on that. Don’t boo the team but with performances like that you have to ask questions. We shouldn’t be losing to a decent flyers team, especially at home. Hopefully we win tomorrow but I can’t see it happening honestly. Also, might I ask why Reddick was on when we had the extra attacker??? Lack of spark also. 6-7 on the PP for fife...

Johnnybravo1927

Lots of penalties for what wasnt a dirty game. Lot of players just didnt turn up today, strachan looked very assured at the back but he cant do it all. Faryna worked hard and tried to get the game going. Nobody else really added much. Paris fully deserved his 5+game for a very poor hit. Paris has failed to impress me at all this season, big lad who doesnt play at all a physical game. Reddick got all the grief early on this season but I would choose him over Paris based on effort alone

ASHIPP

I'm afraid any booing heard in the final minutes of the game perhaps reflects the sort of game it was.

Completely baffling how a team cruising at 5-1 in p1 and completely in control can concede so many goals and end up losing. Last season's Devils would simply have shut up shop, tightened defence and seen out the rest of the game with a fine display of puck recycling and grinding down the opposition.

And therein lies the difference. Last year's team had the ability to win in any situation, the quick thinking to change up the plan, the mental strength to hang in there in adversity, the experience and skill to execute their preparation and training.

After Paris's exit from the game, the Devils just imploded. Rather than keep it defensively tight and simple, they let things get in their heads. The woeful pk and Flyers' awesome pp just destroyed Devils' confidence. That final 10 minutes was painful, abject desperation play trying to get the game tying goal.

A team challenging for the top should be at least be strong at home and aim to pick up as many points on the road as they can. That is not even happening at the moment.
This year's team are heading towards a very average season if they continue like this. Another four league points down the drain already this week. A mid-table position is just about where they deserve to be right now. They are not playing well enough to be in the top 4.

We can blame Hogarth all we want - Flyers had calls against them too and dealt with them well. And if Devils had won the game, we wouldn't even be mentioning Hogarth as a factor ......Devils only have themselves to blame for losing that commanding lead. No-one else.

They face Panthers tomorrow - it feels like they won't have chance in hell. It's about time we accepted that our team are nowhere near as good as we think they are (very sad considering all the skill and depth, investment in extra players etc). Expectations certainly need to be lowered to avoid more disappointment.

Last edited:

jenks33

6 powerplay goals conceded and we looked clueless on the penalty kill. Hogarth is an appalling referee but no excuses, that was the most inept, gutless 40 minutes I’ve seen from a Devils team for a long time. Despite going 5-1 down, Fife never gave up, constantly outhit us and seemed to want it more than us, which is shameful on our part. Even the happy clappers are going to struggle to defend that performance. Totally unacceptable.
No I’m sure they’ll be on here in a bit mate. Most of us spend hundreds to watch the devils every season but we’re told off for coming on a forum to express negative opinions after a 8-6 defeat to Fife/6-1 defeat to Manchester/8-4 defeat to Guildford

kingmo19.1

What an embarrassment that was! 5-1 up, at home and coasting!

Should have pulled Bownsy after conceding 3 in short succession. Where was the on-Ice leadership? We looked clueless and Fife well deserved the win.

Without Hotham & Martin this team is mid/lower table at best.

New depths were plumbed tonight. That was appalling!
The amount of cheap unnecessary penalties we took tonight was nothing short of criminal.
Hooking, holding, slashing and all whilst on the pk. Lazy penalties behind the play because we were chasing pucks when we should have been closing down space. Too many players not turning up again and not just the usual suspects!
Problem is that after an abject defeat like tonight there will be no consequences just the usual platitudes about hoping for a reaction in the next game. Clearly this team is not as good as the management think it is.
Not gonna bother saying that it’s totally unacceptable again because I’m starting not to care!!

Wannabe2

How weird a game was that, one of the strangest ever. First 10-12 mins we were so unbelievably good it was untrue, to then concede 8 goals was unbelievable. 5-1 up and in total control, we lose Paris and we then implode. We then go on to score one goal, and concede 7 what in heavens happened there. Our physicality is nye on zilch, fife are a good team, but 5-1 up at home, come on it should be game over, and it was for us. That's really was,nt good enough guys, I really don't want to be too negative, but that was so unacceptable it ain't true. Panthers tomorrow wonder how that one will pan out.

backrow

It is hard to believe that the Devils gave up 6 power play goals in 7 chances. The penalty kill played a huge role in the Devils success last season.
Whether the penalties were deserved or not they've hurt the team late last game and in the game tonight!

It is hard to believe that the Devils gave up 6 power play goals in 7 chances. The penalty kill played a huge role in the Devils success last season.
Whether the penalties were deserved or not they've hurt the team late last game and in the game tonight!

Pp and pk were shambolic tonight but not as telling as the lack of character shown!!