Cardiff Devils Confirmed Signings & Departures 2019/20

RedDevil17

Pope will be a fine Re signing.

He finished 7th in Scoring despite being taken off of the powerplay that he was on constantly the year before, yes there was a time where it looked like he lost some confidence in front of goal, but he was arguably our most influential forward in the last 4 weeks of the season. And he seemed to have found some Chemistry with Dixon and Linglet.

He's obviously someone who wants to be here, and has the potential to be his own replacement, he has the ability to gain an extra 15 - 20 points. Let's get behind him to do so.
Does Pope really want to be here though because it looked at times like he didn’t. If he comes back he needs to step up big time in order for me to change my opinion. I’d replace Pope personally but I doubt we will. Think we can upgrade on Reddick and for me we can do better than Ulmer too.

This is an aging squad so I think we should take the Belfast route and go with younger placements who are just as good. If Strachan and Carson come (I’d make an exception in terms of age) then that’ll strengthen the D. Also have Riley over Pope. The other alternative is to play Reddick as a forward.

Again this is just my opinion so feel free to disagree in terms of who to keep/get rid of:

Ulmer (Aging)
Mo (Past it)
Reddick (We can upgrade, but can’t fault his effort!)
Pope (Can upgrade)

The rest can stay. Unsure on Benti

Wannabe2

He finished 7th in Scoring despite being taken off of the powerplay that he was on constantly the year before, yes there was a time where it looked like he lost some confidence in front of goal, but he was arguably our most influential forward in the last 4 weeks of the season. And he seemed to have found some Chemistry with Dixon and Linglet.

He's obviously someone who wants to be here, and has the potential to be his own replacement, he has the ability to gain an extra 15 - 20 points. Let's get behind him to do so.
Think he was actually joint 9th in scoring in the league

Wannabe2

Does Pope really want to be here though because it looked at times like he didn’t. If he comes back he needs to step up big time in order for me to change my opinion. I’d replace Pope personally but I doubt we will. Think we can upgrade on Reddick and for me we can do better than Ulmer too.

This is an aging squad so I think we should take the Belfast route and go with younger placements who are just as good. If Strachan and Carson come (I’d make an exception in terms of age) then that’ll strengthen the D. Also have Riley over Pope. The other alternative is to play Reddick as a forward.

Again this is just my opinion so feel free to disagree in terms of who to keep/get rid of:

Ulmer (Aging)
Mo (Past it)
Reddick (We can upgrade, but can’t fault his effort!)
Pope (Can upgrade)

The rest can stay. Unsure on Benti
But Mosey needs replacing, also Schiestel, I can see 4/5 new faces
Sorry should have qualified, 7th on our team.
No he was joint 9th in scoring in the league in our team.If He was 7th in the league we probably wouldn’t be having this conversation.

jenks33

Completely disagree with this. Replacing Pope is a no brainer in my opinion but I’m sure he’s probably re-signed. You’re obviously entitled to your opinion though and I respect that

Gazza272

i
Do you think Pope would have been short of offers after year 1 here? yet he committed to stay, that says to me he does want to be here.

And sometimes players confidence dips, that doesn't mean they don't want to be here. It may be the first time it's ever happened to him, and he had to work out how to manage his way out of his slump, personally I think he did that, and very effectively, look at him dishing the puck playoff weekend, the guy did well to bounce back.

jenks33

Do you think Pope would have been short of offers after year 1 here? yet he committed to stay, that says to me he does want to be here.

And sometimes players confidence dips, that doesn't mean they don't want to be here. It may be the first time it's ever happened to him, and he had to work out how to manage his way out of his slump, personally I think he did that, and very effectively, look at him dishing the puck playoff weekend, the guy did well to bounce back.
Let’s not go over the top about Pope’s loyalty. He met his girlfriend during his first year here and they’re still together. That was probably a big factor in him re-signing. And he spent no more than one season at previous clubs before us. Im not convinced we’d have seen pope for a second season in Cardiff if he hadn’t met his girlfriend here.

Devils86

Both Pope and Mo are divisive figures on here. As a fan I do yearn for the “new signing” that improves us - the thrill of the unexpected. That being said I’d be content with both staying - it would just mean you ask the question “who else do you replace?”

That being said there have been (Schiestel) and will be players who leave on their own terms. The likes of Benti, Ulmer and others will decide for whatever reason that they don’t come back (whether age or to head home).

I’ve given up trying to predict who will be signed because I have no clue. I do however have faith in Lord and TK to build a roster - they know what they are doing.

Whoever signs will get my support. Whoever doesn’t will get my best wishes.

explain to me how? This is a genuine question and not a wind up
He means the package on offer to players to lure them here - not the "package" on the ice. The number of departures from the Giants which they would have liked to retain, compared with the retention rate of the devils would back this up. Who actually has the best team come August will be up for debate.

Wannabe2

It’s not just about Luring players here, it’s about how they are treated when they arrive, you can sell sand to a Arab, but if you can’t deliver the sand, then it’s second best.

voth26

Both Pope and Mo are divisive figures on here. As a fan I do yearn for the “new signing” that improves us - the thrill of the unexpected. That being said I’d be content with both staying - it would just mean you ask the question “who else do you replace?”

That being said there have been (Schiestel) and will be players who leave on their own terms. The likes of Benti, Ulmer and others will decide for whatever reason that they don’t come back (whether age or to head home).

I’ve given up trying to predict who will be signed because I have no clue. I do however have faith in Lord and TK to build a roster - they know what they are doing.

Personally I hope we don't re-sign Mo no disrespect but I think he's 2 seasons past his best for me, and definitely a player we should be looking to upgrade on, Pope i like but he needs to be the player he was in his first season, last season he got distracted by certain comments on social media sites, he needs to be 100% concentration on the team and if he cant do that he also needs to move on!!

Devil94

Players will often have poor seasons, and there will be factors causing that that us fans will know nothing about. I certainly won't complain if Pope is back, because I've seen how good he can be, and how he can up his game in the big games.

Tyson Marsh first season with us was average, a few complaints when he returned for a second year, but then he was an absolute warrior for us in his second year.
I also remember Joey Haddad having an average second year with us, and he came back for his third year where he was superb.

It happens, and if Lordo is confident he can bring back the Pope from the first year then I would be happy with that.

I've heard Pope was re-signed ages ago - don't know how true it is. If we get the Pope who started last season - great; the Pope who finished last season - good; the Pope in the middle - not so much. So it will depend on if they feel they've identified the cause of that dip - if injury then fair enough. I like him but he seems a bit over-sensitive to criticism which affects his form, which leads to more criticism, etc He seemed to go within himself last season and struggle to come out again. Some of that criticism may have been unjustified, but if he let's it affect his performance that is something he needs to address. So if he does re-sign I'll be positive for him partly because I think he thrives on that, but he'll need to be consistent.

zoesdevil

Rumours towards end of last season was that he was carrying an Injury.

jenks33

I've heard Pope was re-signed ages ago - don't know how true it is. If we get the Pope who started last season - great; the Pope who finished last season - good; the Pope in the middle - not so much. So it will depend on if they feel they've identified the cause of that dip - if injury then fair enough. I like him but he seems a bit over-sensitive to criticism which affects his form, which leads to more criticism, etc He seemed to go within himself last season and struggle to come out again. Some of that criticism may have been unjustified, but if he let's it affect his performance that is something he needs to address. So if he does re-sign I'll be positive for him partly because I think he thrives on that, but he'll need to be consistent.
You mention pope finishing last season well and you’re absolutely right. But that’s another frustration I have with Pope. I’ve watched the play off semi final and final back and pope played very well. Do you know what he did differently though? He actually put a few hits in and had a bit of jump to his game. Now people might say thats an unfair criticism because that’s not his usual game but chances are he will be on the 3rd/4th line next season and I think he will have to bring an element of that to his game. He’s a big body and in my opinion he showed during the play offs that he can adapt his game

Gaz G

This forum really does baffle me at times. I won't repeat the faux Pas of last year (even if I stand by it and used it as an example).

I bumped into a couple of friends the other day. Met them at the Ice Hockey years ago. Travelled home and away to watch the Devil's when in comparison to now they were pretty shit.

We can't attend many if any matches now as it simply costs to much with a young family etc. We are however still avid fans.

I seriously question certain posters opinions on here though. Were you here through the bad times when the old WNIR was demolished? Were you on the ice after the game against the Bison? Did you march from city hall in protest? Odds are probably not for around 50% of posters.

This ice hockey organisation has become in my opinion the best in Britain.

I'm going to put it out there quite simply that Andrew Lord, Todd Kellman and the ownership group have got this under control. They've done a pretty good job over the last few years. They will also sign the best players available to them.

All you guys calling for Jake's head, think bigger. Lordo is obviously going to go elsewhere. Might be this year or next. What better person to come in and literally just continue what Lordo has started. He loves the club, he loves the city.

Give it 5 years and you could all be moaning that Jake is leaving. With the organisation in place I'd bet that 5 years after that we'll be in the same place.