Cardiff Devils Confirmed Signings & Departures 2019/20

jenks33

This forum really does baffle me at times. I won't repeat the faux Pas of last year (even if I stand by it and used it as an example).

I bumped into a couple of friends the other day. Met them at the Ice Hockey years ago. Travelled home and away to watch the Devil's when in comparison to now they were pretty shit.

We can't attend many if any matches now as it simply costs to much with a young family etc. We are however still avid fans.

I seriously question certain posters opinions on here though. Were you here through the bad times when the old WNIR was demolished? Were you on the ice after the game against the Bison? Did you march from city hall in protest? Odds are probably not for around 50% of posters.

This ice hockey organisation has become in my opinion the best in Britain.

I'm going to put it out there quite simply that Andrew Lord, Todd Kellman and the ownership group have got this under control. They've done a pretty good job over the last few years. They will also sign the best players available to them.

All you guys calling for Jake's head, think bigger. Lordo is obviously going to go elsewhere. Might be this year or next. What better person to come in and literally just continue what Lordo has started. He loves the club, he loves the city.

Give it 5 years and you could all be moaning that Jake is leaving. With the organisation in place I'd bet that 5 years after that we'll be in the same place.
When rich (yes in ice hockey terms rich) ambitious owners took over our club 5 years ago did you not see expectations rising? I don’t see why fans can’t have high expectations just because their club have been through bad times. I’ve followed the devils since 95 and my expectations were high in the late 90’s and early 00’s, low for about 15 years and now they are high again. What is wrong with that?
I do too trust Andrew Lord in his judgement but what’s the problem in questioning some decisions? Or having an opinion? He’s not right all the time and I’m sure even Lordo would admit that. Look at the signing of Drew Paris for example? What a complete failure that was.
It’s a fact that we weren’t quite good enough to win the league last year so it’s obvious that a few changes have to be made. There’s nothing wrong with coming on a forum and expressing who you think should stay and who you think should move on. I really do find it baffling why people are so sensitive about that.
I do think copying players into personal insults and criticism on twitter and Facebook is completely unnecessary though.

When rich (yes in ice hockey terms rich) ambitious owners took over our club 5 years ago did you not see expectations rising? I don’t see why fans can’t have high expectations just because their club have been through bad times. I’ve followed the devils since 95 and my expectations were high in the late 90’s and early 00’s, low for about 15 years and now they are high again. What is wrong with that?
I do too trust Andrew Lord in his judgement but what’s the problem in questioning some decisions? Or having an opinion? He’s not right all the time and I’m sure even Lordo would admit that. Look at the signing of Drew Paris for example? What a complete failure that was.
It’s a fact that we weren’t quite good enough to win the league last year so it’s obvious that a few changes have to be made. There’s nothing wrong with coming on a forum and expressing who you think should stay and who you think should move on. I really do find it baffling why people are so sensitive about that.
I do think copying players into personal insults and criticism on twitter and Facebook is completely unnecessary though.
I appreciate what you say, my personal opinion is some devils fans almost expect us to walk the league now every year. When we come up against a good team like Belfast last year we aren't guaranteed to win. That for me is the difference in I would expect us to be top 3 mainly challenging each year where as some will expect us to win the league each year. In hockey winning year on year for me while amazing is unrealistic. Since the new owners have come in we have challenged every year and for me that is the expectation now, if we came 5/6th then is the time to question what has happened. It just happens some years teams unearth some real gems like Belfast did.

jenks33

I appreciate what you say, my personal opinion is some devils fans almost expect us to walk the league now every year. When we come up against a good team like Belfast last year we aren't guaranteed to win. That for me is the difference in I would expect us to be top 3 mainly challenging each year where as some will expect us to win the league each year. In hockey winning year on year for me while amazing is unrealistic. Since the new owners have come in we have challenged every year and for me that is the expectation now, if we came 5/6th then is the time to question what has happened. It just happens some years teams unearth some real gems like Belfast did.
I do agree with you on that. There are some fans that do expect us to walk the league every year which is ridiculous. For what it’s worth I fancied Belfast from the off last season after they picked up Dwyer and Baun during the latter part of the summer.

Finny

Surely League, Conference and Challenge Cup make Giants the best in the league at the moment ?......or have I missed something? Does winning P/O final a couple of years running supersede that?
You realise there is a difference between team and club?

Not sure if you go on THF but if you'll do you'll see there are lots of fans of other teams who claim the Devils are the best run club now.
And even if you were judging it on-ice, two League titles, two Playoff Championships, two Challenge Cup titles and Three Conference titles all in the space of five years (plus runners-up on five occasions?) tells me that we are definitely the best club on ice in recent years. Unless you can find me a team to challenge that?

And yes the Giants were the best team last year. But that title ended as soon as your players all jumped ship for "..bigger and better things.."

jenks33

Has anyone said that no changes are needed? I must have missed that comment if they have.

It's also going to be a pretty hard achievement seing as Schiestel has already signed for Coventry.
I should have said for the people that felt changes weren’t needed. There were certainly a few comments on here last month saying they were happy for the whole roster to be given another chance to regain the title

I seriously question certain posters opinions on here though. Were you here through the bad times when the old WNIR was demolished? Were you on the ice after the game against the Bison? Did you march from city hall in protest? Odds are probably not for around 50% of posters.

This ice hockey organisation has become in my opinion the best in Britain.

I'm going to put it out there quite simply that Andrew Lord, Todd Kellman and the ownership group have got this under control. They've done a pretty good job over the last few years. They will also sign the best players available to them.

All you guys calling for Jake's head, think bigger. Lordo is obviously going to go elsewhere. Might be this year or next. What better person to come in and literally just continue what Lordo has started. He loves the club, he loves the city.

Give it 5 years and you could all be moaning that Jake is leaving. With the organisation in place I'd bet that 5 years after that we'll be in the same place.
While I agree with this often, wrt heated posts during the season, I think this criticism of the forum is a bit unwarranted on this occasion. It's fair enough to discuss in the off season which players might return, and where an upgrade might happen. Mainly just for the fun of discussing it. I do trust the management, completely, but it's a bit dull to post "whatever they do it will be great" every day. I think people have been mostly measured in their comments re Mo and Pope. They're not being hysterical and saying they're rubbish, but if you want to improve a team (and I'm sure that is Lordo's aim), then you have to change some players, you can't just re-sign everyone.
We don't know who will have left under their own steam anyway, of course, and that will influence decisions - for instance if Dixon, Hedden, Livingstone and Ulmer (say) have all decided to move on or retire, then retaining Mo and Pope becomes increasingly likely, and understandable. FWIW (ie not much), I think Mo did a good job in a different role last year and brings stability to the club, and acts as that link between managements and players, so he does more than what we see on the ice. I think he'll stay, but perhaps as the 'spare' import, dropping to the bench and being an almost assistant coach.

Wagstaff

Sorry to disappoint you all but the man you loved to hate, Kevin Noble will not be returning to the Blaze next season.
Not sure he is replaceable for you guys?

Diablo3

Given we are after D men, how about
Holden Anderson
Who has transferred to "unknown" from the French league. Only 25 and still learning.

Sorry should be on the Rumours thread.....

osh

Given we are after D men, how about
Holden Anderson
Who has transferred to "unknown" from the French league. Only 25 and still learning.

Sorry should be on the Rumours thread.....
Wouldn’t want this guy anywhere near our team, his own team banned him in France !

jenks33

Looks a decent signing. Little bit of an anti climax as I thought we were going to announce Reddox or Segal when the devils twitter account said that the new player played in the CHL last season.
Also what a cock up from the media team. Announced 23 minutes early on the devils website
No disrespect to Mcnamee but I still feel a couple of ‘major’ signings will be announced during the Calgary stampede. Riley probably being one of those