Cardiff Devils Confirmed Signings & Departures 2018/19

bb1

Towards the end Paris was actually a spare when Louis came back from injury. Our spare is going to be a forward this season according to Steve.

Ocko

What if Blood is actually Paris’ replacement. Does that change anyone’s interpretation of the quality of this signing.
That would mean we are either running with a spare D or we are replacing Hotham and Strachan with the same player, which considering they are complete opposites would be difficult.

jenks33

In my opinion the two signings announced last night pretty much confirm that Strachan won’t be back. Steve’s mentioned that we’re going with 6 D Men so there’s one more to announce. Surely the last defenceman will be more of an attacking d man. A defence of Strachs, blood, Louis, Reddick, Richie, Fournier just won’t generate enough points in my opinion. I think our last d man will be new to the league with an impressive points per game record in the AHL. That’s my guess anyway

Mooney#16

Just saying it’s a big assumption. I see five guys going in Paris, Crowder, Asselin, Hotham and Strachan. So far we’ve signed two in Hedden and Blood. As long as the sum total of the five replacements is more than the sum lose what’s the need to be comparing individuals.

Reddick and Louis can both take a shift up front and Batch can at the back. It’s a good thing to have a versatility that can cover eventualities through the season. Pigeon holing guys and comparing when they haven’t even put a skate blade on the ice is a) uninformed opinion and b) unfair to the guy .

I am utterly astounded that quacking ducks on this forum are turning their noses up at a guy who has played 3 consecutive seasons in the Liiga...

I'm sure some here would love to see the likes of Jay Rosehill and Zack Fitzgerald taking up every single roster spot, but Blood has vast experience of playing against European teams FAR above and beyond in terms of speed and skill than what we see in the EIHL. You don't think that experience on D will be invaluable in the CHL and the league?

I don't like to think of it in terms of players replacing other players because each yeah the team evolves and the dynamic changes, but I think Blood will be much more effective than Strachan would have been for us in the CHL, as that is the type of game he is used to. But also, he will add to what is already a lightning quick D corps in Cardiff.

Some folk here need to take a cold shower and descend from above their stations.

Sent from my STF-L09 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Wannabe2

Devils fans are really going to take this guy to heart, Blood is without a doubt going to be a fans favourite, big, tough, skilful, good skater. Blood is going to Bleed Red of that I am certain, and I for one can’t wait to see this guy here, Lordo has unearthed another Gemstone, 3 more beauties to come. What a time to be a Devils fan, 8 months of xmas’s coming up folks.
HAPPY HOCKEY DAYS

osh

I am utterly astounded that quacking ducks on this forum are turning their noses up at a guy who has played 3 consecutive seasons in the Liiga...

I'm sure some here would love to see the likes of Jay Rosehill and Zack Fitzgerald taking up every single roster spot, but Blood has vast experience of playing against European teams FAR above and beyond in terms of speed and skill than what we see in the EIHL. You don't think that experience on D will be invaluable in the CHL and the league?

I don't like to think of it in terms of players replacing other players because each yeah the team evolves and the dynamic changes, but I think Blood will be much more effective than Strachan would have been for us in the CHL, as that is the type of game he is used to. But also, he will add to what is already a lightning quick D corps in Cardiff.

Some folk here need to take a cold shower and descend from above their stations.

Sent from my STF-L09 using Tapatalk
Quacking ducks because we have different views ! How very adult. Can’t see any posts that turn their noses up at this signing, only posts that are comparing him to a previous player and having actually seen him play a few times, I don’t particularly see him as an upgrade to Strachan as a defensive D man. Lord will have a role for him for sure and that’s good enough for me. Do I hope he is a success, of course I do. I also hope our remaining signings are upgrades on those who aren’t returning and who did great job for us last season.

ASHIPP

Wow a player with vast experience, knowledge of the European style, from a championship winning team, tough, with speed, a big body, menacing style who can make an impact.....sounds like a great signing to me. The sort of player other teams would be very happy with.

Welcome to Cardiff, Ben. Hope you enjoy your stay!

Maybe wrong but I noticed blood will be wearing number 77, usually wears 24 though? Anyone think Hotham had a change of heart? Just found it strange why he wouldn't wear his usual 24.

august04

What if Blood is actually Paris’ replacement. Does that change anyone’s interpretation of the quality of this signing.
Steve King said we’re going with a spare forward. If Blood is a replacement for Paris, this means our D will be Hotham replacement, Strachan replacement, Richardson, Louis, Fournier, Blood, Reddick. If Blood is Paris’ replacement, then we still have to replace Strachan and Hotham with two top signings to be announced, that means we’re going with 7 D - or that one of these guys could find a role as a utility player, able to play F or D or as the spare. I hope that’s not Louis as I don’t buy this power forward role for him after last season. He needs to play on D with Fournier for me. How would people feel if Reddick is that utility player able to cover F and D as required, or when there’s injuries/loss of form/spare? I’d be happy with that (although I suspect many on here wouldn’t!) and I think our overall D unit could then be stronger than last year, if the remaining 2 signings are good ones.

Last edited: