Cardiff Devils ENL division 2 Trials

Cudd

Thread starter #1
Cardiff Devils ENL team (the Cardiff Satans) will be holding trials on the following dates
• Tuesday 25th May 21:45 – 22:45 1st trial
• Tuesday 29th June 21:45 -22:45 2nd trial
• Tuesday 27th July 21:45 – 22:45 Final trial with current ENL Division 2 players taking part

The cost for this trial is £10 per player per date. Check in for the trial will start at 19:45 in the bar area of the rink. It is recommended that any players interested make all the trial dates available. Successful players will be invited to train with the team for the month of August where the ENL Division 2 squad will be selected.

The Cardiff Devils ENL Division one team are also recruiting players for the 2010-2011 season. Any interested players please send your hockey CV for the attention of Mark Cuddihy at ENLDevils@cardiffdevils.com

So it is true there is no under 18's team again this year then.
If you played in the under 16's last year even though you may still only be 15 until end of 2010 , your only option if you want to play ice hockey is to try out on a team with full grown men who could end your playing days completely with one body check.
Where is the junior developement?
Where will the next Ben Davies come from?
Am I the only one who thinks this is a problem for our juniors?
No offence have 2 ENL teams we have enough adults playing in Cardiff, but please not at the expense of our kids - there should be an under 18's team if there are sufficient numbers and I was under the impression that last season was an exeption.
Please correct me if I am wrong.

to be eligible to play under 18's you need to be 15 or older.
to be eligible to play senior hockey you need to be 16 or older.
to practice in a non scrimmage situation there aren't age restrictions, to scrimmage or play there are.
'the next ben davies' will be able to hold his own with ENL even at 14, let alone 15 or older.

It will be a huge shame if there is no under 18 team this year. This is the pinnacle of British Junior hockey and where the stars of the future ply their trade. The very best of British youngsters competing against each other, week-in week-out. ENL2 has become a joke amongst UK hockey, with it basically being called "Glorified Rec" and sadly, our ENL2 team is exactly that. It is full of average ex-rec players, and players from days gone by and no way helps develop our youngsters.

Ideally, ENL2 should be scrapped, the under 18s set up, and any promising players thrown into ENL1. Sadly this won't be the case as ENL1 will again be looking to sign experienced players from various clubs to enhance their own chances of winning the league. Surely ENL1 team should be looking at nurturing the Devils of the future, not looking at winning championships with players from other teams junior development programmes?

With no disrespect to Arms, Manse, Cowie etc, these guys have had their chance and played at high levels of hockey. Surely their spots on the roster should go to an up and coming local boy, throw them in at the deep end and do everything possible to develop him? It should be ENL1 that is the development team, not ENL2.

It comes to something when boys in the Under 16 are saying how bad the ENL2 team is. Even guys on the 14s are saying it. Surely as a youngster you should be looking at the team above you and have respect for those players?

A lot of parents, including myself, are looking at going to different clubs as we don't our children to take backwards steps and play ENL2 (as there will be no regular spots on ENL1). I, along with other parents have made our feelings known to the relevant people but I doubt anything will be done to improve our junior development.

The fact is, ENL2 is used to subsidise the guys that play for free in ENL1, thus thwarting the development of future stars.

Hopefully somebody in power will do the right thing and get the club back on track or they risk losing more and more England and Conference players to rival clubs.

Finally, if anybody is in doubt at the standard of ENL2, there are a couple of games against the local rec team the Spartans (???) next week. This is a PR disaster waiting to happen. Imagine if they lose?

I'm sure neither team are taking the scrimmages particularly seriously though.

ENL2 is a good place for guys who want to improve and not just take it easy like a rec team does if a young player isnt good enough to get into ENL1 where does he go? Isit really down to the older guys to move aside or the younguns to push their way through?

Hockeydad said:
It will be a huge shame if there is no under 18 team this year. This is the pinnacle of British Junior hockey and where the stars of the future ply their trade. The very best of British youngsters competing against each other, week-in week-out. ENL2 has become a joke amongst UK hockey, with it basically being called "Glorified Rec" and sadly, our ENL2 team is exactly that. It is full of average ex-rec players, and players from days gone by and no way helps develop our youngsters.
When the ENL2 was set up, I'm pretty sure one of the main reasons behind it was to give the juniors an opportunity to keep playing competitive hockey, with the chance to develop and step up to ENL1 when the opportunity is given, as has happened this year with players such as Jordan Powell, Jeff Monaghan, and Luke Takel who featured in many games for both squads. The team has a very strong young core of guys who are yet to peak in their game and I wouldn't be surprised to see many of them advance to the ENL1 squad over the next few years.

This is the first year that ENL2 have played together, and yes they could've had a stronger season as they are a team that is more than capable than challenging for the league championship. Their record speaks for itself, and they have learnt some very harsh lessons during the season which I know they are building on over the summer in preparation for September!

I think you've got the wrong impression of this team and the ENL2, which is full of guys who work hard and are trying to get as far in the game as possible, and not a large 'ex-rec' contingent as you suggested. The fact is there is a lot of talent in that team, and anyone who has aspirations of playing professionally or at a high level would benefit from playing in that league during the very early stages of their career.

The thing is though if your time is up in under 16's you would automatically move up to under 18's for 2 more years of developement in line with every other club in the country whether you are a top player or not. If your only option is "trying out" for ENL2 unless you really stand out you wont get a shot and will never know if those 2 extra years could have impoved you.

But as mentiones above by els - no decision has been made yet on under18's - so watch this space.

maccab5 said:
looking at http://www.eiha.co.uk/LinkClick.aspx?fi ... 80&mid=660
i would say as long as your son is 15 at the start of the season he will still be counted as u16 although i do think an under 18's team would be a good idea.

If you turn 16 before 31st December 2010 you cannot be in the under 16's for 2010/2011 season
If you turn 16 1st january 2011 or after you can

It goes on year of birth not season

I would just like to say to hockey dad!! Well said!!! Ragging enl 2 out! This season has been tough on the boys playing. Young and old. And your basically telling us were rubbish! Yes I've come from a rec background. But also played junior devils up to u19's and so have most of the other older players on the team. Which have also played either devils bnl ?? or rage!! personally I think that the youngsters playing for us this season have improved massively throughout the year. Slot more than they would have playing u18's. I don't see how you can try and take that away from them by calling them glorified rec. Why are you so scared of your 16yr old to play in a mens league?? If you want your son to be the "next ben davies" then let them step up and learn the trade they want too. Because playing against men is what will give them the confidence to play the game! Personally the "glorified rec player" that I am. I don't appreciate being ragged out from behind a computer screen!! I like to think that I've been a good role model to the young lads that came up this season and helped them and gave them confidence throughout the season.

And just because you brought it up! The titans have a very strong side! Ex devils players. 2 slovakian players that played at a very high level. And could hold there own at elite now!! Not too mention the other 5/6 players they have that have played epl and enl/rage. They just play for fun now but can step it up whenever they want too..

as to enl2 being a joke!! just look at the few youngsters who played this year. not taking into account jefferson and jordan as said above, who where on a 2way contract with enl1. in which they played very well at both levels. we had Calum Palmer(16) who came on leaps and bounds managing to get himself man of the match in the final game of the season.(picked by the opposing team). Nathan Dunn(16) who has improved massively throughout the season,scoring goals,assisting goals, making hits and taking them. basically just learning and improving from each and every time he's stepped on the ice. training and in games!! Stefan Joseph at the begining of the season wasn't enl1 standard.. but he's banging on the door right now due to the standard of hockey he's been playing all season.

why don't you have the courage of your convictions and put a name on the end of your comments. thats the sporting thing to do. the example you should be setting to your boy.

And due to your comments about the scrimmage between old friends from the titans and enl2. it has now been cancelled robbing the youngsters of a valuable experience!!!

Scott Monaghan.

Kipper

Monaghan7 said:
as to enl2 being a joke!! just look at the few youngsters who played this year. not taking into account jefferson and jordan as said above, who where on a 2way contract with enl1. in which they played very well at both levels. we had Calum Palmer(16) who came on leaps and bounds managing to get himself man of the match in the final game of the season.(picked by the opposing team). Nathan Dunn(16) who has improved massively throughout the season,scoring goals,assisting goals, making hits and taking them. basically just learning and improving from each and every time he's stepped on the ice. training and in games!! Stefan Joseph at the begining of the season wasn't enl1 standard.. but he's banging on the door right now due to the standard of hockey he's been playing all season.

why don't you have the courage of your convictions and put a name on the end of your comments. thats the sporting thing to do. the example you should be setting to your boy.

And due to your comments about the scrimmage between old friends from the titans and enl2. it has now been cancelled robbing the youngsters of a valuable experience!!!

Scott Monaghan.
Very well said Scott.It is a shame that someone has chosen to slag off committed and dedicated ENL2 players out of his own frustrations.These "glorified rec players",in addition to their club ice fees, are paying a not insignificant extra amount for additional off ice fitness training sessions at Cardiff Athletics Stadium throughout the off season. I am full of admiration for the youngsters who stepped up to the plate in ENL2 this season.They have really developed well.If players coming out of U16 aren't good enough to train at ENL2 level and grab the opportunity to play when it arises,they will have no chance of stepping upto ENL1 level when they turn 18.What would they become then? Rec players-glorified or otherwise!! If they have any chance of eventually making ENL1/Devils then they would have no chance if they couldn't survive in ENL2

In an ideal world, it would be great if the club could run an ENL2 and U18 team but I guess it depends on playing numbers available at U18 and ice time. Let's hope that we do get a twin pad in the new rink which will obviously help matters.

Very well said Scott. I could not have put it better myself!

So, hockeydad, I have 2 sons playing enl2, both are very good players and have played for a number of years at junior level and my older boy at junior and rec with the Titans who have been at or near the top of the rec league for many years! My younger boy was 18 last month and missed a year at under 18's but was more than capable of playing enl 1 & 2 as is my older lad along with a couple of others in the team! How many games have you been to see to enable you to state your views with such authority and conviction?

If your son plays in the juniors then I have no doubt you will know who I am and who my sons are so how about putting a name to your comments?

Robin Monaghan

I was so dissappointed to hear of all this slagging off of ENL 2
I just had to read it for myself
I have never played hockey but because of my sons love of the game I have followed it for the past 4 yrs.... not as long as some I know.. but I am beginging to understand it.

I can say with confidence that my son...still a junior.... has worked hard, improved , earned his place in the team and loves the game.
All the things that were the aim of him joining ENL 2 ..but we were advised that there was no guarantee of ice time, a fact he accepted.
It was not easy to watch a 16yr old play against men but it was his decision to step up because he was .. and still is keen to be the best he can

Having been involved with the team over the past season I find the ENL 2 players and coaches to be dedicated, hard working and very supportive of the junior members. Thay have a true team spirit and do not deserve the derogatory terms used against them and to be labelled as " a glorified Rec Side "
We will never know the difference missing out on the U18 experience has made to his game .. but we all think his ENL experience has been beneficial and we look forward to the season ahead as part of the ENL 2 team

As i said have an ENL2 but not at the cost of no under 18's
last season there were not enough would be U18's to make a team - some of them managed to get through trials and play for ENL (well done)
Is there enough space to acommodate this years influx of would be U18's (more than last year) bearing in mind you will probably want to keep most of last seasons squad?
No do you see my point.