Cardiff Devils Confirmed Signings & Departures 2022/23

Finny

I wonder if the negotiations went along the lines of:

Devils: "Great season Brodie. We'd love to have you back"
Brodie: "Thanks. What can you offer me?"
Devils: "Joey Martin as your centre"
Brodie: "Where's the pen for me to sign?"

Great to see Reid back. Even under the success of the Lordo years we missed an out and out sniper. When you eventually find one you want to keep them for as long as possible.

E.D.S.

Not as a exciting for me but we all have our favourites. Challenge if you didn’t re-sign Brodie you would be trying to replace 40 goals a season somewhere else which isn’t easy. I struggled with his lack of mobility which was just emphasised further playing with Register at times. Players very easily got around the outside of both. We looked exposed. Last year we had a team that needed to dig deep and do some of the dirty things well and that wasn’t Reid for me but with a better make up of the team this year that lack of mobility might not be as much of an issue.

RedDevil17

Good to see Reid back. However, he always seemed like a one trick pony so to speak (pass to the back post for a one timer) and he was quite anonymous in the majority of the big games I thought. Dont get me wrong it’s good to get our top goalscorer back and I’m not complaining, but he needs to step up in the big games (Belfast double header for example)

moggy#9

For me, with Reid and Martin on that top line, I'm not sure there's a place for Crandall. We really need a winger who is going to drive the net and retain the puck in the zone. I'm guessing that Zach budish could be that guy.

jenks33

For me, with Reid and Martin on that top line, I'm not sure there's a place for Crandall. We really need a winger who is going to drive the net and retain the puck in the zone. I'm guessing that Zach budish could be that guy.
I agree. In an ideal world I’d have a big winger alongside Reid and Martin and I’d have Crandall on our third line (assuming Cox, Coughler and Sanford are on the 2nd line). Not sure we can entice Crandall to come back as a third liner though.

jenks33

Crandall is vastly underrated, he gave so many assists last season. The guy is a playmaker and I'd love him back.
It’s not about talent for me, it’s about having the right balance. Personally I don’t think you need Martin and Crandall on the same line. Hypothetically speaking let’s say our top 6 forwards are Reid-Martin-Crandall + Sanford-Coughler-Cox. There’s obviously enough talent there at this level but for me there’s not enough variety and size. Especially when you hear Dupont talk about the way he wants us to play next season. I want a big body on that top line. If we could somehow get Crandall on that third line with possibly Waller and a big centre then in my opinion we’ll have three dangerous lines and a 4th line of potentially Duggan-Davies-Brandt that will work their socks off.

Last edited:

Diablo3

It’s not about talent for me, it’s about having the right balance. Personally I don’t think you need Martin and Crandall on the same line. Hypothetically speaking let’s say our top 6 forwards are Reid-Martin-Crandall + Sanford-Coughler-Cox. There’s obviously enough talent there at this level but for me there’s not enough variety and size. Especially when you hear Dupont talk about the way he wants us to play next season. I want a big body on that top line. If we could somehow get Crandall on that third line with possibly Waller and a big centre then in my opinion we’ll have three dangerous lines and a 4th line of potentially Duggan-Davies-Brandt that will work their socks off.
You're right, according to Dupont, he wants us to be bigger, but it would be such a waste of talent to let him go. We must be able to find a spot for him somewhere.

moggy#9

I think Crandall will stay on a line with reid
But if you do that your have to put Martin on the 3rd line and get a big body centre for the first. Otherwise there's just not enough physicality. I can't imagine we're going to be paying Martin 3rd line wages. Somewhere there have to be economies to stay in the wage gap.

jenks33

The way I look at it is if I’m Adam Keefe/Aaron Fox I would be very worried about our PP if our top two lines are Crandall/Martin/Reid + Cox/Coughler/Sanford but I would be saying to my team “if we’re physical but disciplined (which I appreciate is easier said than done) I fancy us to keep their top 6 forwards to the outside 5 on 5”. Where as if we had the lines below I’d be thinking “Christ they’ve got a bit of everything on those 3 lines”. Plus 3 guys on the 4th line that will work their bag off every night.

Big left winger- Martin - Reid

Cox - Coughler - Sanford

Crandall - Big Centre - Waller

bozman

Good to see Reid back. However, he always seemed like a one trick pony so to speak (pass to the back post for a one timer) and he was quite anonymous in the majority of the big games I thought. Dont get me wrong it’s good to get our top goalscorer back and I’m not complaining, but he needs to step up in the big games (Belfast double header for example)
isnt there someone in the NHL who has the same one trick, Ovechkin