Cardiff Devils Confirmed Signings & Departures 2019/20

Are there actually people who don't want any of the current team back? Seems a bit daft considering recent successes. We definitely need to keep things fresh every off-season but re-signing players like Joey is a bold statement to the rest of the EIHL.

mjh

Awesome news. So good to have Mr GOAT back. He's such a cornerstone of the team whi gives his all every time he's on the ice. Excited to find out who's next!?

Temme

Martin holds the EIHL record for All star team appearance.

Needless to say he's made the 1st all star team every year he's been in the league.
in 2nd place is Hotham with 4 all star appearances :)

Delighted to have him back.

"“We are pleased to have him back and he is the first piece of the puzzle in place for us to start building another championship team.” " - Andrew Lord.

Is this confirmation Lord is returning?

Wagstaff

Great signing for you but.......
Is he really the GOAT? The greatest hockey player of all time?
Is he even the best our league has ever seen?
Is he actually the Best Devil ever?
Or is he the BDAATM (Best Devil around at the moment)?
In my other sport Valentino Rossi was the original GOAT and will be for a long time to come and that is on a world stage, in hockey terms I dont think he mirrors Valentino!

jenks33

Great signing for you but.......
Is he really the GOAT? The greatest hockey player of all time?
Is he even the best our league has ever seen?
Is he actually the Best Devil ever?
Or is he the BDAATM (Best Devil around at the moment)?
In my other sport Valentino Rossi was the original GOAT and will be for a long time to come and that is on a world stage, in hockey terms I dont think he mirrors Valentino!
Yep up there with Gretzky for me....
No in all seriousness in my opinion he’s the best we’ve seen in the EIHL but I would say that. I’m sure Blaze fans will say Calder and Steelers fans will say Roy etc etc.
As far as the best devil of all time I’ve gone on record to say he is now for me. Up until about 18 months ago I’d have a few ex devils ahead of Joey but he’s surpassed them. What I would say tho is I do think the old Superleague days are more than comparable to today’s EIHL . Matulik, Thornton, Moria, Sacratini would be top players if they were around now. Lawless and Mcewan would be right up there as well but I started following the devils on a regular basis in 96 so It’s tough for me to judge those two. I saw Mcewan but he was coming towards the end of his career. It’s a tough one as well because I think it’s fair to say that British ice hockey wasn’t at its strongest between 1986 and 1995. Same the first 10 years of the EIHL. I’m sure players like Pelle, Matzka, Weller, Faulkner would be top players in any era but the standard of the EIHL in their day was pretty average

Kevlar68

You can never compare really through the years due to the game changing so much.
In this era its more about skill and speed, in years gone by the players were all more physical throughout the team.
Would Mike Ware cope with the speed and skill of players these days?
Would Joey Martin cope with physicality of the whole team back in the day?
Who knows.

Diablo3

I'm with you Jenks, the standard keeps getting better and he is still the first player any team in this league would want to sign, just ask Omar Pacha :)

Last edited:

Rob Batch

#88 Top class in every respect. Long has made a huge mistake if the giants rumours are true. Steelers and Panthers are going insane. Hahahahaha it's already a great off season.

jimmy snels

i will say here im sure weller was the best player to wear our shirt EIHL era. he was litrally head and shoulders above everyone and his influence huge. longevity wise martin has as lordo says improved every year and been arguably our best player 5 years in the trot. plays unbelievable minutes, pk, pp, 1st line.... he's a beast!!!