Cardiff Devils v Belfast Giants - Sun 6pm - Chat/Updates

Here's my 3 things that I would do.

1. Get a big D man. One that doesn't have to give away penalties because he can ferry away legitimately. Also they would be defensive minded. This means if there are 2 offence through at least one of them is going no where which will leave the netminder more of a chance with 1 on 1.
2. Sort out the penalties. A lot of penalties are meaningless and are taking plave in the opostions third or neutral areas.
3. Sort out the M Line. It's not working. Our leading goal scorers are Jarvis, Hill and Michel.

3. Sort out the M Line. It's not working. Our leading goal scorers are Jarvis, Hill and Michel.[/quote]

For me personally, I think that a juggling of the lines would be an absolute must. For a couple of weeks now I have been boring my mates at the back of block 14 with my insistence that Michel should replace Millar on the first line.

I say this because I think he is a better defensive forward that any of Smith, Birbraer and Millar and as such he would give that line extra protection (if you notice most odd man rushes come against our first line because none of them are looking to back check when one of our defensemen 'pinches in').

I also think moving Michel to the first line would 'up the anti' a little in terms of work rate. Too often Max (probably the most skilled player at the club) goes missing and skates around in circles throwing half-hearted body checks.

On Sunday (before G himself left the line up) the lines had been juggled and Michel was playing as a centre on the Birbraer line. I don't think it's a coincidence that Max had his most effective 40 minutes of the season (he still needs to put sixty minutes together). Michel's work rate challenged Max to work harder and I finally saw somthing that looked like the Birbraer of 3 seasons ago - a powerful forechecker who wanted to carry the puck at pace and gain the zone.

So I would certainly go with a first line of; Birbraer - Smith - Michel

My other line-up change would be for G to tell Ben Davies than he has earned his starting spot on the 3rd line, allowing Adams to drop back on to the D. Here, I would pair him with Romfo. I'm still convinced that Romfo has the potential to be one of the most effective offensive defensemen in the league - i've seen him find more passing lanes on our poxy little ice surface in a month than most players have in the 3 and a bit seasons we have been down in the Bay. Granted he is taking too many dumb penalties and coughing up the puck in dangerous situations - but hopefullly playing with the coach willl help focus his mind and Adams can take on the role of his 'stay at home' defensive partner.

Rotating 6 'd' men also allows chemistry to be built up as the players will have a regular partner - and a balance between the 2 players can be struck.

Personally, i'd go with;
Jarvis - Stone (In the Superleague days Jason Stone was a great foil for Kip Noble)
Hartwick - Richardson
Adams - Romfo

Cheers,

John

Some interesting points made.

I think whoever play's on Maxi and Smith's Line are going to struggle. I think their first and natural instinct is to always look for each other. But I like your ideas even if wouldn't agree totally.

Skippy

bubbles said:
I think whoever play's on Maxi and Smith's Line are going to struggle. I think their first and natural instinct is to always look for each other. But I like your ideas even if wouldn't agree totally.

Not sure I'd agree with you there.Look at how well Paul Sample did on that line. Im pretty sure he had his best season playing with Max and Smith?

Id like to see Michel given a shot on the first line as a few people above have mentioned his work rate is awesome.

skippy said:
bubbles said:

Not sure I'd agree with you there.Look at how well Paul Sample did on that line. Im pretty sure he had his best season playing with Max and Smith?

Id like to see Michel given a shot on the first line as a few people above have mentioned his work rate is awesome.

The wording was plays not played, unless we signed Sample within the last 10 mins.

ASHIPP

I am not sure the defence unit is the problem in our current squad. Agreed we are taking too many penalties - and if it's Romfo or Ritchie in the bin, our penalty kill capability is reduced greatly. I can probably site at least 4 times that pp goals have been scored by other teams against us when either of those guys have been binned.
IMHO, for what it's worth, I think that far too much store has been invested in the hope that players like Smith and Latullippe would hit the ice running this season and perform.It simply hasn't happened with those 2 guys.
Latullippe may have had a 'quiet' game against Belfast but his penalty shoot-out efforts were appauling. If some of the Devils matches are going to boil down to shoot-outs, they have to have players who can at least aim and shoot with some power!
For all we know, Smith could be carrying a niggling injury from before he joined us. He did admit he hadn't skated during the Summer - why?
G has had to mess about with 1st and 3rd line formations because of injury/bans - not good for consistency. Is it any wonder that the M line haven't fired properly yet with Smith injured. Matt and Max have had 3 different players on the 1st line in 3 weeks! Tylor would definitely be worth a permenant place on that line. Unfortunately, a deflated Devils squad allowed bad passing and 'dump and chase' back into the Belfast game as soon as the Giants took the lead at 3-2.
Interesting that many of the goals/assists are not coming from the 1st line at all.
I'm sure there will come a time shortly when G is going to have to make some tough decisions - the Devils have so much potential to score but it isn't working for some reason.