Cardiff Devils Confirmed Signings & Departures 2022/23

Mazzoak

Carruth is gone, get over it. Good n/m but a nightmare in the locker room, he won’t be back!
He maybe back, just not in a Devils shirt, and he was better than Good. If this decision backfires, I’ll be the one reminding people not to criticise the guy they did & didnt support.

jenks33

I find the ‘such a bad egg’ reputation a strange one.

It was clear he had his rituals and routines becoming very engrossed in the game, no doubt like that in practice so probably pretty intense…or professional.
You could tell he is a very good reader of what was happening in front of him.

I think he expected more from the organisation, coach and the league.

At the after game skate, signings, bar and around the rink he always came over a a decent guy.
Bottom line is we'll never know exactly what goes on in the dressing room so to be fair i should say Carruth is 'apparently a bad egg' rather than he's 'definitely a bad egg'.

What i will say is i've heard negative things about him from multiple sources (Yes i know it's annoying when people talk about their bloody sources :)...)

In all seriousness when i take into account the things i've heard (I'm sure a few of us have heard these rumours) plus listening to Carruth on Wally's podcast (it seems like it was the clubs decision rather than Carruth's). I'm convinced he wasn't asked to come back because he's a difficult character.

I'm sure club's in the EIHL keep players on their books every season that aren't the most popular in the dressing room. What i would say though is i would never criticize a GM/Coach for releasing a 'marmite' player. However good that player is.

Swarley

I'm convinced he wasn't asked to come back because he's a difficult character..
To play the other side of that fence I could say I'm convinced he was pushed out because Bowns didn't want to compete for the starting spot and pulled strings so he got what he wanted.

So many what ifs and rumors and sources, unless it comes directly from Bowns or Mac it's speculation and hearsay which is worth as much as a devils O'connor jerseys...

Kevlar68

This place never changes. Might as well write the next season off without playing, it's all pointless.

Several people on this board seem to think so anyhow.
I've followed this thread closely and nowhere has anyone written the season off, no one has even come close to saying that.
Members have stated what will be needed to compete but no one has thrown the towel in already.
All the comments pro and con of the signings all have valid points.

jenks33

Like you I’m hoping/assuming that the Cox-Coughler-Sanford will return and be kept together.
If Reid and Crandall both return I’d like to at least start the season with Martin centering their line. Yes we lose the physicality of Dixon, but the extra creativity excites me. I know some fans were critical of Reid because “ he only scores goals” but ultimately if he was that good a sniper and more all round play then he wouldn’t be in this league.
Similar to when we had Pelle. Max and Matzka were the ones to get the puck into the zone, wait for Pelle to sneak to the back door and then pass it to him.
There seems to be much agreement amongst fans that we’d like to see a Brandt - Davies - Duggan 4th line. It might not score many goals but every other line in the league would hate to play against.
As to the 3rd line, I too would like to see Waller on it. If Dixon isn’t retiring then I’d be happy to see him there along with the power-forward we call for each season!
Dupont keeps on saying he wants us to be heavier so i've just got a feeling we won't go with Crandall - Martin - Reid + the CCS line. I'm not doubting the talent on those lines but surely it's a bit too lightweight for a coach that wants us to be heavier? I'm not sure we can just have a couple of heavy players on the third line and call ourselves heavier than last season.

See i'd like to see Crandall and Martin on seperate lines. Although they play different positions i think there are a few similarities there. Joey Martin can do everything but i still think he's predominantly a disher and it's his vision that sets him apart. I also think Crandall is like that, he's a pass first player with great vision. If you had them on seperate lines i think it makes us much stronger throughout the line up. As i said earlier though, Is it realistic to have Crandall on the third line, i'm not sure.

Last edited:

jenks33

To play the other side of that fence I could say I'm convinced he was pushed out because Bowns didn't want to compete for the starting spot and pulled strings so he got what he wanted.

So many what ifs and rumors and sources, unless it comes directly from Bowns or Mac it's speculation and hearsay which is worth as much as a devils O'connor jerseys...
I don't think there was ever going to be a scenario where we would have Bowns and Carruth on the same roster. We wouldn't blow that much of the budget on goalies.

We'll probably never know will we. I don't think for one minute though we wouldn't want Carruth back if it was just based on his on ice performances. He's outstanding at this level

What's the word Todd and Steve have probably used the most in the past few months? Culture. I suspect Skalde and Carruth didn't fit into the culture TK and SK want at the Devils, for different reasons though.

Last edited:

kingmo19.1

Brebant was tolerated because he was a bit cringe in being full of himself and wanting others to know that. He wasn’t a dressing room disrupter which makes a big difference!

Mazzoak

Shock, horror a profesional sports person being a diva, selfish, arrogant, irritating, self entitled, disruptive, disrespectful. That never happens.

Jonesy83

Not read the whole thread but I don’t really care who’s in Goal as they’ll have a much easier time without O’ Connor on D for half a season.

I do think Bowns is a down grade on Carruth, but it is what it is, the decision has been made…so here we go.
Let’s hope for a Bownsy wave at every home game this season.