Cardiff Devils Confirmed Signings & Departures 2022/23

voth26

Everyone on this thread is commenting on players, we are all fans, no one is an expert and all opinions are uneducated and subjective. So maybe this forum isn’t for you if you can’t grasp that very basic fact, if all you can do is bitch about my opinion & my opinion only. All you have to do is ignore me, if you can’t control your emotions mute me.
And the majority of people who post on here are saying positive things about the players devils have signed, YOU on the other hand generally post negative comments. As you said yourself you haven't seen Thompson play but you still posted that you feel he's taking a backward step!!. Oh and I didn't bitch I commented on your ridiculous comments

Last edited:

Rempel16

I'm the opposite, I've always felt that Hook stood out a little bit, even amongst the imports. He's gritty, a good penalty killer and skates well. He's got a decent release also, and I'm sure he scored one or two against us last season.

My concern if I were a Giants fan is what Mooney (I think?) alluded to previously - where are their Brits' going to come from? Long and Garside aren't going to be anywhere near enough and now they have to go all in on Conway. Even then, they're going to be very reliant on their import core and based on what they've got so far they don't look anywhere near it.

tim78

I think people elluded to Belfast never fielding a team that matched the previous season if they won trophies.
At the moment my expectations are on Cardiff, Sheffield, Glasgow as my top 3.

I think Nottingham are going to shoot themselves in the foot but the fans will enjoy it.

Rempel16

I think people elluded to Belfast never fielding a team that matched the previous season if they won trophies.

I think Nottingham are going to shoot themselves in the foot but the fans will enjoy it.
Out of interest, and this isn't solely directed at you Tim, what about the Clan roster puts them in the top 3/4 this season? Aside from Mitch Jones (who creates plenty of offensive threat from the blue line) and Mathieu Roy (who will get goals even when he's 50 due to the type of goals he scores) I don't see much else in there, and they don't have particularly good netminding to backstop them.

jenks33

I still fancy Nottingham and Belfast to finish above Glasgow. The “Big 4” will be the top 4 again in my opinion but i’m not sure on the order. I think Glasgow will finish 5th. On paper I think Clan look weaker in goal and I’m not convinced about their D. I think they’ll cause teams problems in attack. Chabot looks a good signing and they’ve good experience there. Dixon, Dunbar and Roy not quite the players they were though

Rempel16

Regarding Nottingham, they've gone a different route this season for sure. They've added the toughness with Gagnon (who is also a dependable 3rd pairing d-man), added the agitation in Hunt (who may or may not be a loose cannon) and they've mixed proven EIHL talent with some decent looking new signings. Andrew Johnston in particular is a very shrewd signing for me.

Their depth at centre is very impressive and Ferrara / Moore are both solid additions to their Brit pack.

I think they're going to be right up there this year.

jenks33

Out of interest, and this isn't solely directed at you Tim, what about the Clan roster puts them in the top 3/4 this season? Aside from Mitch Jones (who creates plenty of offensive threat from the blue line) and Mathieu Roy (who will get goals even when he's 50 due to the type of goals he scores) I don't see much else in there, and they don't have particularly good netminding to backstop them.
I’ve also been a bit surprised with the hype surrounding Glasgow. I like a few of their signings but Starrett will be a miss. I think they’ll be more consistent than last year and Braehead will be a tough place to visit. I really don’t see them finishing top 4 though. A 5th placed finish for me

JC23

I think a LOT of people are sleeping on how good of an acquisition Steven McParland is for Glasgow also.

That’s a guy I would have loved here - and one I think we would have been in on if we hadn’t re-signed the goat, and/or Jake Coughler.

tim78

I know they don't have a great depth in brits , though Cownie and Peacock are experienced, don't see a massive difference between Nottingham on that front.

Their coach had his first season and I'm hoping he does better after their start and his initial taste of EHIL.

How Coventry describe Penny, is how I saw Nolan laPorte last season. There's been considerably plenty of seasons where the arena teams have left top 3 spots for the others (granted Glasgow is an arena).

Parland - Dunbar - Chabot
Dixon - Roy - La Porte

Mazzoak

And the majority of people who post on here are saying positive things about the players devils have signed, YOU on the other hand generally post negative comments. As you said yourself you haven't seen Thompson play but you still posted that you feel he's taking a backward step!!. Oh and I didn't bitch I commented on your ridiculous comments
I haven’t seen him play here in the EIHL, my comment a step backwards coming into the EIHL should tell you l think he’s a better player than our league, surely that’s a positive. As l haven’t seen how he will adapt and play here, that he’s not advanced much, in my opinion in the ECHL or been picked up in Europe, it’s a concern. That’s why my pre season assessment of him is I’ll reserve judgement, l simply don’t know. He could be a real gem or he may have issues……..

OJLloyd

Might not be the right place for this -

Matt Register on Wally’s podcast talking about how he was expecting to come back but the deal fell apart and he doesn’t know why.

I was on the fence about him returning (in that I felt he was sometimes inconsistent defensively, but I liked him), but it is disappointing to hear that we have now had Mosey, Myers, and Register bemoan the way they left the Devils.

There could be plenty of reasons why (and his agent was no doubt involved, which might explain things) but we don’t want to risk our reputation as a team that looks after people.

moggy#9

Matt Register on Wally’s podcast talking about how he was expecting to come back but the deal fell apart and he doesn’t know why.

I was on the fence about him returning (in that I felt he was sometimes inconsistent defensively, but I liked him), but it is disappointing to hear that we have now had Mosey, Myers, and Register bemoan the way they left the Devils.

There could be plenty of reasons why (and his agent was no doubt involved, which might explain things) but we don’t want to risk our reputation as a team that looks after people.
I think that you probably have to consider the circumstances around the three players. In the case of mosey and Myers we had a new coach coming in who wanted to do things in a particular way. Waller was certainly an upgrade on Myers (particularly given myers' age). Mosey's jokey personality may have been an issue for Skalde. In the case of register it's possible that wages may have been an issue, or that the options that presented themselves seemed to have greater upside.

The fact that we have players like Martin and jardine returning days to me that there's no problem with the way the club looks after people.

jenks33

I don’t think you’re wrong but I suspect other clubs in the EIHL have had the same problems since Covid. In the past we were probably quite generous to players that we were trying to re-sign but it’s probably a lot more cutthroat now. Bit of a take it or leave it approach. It must be difficult for the owners and Todd to keep everyone happy and sign/re-sign exactly who they want when finances are clearly tighter. Particularly with the unofficial salary cap last season

Last edited: