Cardiff Devils Confirmed Signings & Departures 2022/23

OJLloyd

21 year old Brit who will be, at best, third string (I don’t mean that in a bad sense, but more that he will be playing for Bristol).

He can train with us and develop, and hopefully turn into a starter one day. Very young and plenty of time to improve.

No complaints from me.

Swarley

Really not sure about this signing if I’m honest
I think we've kinda shot ourselves in the foot with goalie recruitment, having Bowns back and an import back up "if we do that" is a waste of an import spot if Bowns goes the distance like he use to, the signing it's self means Bowns could have an eye on this kid being his replacement as starter for the club in a few years time.

Goalie set up as a whole for the up coming season has me curious so this just adds to the excitement of wtf is happening lol

Devils86

2-way deal gives us a chance to look at him in-depth for the year and see if he has potential. Write up talks about GB and progressing with ice time - wasn't he the kid dropped in at the deep end when Carr got injured last season?

We need to succession plan for our Brit pack retiring but think this is nothing but helping out the Pitbulls pick up a decent young NM.

Kozun still back for us, this just gives us another backup for Challenge Cup dead rubbers.

Devil94

I think we've kinda shot ourselves in the foot with goalie recruitment, having Bowns back and an import back up "if we do that" is a waste of an import spot if Bowns goes the distance like he use to, the signing it's self means Bowns could have an eye on this kid being his replacement as starter for the club in a few years time.

Goalie set up as a whole for the up coming season has me curious so this just adds to the excitement of wtf is happening lol
How is signing Bowns a waste of an import spot? It's literally giving us an extra spot from last year.

Kevlar68

I myself do not want to see Bowns as a stand alone nettie for us and our back up just picking up the odd game.
I'm still not convinced Bowns is the keeper he was before his injury, he looks slower, less mobile and less confident after his GB showing.
Equal share of duties i would be happy with though.

I myself do not want to see Bowns as a stand alone nettie for us and our back up just picking up the odd game.
I'm still not convinced Bowns is the keeper he was before his injury, he looks slower, less mobile and less confident after his GB showing.
Equal share of duties i would be happy with though.
Couldn’t agree more ! Carnt say he wasn’t good but now for me he has passed it not a very good last season with us two year rubbish seasons over seas yes ok injury’s but after watching the worlds we are in trouble if the club is thinking he can be our main goal tender I got a very twitchy bum tbh with the goaltending last season fantastic but if we had bowns in last season we would of been way below 3rd carruth gave us a chance we look very good out this season so far but I’m not very confident in our net minding heard kozun is staying I like him think he lost is confidence but the lad needs more minutes and I hope if he is back he gets it and it’s not all bowns obviously a personal opinion but we will be in trouble

Swarley

So out of interest what would your ideal netminding duo look like? Someone like Carruth with someone like Kerlin?
Ideally Carruth and Bowns on a proper tandem would of been the dream.

Kerlin I think is a project Bowns has taken on as a future replacement for himself as a starting goalie for GB, until we find out who the back up is we won't know what's happening and what sort of split the goalies share.

Devil94

Kerlin isn't our back up though so Kerlin is now our Lawday.
We had Bowns, Murdy, Lawday.
So now i'd go Import, Bowns. Kerlin.
That would be a hell of a lot of money spent on netminders, and a lot money left on the bench every night. In a hockey sense it would be ideal to have 2 genuine quality starters but it's not realistic.

Ideally Carruth and Bowns on a proper tandem would of been the dream.
That leaves the exact same import slots as what we will have this year, and one more than last year. So how is Bowns wasting an import slot?

Diablo3

Lots of rumours that Kozun will be back anyway. So we will have Bowns / Kozun. sharing the games. Kerlin is likely to be a what if one of them is injured type of thing.

Swarley

That leaves the exact same import slots as what we will have this year, and one more than last year. So how is Bowns wasting an import slot?
I said having an import as back up is a waste of an import spot if Bowns goes the distance and takes majority games, like Kevlar said it would make sense to have Import > Bowns > Kerlin

If we are gonna have an import goalie it should be a starting goalie not a back up goalie

Devil94

Kerlin is on a 2 way so his money and main contract is through Pitbulls and trains with us, so that isn't an issue.
No, the money was in regards to having Bowns and also signing someone like Carruth. Those would be 2 of the highest earners on the roster, with 1 sitting out every night. That's why we had Kozun last year and not someone of the same pedigree as Carruth. And why I suspect we'll have Kozun this year too.