Cardiff Devils Confirmed Signings & Departures 2017/18

Chris

Administrator
Thread starter #1

As we are now officially in the off season.. here we go with the Devils Confirmed signings and departures thread 2016/17 season.

Key words "Confirmed"; "signings" and "departures" - if its not one of those.. it doesn't live here.

Confirmed signings only here so no "heard it from a mate who knows a guys who's sister said" stuff, please post that stuff HERE

For signings for all the other teams, use the thread HERE

Coaching Staff
Andrew Lord - Head Coach - Devils Website
Jamie Elson - Assistant Coach - Devils Website

Netminders
Ben Bowns (B) - Re-signed - Devils Website
Tom Murdy (B) - Re-signed - Devils Website

Defence
Mark Richardson (B) - Re-signed - Devils Website
Callum Buglass (B) - 2 Way with Cardiff Fire (NIHL) - Devils Website
Gleason Fournier (I) - Re-signed - Devils Website
Drew Paris (I) - From Dornbirner EC (EBEL) - Devils Website
Mark Louis (I) - Re-signed - Devils Website
Bryce Reddick (I) - From Aalborg Pirates (Denmark) - Devils Website
Andrew Hotham (I) - Re-signed - Devils Website

Forwards
Matt Myers (B) - Re-signed - Devils Website
Craig Moore (B) - From Dundee Stars (EIHL) - Devils Website
Josh Batch (B) - Re-signed - Devils Website
Luke Piggott (B) - Re-signed - Devils Website
Toms Rutkis (B) - 2 Way with Swindon Wildcats (NIHL) - Devils Website
Andrew Lord (I) - Re-signed - Devils Website
Joey Martin (I) - Re-signed - Devils Website
Joey Haddad (I) - Re-signed - Devils Website
Sean Bentivoglio (I) - Re-signed - Devils Website
Justin Faryna (I) - From Dundee Stars (EIHL) - Devils Website
Jake Morissette (I) - Re-signed - Devils Website
Layne Ulmer (I) - Re-signed - Devils Website
Matt Pope (I) - From Tohoku Free Blades (Asia League) - Devils Website
Patrick Asselin (I) - Re-signed - Devils Website
Paul Crowder (I) - From Fort Wayne Komets (ECHL) - Devils Website

Departures
Guillaume Doucet (I) - To Milton Keynes (EIHL) - Lightning Website
Chris Culligan (I) - Retired - Devils Website
Denny Kearney (I) - To Milton Keynes (EIHL) - Lightning Website
David Brine (I) - To Medvescak Zagreb (EBEL) - Zagreb Website
Chris Jones (B) - To Swindon Wildcats (NIHL) - Wildcats Website
Patrick Bordeleau (I) - ... - ...
Scott Hotham (I) - ... - ...

(B) - Brit
(I) - Import

Last edited:

Gaz G

Excellent news and testament to how far the club have come that he didn't appear to even consider going anywhere else.

osh

Delighted to see the announcement that probably the best all round player in the league decides to stay with us for another season.
What does surprise me however is that this announcement has received so little response from our fan base !!

Johnnybravo1927

Delighted to see the announcement that probably the best all round player in the league decides to stay with us for another season.
What does surprise me however is that

this announcement has received so little response from our fan base !!

I think thats because everyone expected it anyway. Last 2 seasons announced first and the darling of the fans and he is very happy where he is. I wouldnt be surprised if he is on a multi year deal.

pjj365

Also think the drip drip of one signing a week gets boring. On thus basis we will have 19 signed by 12 August!

This off season is too short (in this sense only) this year

This approach is no longer exciting. Fans want to see what the roster will look like in its totality.

Wannabe2

Also think the drip drip of one signing a week gets boring. On thus basis we will have 19 signed by 12 August!

This off season is too short (in this sense only) this year

This approach is no longer exciting. Fans want to see what the roster will look like in its totality.
Don't agree myself, I still think good things are worth waiting for, and for the last few seasons that has truly been the case. All teams play a little cat and mouse with each other, bit of gamesmanship and also sometimes it takes time to make sure you get exactly the right fit for your team. At one time in Cardiff announcements would be early to attract season ticket buyers, fortunately now that isn't the case, the incredible job our Owners, Managment, and Coaching staff have done to take this club to another level, means that we flock to renew the best sporting ticket in our City, and long may that continue. The announcment of Joey Martin says a thousand words about this special club, it says check this out guys, if this phenomenal player can't wait to return, how many others players are queuing for a piece of the action. A truly professional organisation will take its time, we want great players, and great players won't a place where they can be happy and successful, and guess what, I love this bit, that place is Cardiff. So for me releasing names of players will be worth waiting for, because I have 4 seats for the bestest sporting ticket in our beautiful city.
HAPPY HOCKEY DAYS.

Finny

I like the one signing a week. It keeps the interest going throughout the summer and is something to look forward.

Perhaps there has been a lack of excitement on here, but not on social media. In this day and age you don't need to post on a forum to say how happy you are a player has re-signed, you can tweet them directly.

Having Joey Martin back is brilliant. I know we get accused of going OTT on how good our players are, but it's impossible to do that with Joey. You get skillful players, you get hard working players, but it's rare you get someone who does both to such a high level.
It was a joy watching Joey in his first season with us and I was absolutely gobsmacked he returned instead of moving on to a top European league. I thought we might lose him last summer but hoped he might come back for unfinished business and he did.
He could easily have decided that this summer would be the ideal time to move on having won the treble, but he's quickly decided he wants to stay.

And that's the most exciting part of this re-signing. He hasnt signed because he wants to use it as a stepping stone to Europe. He hasn't signed because he wants to do a MBA for one year before retiring. He hasn't signed because it's late in the summer and options are low. He hasn't signed because he has unfinished business.

He's signed because he loves it in Cardiff and wants to play in Cardiff. If that's the mentality of someone like Joey Martin then we really do have a great future ahead of us.
Hopefully Joey continues to play for us for many seasons to come. And if he does I'd be very surprised if we don't see the C on his shirt at some point.

august04

Hopefully Joey continues to play for us for many seasons to come. And if he does I'd be very surprised if we don't see the C on his shirt at some point.
And his jersey hanging from the rafters too I hope in time. He's streets ahead of anyone else in this league. I'd pay money to watch his stick handling/puck control drills in warmup (seriously, if you haven't noticed before when he's on his own working with the puck, take a look next time)!

Ocko

Genuinely can't think of a more rounded player we've ever had than Joey Martin. He ticks every single box; goals, assists, works unbelievably hard, back checks, blocks shots, can play physical, fans adore him, humble, penalty kills, runs the powerplay, a leader, wins faceoffs, doesn't take stupid penalties, respected throughout the league.

He literally does everything, and I can't think of anyone else who has done that for us.