Cardiff Devils Confirmed Signings & Departures 2019/20

tim78

Riley Martin Reddox
Linglet Dixon Pope
Marjamaki McNamee Haddad
Batch Myers Duggan

Though I think we'll have a spare swapping with Batch.

Gaz G

Bit sad I know but Just watched the video from Saturday night again. Did anyone else find it quite amusing watch Joey float around in the background for about 20 minutes.

jenks33

Hedden is probably the most disappointing signing for me since the new ownership took over. I don’t mean the worst I mean the most disappointing. 62 points is very good and he did well, I just thought this guy was going to be the league MVP. Everything I heard about Hedden last summer + his CV suggested to me he was going to be a top 10 scorer with a real nasty streak. I thought he was going to be outstanding. Maybe my expectations were too high but after his impressive performances in the CHL I always felt like there was something missing.

Wannabe2

Very sad to be losing one hell of a player, a player that was pure class, a player that to me just oozed easiness in the art of playing hockey. Good luck Mike and thank you for bringing your unbelievable talent to Cardiff, it was unfortunately only one season, but was a pure joy.

OJLloyd

62 points and a real ability on the puck.

Think he was accused of being lazy by some because of the fact that he was probably better than a lot of the players on the ice in league games, and didn’t need to exert himself as much.

This does mean we have probably one, potentially 2, spaces to fit Ulmer, Mo, Livingston and Benti in to. That doesn’t include hopefully retaining Toms on a two-way deal.

Seems like there will be some sad farewells this summer.

Mooney#16

Think that's a little harsh. For me he was on a line for majority of the year that didn't complement him that well with Linglet and Dixon and unfortunately for him a lot of plays seemed to break down at his stick. I think it's a bit harsh to call a guy un interested when for me he was struggling for chemistry. Once he went out with Martin and Benti his game elevated and so did his contribution. I think with Hedden it's a thanks for the season and good luck for the future. He did his part.

Finny

Hedden was the player who had me scratching my head for most of the season. He finished the season with 34 goals from 83 games. An impressive tally and second highest on the team.

And yet, I somehow felt unsatisified ( I can't think of a better word).

Perhaps that is partially down to my pre-season thoughts of him. I expected him to be a standout. A player who had 3 full seasons in the AHL before time in the KHL, Finnish league and then 3 in the DEL. Based on those stats I expected him to score 30+ goals in the league....but he only managed 20.

And whilst hockey isn't just about scoring goals, if he wasn't scoring goals I didn't notice him much. He wasn't pulling off great moves like Linglet. He wasn't smashing opponents into the boards like Dixon. He wasn't killing off penalites like his life depended on it like Myers.

Yes he got more physical towards the end of the season and yes he scored more when on a line with Martin (who wouldn't) but he never fulfilled my pre-season hopes for him.

That might well be down to me, but I don't seem to be the only one who felt that way.
Not that he wasn't a bad player. He was good and I wish him the best for the future.

But when I look at our line-up and think "we need a 30+ goalscorer" I wonder if I that might be a risk after what happened with Hedden.

jenks33

It does seem harsh to be critical of a player with 62 points but the thing that stands out for me is 20 goals. I genuinely think Lordo was expecting/hoping for Hedden to get 30+. He wasn't far off 20 goals in the DEL + AHL so I think 30 goals was realistic

Gazza272

Hedden was the player who had me scratching my head for most of the season. He finished the season with 34 goals from 83 games. An impressive tally and second highest on the team.

Perhaps that is partially down to my pre-season thoughts of him. I expected him to be a standout. A player who had 3 full seasons in the AHL before time in the KHL, Finnish league and then 3 in the DEL. Based on those stats I expected him to score 30+ goals in the league....but he only managed 20.

And whilst hockey isn't just about scoring goals, if he wasn't scoring goals I didn't notice him much. He wasn't pulling off great moves like Linglet. He wasn't smashing opponents into the boards like Dixon. He wasn't killing off penalites like his life depended on it like Myers.

Yes he got more physical towards the end of the season and yes he scored more when on a line with Martin (who wouldn't) but he never fulfilled my pre-season hopes for him.

That might well be down to me, but I don't seem to be the only one who felt that way.
Not that he wasn't a bad player. He was good and I wish him the best for the future.

But when I look at our line-up and think "we need a 30+ goalscorer" I wonder if I that might be a risk after what happened with Hedden.

I think this sums up my feelings as well.

We've seen in the past Haddad take games by the scruff of the neck, and drag us towards a victory. I thought Hedden had the ability to be in that mould, and indeed when Haddad got injured Hedden was the one i looked to in order to be the one to take on that role.

But I never felt he impressed on the big games enough, particularly away games. There was one game in Fife where he was simply unplayable, but he seemed to pick and choose to play that way. Those 62 points, could have been 82 with a little more fire in certain passages of games.

Not a bad player, but i can see why the decision was made by both parties to separate. I hope he smashes up the ECHL next year.

jenks33

I think you've hit the nail on the head. I'm sure Lordo was hoping for more than 20 league goals from Mike but you can possibly ignore that if he brought more to the table. I think he had it in his game to be a lot feistier and throw more hits. Yes he isn't the biggest guy but he's stocky