Cardiff Devils v Belfast Giants - 07/03 - Chat/Updates

Diafol

phil PLT said:
Blame the fans, blame the atmosphere, blame the ref, get real!!!!!! After the first 6 minutes we where never at the races. Once again far to many dumb penalties taken, but more importantly we were beaten by a far superior team on the night.
I've been saying that all season, ultimately, our indiscipline has cost us dear yet again.
How many goals have we given up this season because one of our players is getting splinters in the sin-bin ?

I know we're short-benched, and by this time next week the team will probably be absolutely cream-crackered, but taking stupid penalties won't help anyone.
And where has our ability to pass gone ?

Fubar

worst performance by far that i have had the misfortune to witness tonite :(

after 6 minutes like Phil said, we couldnt string 2 passes together, the fore checking was pants and the discipline was utter garbage...we couldnt control the neutral zone and clearing the blue line was unbelivable. every pass landed on a Giants stick, skate, glove and even Lyle's mush!!

better team won and i hope the giants go on and eventually win it! MOM for me was Hill or Voth...how Silver got it is beyond me but hey ho...what do i know!!

After tonights performance, sack the lot of them. They were appauling tonight, couldn't string 2 passes together. The D made a hell of a lot of mistakes tonight and that cost us the 3 goals, stoney, maciver and jarvis.

I can't describe in words, how annoyed i am that this is the first chance at some silverware this year and the team play as pathetic as that. I very much doubt that there will be many supporters going this week after tonights performance. I will be going tomorrow night, not for the hockey, but for the social side. And before anyone says yes i do support the devils, have done for 12 years and will continue to do so. Its just games like this that bloody annoy me and make me furious when the team don't play.

I thought that tonight was our only realistic opportunity of a trophy this season and looking at it now it probably was! we we're dire tonight and i have been saying it for a long time now that we have no idea up front and like someone else said how Silver got mom is beyond me, even before his injured thumb he did sod all (if that's G's so called go - to guy then i would love to see his not so go to guy as he ain't up to much) - there is no way we can match the so called big four on fire power as they can attract much better players, i don't see us even qualifing for the finals weekend unless we get lucky!!!

And by the way looking at the back of tonight's programme, this week of fixtures is an absolute joke 5 home games and a trip to Sheffield in 9 days? "COME ON" even NHL teams don't go through that amount of pain.... Geeezz.

I wasn't very impressed with the booing at the end but i can understand why fans were so p***ed off, the team were dire. The one chance we had at silverware and they completely blew it, i would have walked away happy if we put in a solid performance and lost... but we didn't.
The guys looked amateur out there tonight, passing was shocking, the whole team didnt have a clue what they were doing. Silver didn't deserve MoM and i've been very disappointed by him this season, IMO Aubs deserved MoM he pulled of some spectacular saves and kept the score line at what it was.
Im actually beginning to question Adams as a coach now, to be nearing the end of the season and putting in performances like that in a semi-final just isn't good enough, this is possibly the most disappointed i've been after a ice hockey match.

Kipper

Our D was a nightmare tonight. They have been pretty solid all season but it went to pieces tonight.Aubs ket the score from being embarrassing and I have no idea how Silver got MoM ahead of him.

I'm all for the club's attempts to be interactive with the spectators but some of the recent Man of the Match awards have been a joke. It's like someone has taught Stevie Wonder how to text.

Koop11

Fair to say that was a very bad day at the office. The performance was very disappointing tonight and I feel everyone’s frustration. If this was a league game if would be annoying but given we had given ourselves a really opportunity to get some silverware this season makes last night extremely disappointing for us all.

I actually thought the guys came out and played up to the atmosphere of the build up and the opening 5 mins. We came out banging and when we got that early goal I think we were all thinking here we go! We took some silly penalties which gave Belfast a little momentum boost and a team like that are always going to challenge you on a PP. Two of their goals were uncharacteristic defence errors. Not so much errors but comedy cock ups. Why we did not shoot the puck out of out end but instead tap it out in front of Aubs I do not know and what on earth we were doing knocking a puck in mid air back into the slot, let along the back of Aubry for it to go in.

When those goals went in to make it 3-1 the metal game was won. After our D crumbled, which has been our strength this season, our focus was lost. By contrast Belfast saw that and controlled the game there on. In spells we really pilled on some pressure in their end but in general we could not put two passes together to enter their zone.

Credit must go to Belfast. They have a full quota of players back and they looked very impressive indeed. We played bad and into their hands but they are an extremely good team and had they have stayed fit this year I think the league table would be a lot closer at the top than it is now. In all this disappointment we must sit back and welcome the brilliant hockey that Belfast played.

MoM for me was Tyson. With respect to Silver but what on earth did he do all game. He like most of the team in fairness was pretty obsolete.

I personally did not condone the booing and some of the comments made to our bench last night but I can understand why it happened.

Hey, its over, lets move on. The one plus to come out of this, albeit a very small plus, is two less games in our already ridiculous schedule. We need to be focusing on wining every single game now going into the playoffs. Not to get 5th place. Quite frankly I couldn’t give a rats @ss about that, but to get some momentum going in for what is now our only hope of some silverware. Right now I think it will be a miracle if we make the playoff finals but I thought that last season and look what happened.

mazza03

I chose not to go tonight for a couple of reasons.
a. Since Mark and my ex husband died I can't seem to get back into it.
b. I just couldn't justify spending the money that I haven't got I've already missed about 8 games out of my ST.
c. The inconsistancies of the team, one game they are fantastic the next they are rubbish, what's that all about? :?
I have been following the Devils since 1991 but I fear that this may be my last season, I need them to prove to me that it's worth the money lets face it pensioners don't get much do they? :eek:
Hopefully tonights game will restore my faith. :!:
As for the fans booing, shame on you whoever you are.

Finny

I don't remember the fans booing???

Then again, I don't seem to remember much of yesterday after Eddie Johnson scored?

Chris

Administrator
Thread starter #51
From where i'm sat, it didn't sound like a small minority, but it wasn't exactly really loud booing either. More a collective groan type boo as the buzzer went...

If we come out and play really well tonight, I don't know if i'll be more disappointed at the Giants game to know how we could have played...

And well done Mr. Finny for winning a 100% genuine, game worn *cough* #2 jersey. Do we even have a player registered for #2 or is it a blood jersey?

Chris.

phil PLT said:
Blame the fans, blame the atmosphere, blame the ref, get real!!!!!! After the first 6 minutes we where never at the races. Once again far to many dumb penalties taken, but more importantly we were beaten by a far superior team on the night.
I agree we were a joke an absolute disgrace

august04

This result and performance just confirms what an average side the Devils are this season. It came as no surprise to me at all. The way some posters wax lyrical about how good these players are flies in the face of what we're seeing week in, week out. By and large we've done well against teams below us in the table and struggled against better opposition, which is why we're 6th in the league and 30 points behind the Sheffield Steelers, a truly incredible margin. The league table doesn't lie. We've blamed injuries for our failings all year but other teams have struggled in that regard too. Well, we're back to 11 imports now and has it improved? Perhaps slightly but not by a huge amount, we still can't score enough goals to consistently beat the better teams in the league. It's time to face facts - this is a very average, poorly coached Devils team and has been all year. Roll on next season when I hope to see some major changes in personnel, both on the playing and coaching side.

I missed last nights game, quite happy I did aswell by the sound of things.
I agree with august04 comments. Personally I think the team have looked lost out there for the best part of this season, Wether thats down to the coaching or the players not grasping what systems have been put in to place I do not know. Dump and chase hockey just doesnt do it for me and that seems to be the only thing these guys know what to do which gets me thinking this must be drummed in to them in training!!!!! To many times this year we have technically been outsmarted by other teams.

Im sure Matt and Shannon wont be happy with this season regardless of what is said in the press etc. They have worked extremely hard to get the marketing, fans, sponsors etc etc on board to watch a very very average team!!! I think the team could do with a more creative coach and players. G has had every resource given to him this year and look where the team are, still in 6th!!! Injured players have been replaced, players that werent performing have been replaced. Excellent off ice team backing him up and still nothing. I personally think changes are needed for next season if the club want to start challenging for titles.

Before this season Id never miss home games, Ive missed atleast 7-8 this year. Everytime Ive come away from the rink this year Ive felt theres something lacking. My passion for the game is slowly creeping away and have to agree with mazzza on that one.

Firstly can i say how disappointed i am about the performance last night, no intensity, no fight, the passing was dire, there just seemed a complete and utter lack of commitment.
I like everyone else have read in recent programmes how the league was no longer the priority, the team would be focusing all there attentions on the knockout cup and the play offs, well sorry, there was no focus there last night.

Fair play to Belfast, thay completely outplayed us last night, and if it hadn't been for Aubry could have been six or seven, Lyle hardly did a thing in the second and third periods, and that simply isn't good enough.

Now a question for the Elite League Officials, semi final of a knockout cup, and you place a 'referee' (questionable) in charge with obvious links to Cardiff. Not that he is biased in any way to Cardiff, he seem scared to call decisions against the opposition in case he is classed as biased, well thats one thing he certainly isn't. How is it every time an opposition player gets called for something a Devils player also goes to the box, yet Robins for one jumped on Voth's back twice throwing punches and yet the only player in the box is ................. Yes you've all got it right, VOTH.

For example, coming up are the Heineken cup semi finals, where a welsh side could meet an irish side, does anyone think a welsh or irish official will be in charge, NO!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry folks, just to make things worse, i hear HICKS is also the referee for tonight and our two games against Manchester in the week, so be prepared for a lot more penalty killing from the Devils.

I heard the booing last night, and have to be honest it is unusual too hear such reactions, however i think everyone was completely gutted by the lack of effort from the players, again pretty much a full house, so well done everyone coming to support the team but the simple reality is they choked big time.

Well I resisted the temptation to post last night and have calmed down a bit now! I think we all know what we saw was poor last night so I'm not going to go into that too much.

I would say that while Belfast are a very good side I don't think it was their performance that made us look so poor, we were just terrible all on our own.

I also don't believe we have a terrible set of players, just a group that last night (and on other occassions this season) don't apear to know their roles and objectives as a team for whatever reason.

Elich and Teplitsky are two of our most talented players. These guys are very good players, but both looked lost for most of the game and their performances were affected as a result. (They weren't worse than the others, I'm just using these as an example as they are our most highly skilled players and even they couldn't get the passing game going)

I also don;t think we have bad shooters, just a lack of composure in front of goal. Most of our guys ruch shots in the slot, almost ike the eant to take the shot befoire taking a hit.

On that note, I was dissapointed we couldn't win the physical battle. Burgoyne got away with what he wanted and nobody even had a word until Prpich wanted to go in the last minute which was to late. Belfast were certainly not intimidated which they have been in the past in our rink.

I would like to give a special mention to Hartwick who was my MOM (closely followed by Aubs) in what was a poor defensive display overall. (the whole team not just the D men)

This guy never gets credit with the MOM because most people don't notice defensive D men, but he consistently leads us defensively IMO (particularly when things aren't going well for the team). He cleaned up a lot of mistakes last night and even tried to lift the team with some big hits at one point. When he's the only D man back, I always feel confident the opposition won't score and they don't. The guy is very rarely beaten and hugely underated IMO.

Wannabe2

Only caught the 3rd period last night, and never thought i would ever say i wished i had missed the lot. The thing that really guts me ,is that every time we have the oppurtunity to get some great PR we shoot ourself in the foot. Big crowd last night, Saturday is usually our weakest to Sunday, great chance to get big Media coverage and we blow it, so so frustrating. Left before the booing and glad i did, thats one road devils fans have never taken, and its not classy at all and certainly doesnt help. Very very bad day at the office, just hope the guys can turn it around, but it wont be easy. Anyway its gone now, and we move on.

august04 said:
This result and performance just confirms what an average side the Devils are this season. It came as no surprise to me at all. The way some posters wax lyrical about how good these players are flies in the face of what we're seeing week in, week out.

Where have you been all season. I've been amazed that hardly anyone else calling themselves
a Devils' supporter, apart from myself....has voiced this opinion before now! I totally agree with you.
Trouble is Devils' fans , in general, can see no further than the actual 'result'.

A win tonight against the Caps - and it will be "Bring on the play-offs...we'll take anybody!"

I've said it all through the season: There's no recognisable TEAMWORK. We have some very good individual players (X3 actually IMHO ....Teplitsky, Voth and Latulippe )but no teamplay.

Wannabe2 said:
Anyway its gone now, and we move on.
Not if we want to develop the Devils' fan base, we don't.
We've been moving on ....all season....stumbling from one disappointing game to another. So many newcomers have sampled ice hockey for the first time this season....and been so disappointed. A group of players who cannot pass the puck, cannot control the puck and don't know what each should be doing.......will not maintain sports spectators.
Excitement comes from skilled passing...leading hopefully to goals. We have failed this season.
I disagree Wanabee.....we don't need to move ON...... we need to move FORWARD.
We need a well drilled TEAM.......and to me it's been obvious that this was not being developed.

Left before the booing and glad i did, thats one road devils fans have never taken, and its not classy at all and certainly doesnt help.
I disagree. These guys are tough - they can take it. If I have a bad day at the office, it's not just my boss that has a go at me but those relying on me too. Let them know if their performance was not good enough. It wasn't. The alternative is to let people vent their frustrations through not opening their wallets - that'll get us nowhere - fast.

At the end of the day, people turn up to watch good hockey. They didn't get that last night. What's the incentive to come back? Fans booing such a performance at least lets newbies know it's not what can usually be expected.

I do agree, that booing should be used carefully otherwise, as you correctly point out - it becomes classless. Last night's reaction was justified though...in my opinion, of course.

Having said that - I think the Devils' fan base needs to check itself too. I went to the Welsh Amateur Boxing finals on Friday and the difference in atmosphere was unbelievable. I wonder if our fan base is getting too old to join in or something? Last night was practically a return to the game for me (haven't been since October but used to see every game...for 20-odd years) so I got to view it from a newbies perspective...kind of. It wasn't good folks. Maybe the Devils' fans had a bad day at the office too? What about some sort of competition between blocks for the best participation...away block included? Just a thought.

Aren't I full of the joys of Spring? Don't mean to whinge and moan but last night just had that effect on me.