Cardiff Devils 2019/20.

Mooney#16

Thread starter #1
Just wanted to start a thread where we can actually appreciate what this team achieved this year as it looks like they won’t be crowned champions but should still take the applause and accolades of one.

They went further than ever before in the CHL with some stunning performances against top class opposition. They again went to the challenge cup final dominating Belfast along the way and getting past panthers. They end the season a top the league with the highest percentage. In short beyond winning the Challenge Cup they did all that was asked of them.

This team impressed me in a different way this year. They didn’t seem to benefit from natural chemistry and a few did struggle for form but it’s speaks volumes to their collective characters that they kept grinding and working to get to where they were. But when it did click this team was very very good.

Thanks to all the players and staff for their effort and determination this year. Sad how it ended but you finished the season on top of the league. Champions in all but title.

Wannabe2

When these lads played to their potential, they were a pure joy to watch and they certainly brought the punters in, and certainly helped with some of the best atmospheres this great club has ever had the pleasure to experience. A real lousy way to finish the season but safety is always paramount, a great shame that these lads won’t experience what they deserved, from me and my family thanks guys it’s been a roller coaster, but would we have it any other way. Just stay safe now, those returning home safe journey, to all you wonderful fans, let’s hope the close season goes fairly quick, and a huge thank you to everyone who helped match nights such a awesome experience, and finally thank you again for our amazing owners/fans. Getting a bit tearful now, but stay safe everyone, we will be back bigger and better than ever.
Happyish Hockey Days.

kettdevil1

My best guess was that we would win the league but maybe not the playoffs and for me, that would have been a very good season. At times this team has been as good as I have ever seen. Some of the CHL games contained hockey of a level that I have rarely seen and we can count ourselves a little unfortunate that we didn’t progress further.

I loved watching us on the road when it seemed as though the pressure lifted and we played some of our best hockey. One game in Nottingham stands out where we beat a Panthers team who played very well indeed. We were just better.

Several players had career years. Joey Haddad was exceptional throughout, Josh Batch stepped up a gear and I loved watching the evolution of Sam Jardine into one of the best D Men in the league. However, maybe the standout was the return of Evan Mosey, a joy to witness.

I have a feeling that there might be a little more movement amongst players this Summer as I wonder if a cycle is coming to a close and a new one is going to be beginning but to everyone connected to the Devils (and most of the fans ), thanks for all the 19/20 memories, it’s has been a blast. Hope you all stay safe and have a great Summer

kristian

Just think Mosey rehab was first class whoever was the brains behind that deserves all the plaudits. It was like he had never be injured. Just hope they all stay fit in off season. Batch, Myers Duggan all had great seasons all are like fine wines.

Could go and on but my thumbs will get sore.

jenks33

Whether you liked or disliked this years team one thing we should all agree on is we’re a mentally tough team under Lord. I look at this years roster and in my opinion it is full of players that have struggled or underachieved yet somehow we were top of the league and I think we would have gone onto win it. I do think Lordo is a bit too conservative at times but the saying “you don’t know what you’ve got until it’s gone” springs to mind when people question him. And I’ll admit I’ve occasionally questioned his decisions. I tend to agree with kettdevil1 that we might see more changes than usual this off season. This might be too early for some people but at the moment these are the players that I’d like to see back next season. Once the dust has settled though I might change my mind on one or two.
Bowns - Although a part of me feels he’s crying out for a new challenge in a different league.

Fournier
Richardson
Jardine

Martin
Haddad
Dixon
Riley
Mcnamee
Mosey
Duggan
Myers
Batch

CaldicotDevil

Whether you liked or disliked this years team one thing we should all agree on is we’re a mentally tough team under Lord. I look at this years roster and in my opinion it is full of players that have struggled or underachieved yet somehow we were top of the league and I think we would have gone onto win it. I do think Lordo is a bit too conservative at times but the saying “you don’t know what you’ve got until it’s gone” springs to mind when people question him. And I’ll admit I’ve occasionally questioned his decisions. I tend to agree with kettdevil1 that we might see more changes than usual this off season. This might be too early for some people but at the moment these are the players that I’d like to see back next season. Once the dust has settled though I might change my mind on one or two.
Bowns - Although a part of me feels he’s crying out for a new challenge in a different league.

Fournier
Richardson
Jardine

Martin
Haddad
Dixon
Riley
Mcnamee
Mosey
Duggan
Myers
Batch
Agree with most of this list

We need to keep Bownsy with the new import rule next year but we need to have a system where he's rotated amd kept fresh. He just looks burnt out, so this long hockey break might do him the world of good. If we lose Bownsy, we need to spemd some money and sign a high end Brit. Maybe Ferrara or Perlini.

I'd keep Big Lou however I think he'll go. He's been made the scapegoat for his D pairing conceding some goals but the reality is you could pair Tyson Strachan with McMonagle and you'd still leak goals. Mcmonagle is our 5th highest point scorer but got the worst +/- in our team. Imho Mcmonagle signing was on par with Paris, rare mistake by Lordo. Big Lou offers a lot of toughness and he's a decent players. I wouldn't want to lose him and then see Riley a first liner being the go to tough guy.

I'd like to see a more natural goal scoring centre but wouldn't want to lose; Martin, Dixon or McNamee.

Jardines a must. Grown so much as a player since Morrisonn signed and now I'd take him over Morrisonn every day of the week.

jenks33

Agree with most of this list

We need to keep Bownsy with the new import rule next year but we need to have a system where he's rotated amd kept fresh. He just looks burnt out, so this long hockey break might do him the world of good. If we lose Bownsy, we need to spemd some money and sign a high end Brit. Maybe Ferrara or Perlini.

I'd keep Big Lou however I think he'll go. He's been made the scapegoat for his D pairing conceding some goals but the reality is you could pair Tyson Strachan with McMonagle and you'd still leak goals. Mcmonagle is our 5th highest point scorer but got the worst +/- in our team. Imho Mcmonagle signing was on par with Paris, rare mistake by Lordo. Big Lou offers a lot of toughness and he's a decent players. I wouldn't want to lose him and then see Riley a first liner being the go to tough guy.

I'd like to see a more natural goal scoring centre but wouldn't want to lose; Martin, Dixon or McNamee.

Jardines a must. Grown so much as a player since Morrisonn signed and now I'd take him over Morrisonn every day of the week.
I’d love us to get Ferrara but I think he might stay in Coventry. He won’t get as much ice time with Us, Sheff, Notts or Bel and he probably enjoyed this past season with Coventry, they had their best team for years.
Mcmonagle has to go for me. Brilliant at penalty shots and showed some great vision on the PP. I’m sorry the guy was a huge liability defensively though. He’s a forward that moved to defence earlier in his career and that’s no surprise. To me he looks like a forward that’s been asked to help out on D, he just doesn’t have defensive instincts.
I suspect a lot of fans will want to see the back of Riley but I’d like him to stay. He’s a leader and I bet he’s great in the dressing room. I don’t think he ever fully recovered from that injury he picked up earlier in the season. Same goes for Mcnamee, he didn’t seem the same player after his injury. They weren’t long injuries but both players may have just played injured for most of the season.

moggy#9

I have my ideas about import departures, but I feel it too early to explore them on here. What I will say is this is a summer where we need to start continuity planning - particularly for Brits (I hope all the current group are back) who might choose to retire before very long. Batch has proven his worth and will step up even further when Myers retires. Duggan is also looking brilliant. My big concerns are for when bownsy (if he goes to another league) and Richardson go. We need another quality british defenceman. The import changes next season will focus minds. If we're in CHL next season it'd be nice to be able to roll 4 complete lines.

voth26

Fournier
Richardson
Jardine

Martin
Haddad
Dixon
Riley
Mcnamee
Mosey
Duggan
Myers
Batch
I agree but personally I would add Louis, and Majamaki to your list

jimmy snels

personally id get a high end import net minder and sign ferrera from Coventry. give him top 2 lines. i mean benti or linglet couldnt hit a cows arse with a banjo and played top 2 all year so why couldnt he! Bowns for me is a good net minder, but he doesnt win us big games. I look on envious at some of the opposition net minders at times. Appreciate its not popular opinion but its mine!

id release mcmonagle (we would be nuts to do that again), reddick (not good enough D or forward. was our 8th choice Dman imho!), Linglet (laziest player since jeff pierce, half the results), Benti (loyal servant but dont do a morrisette and flog it on a year too long again) and id be ok with pope going who although started well couldnt sustain it again and dropped right off and at 36 he's not going to get better.
dixon and masi look fit so age doesnt worry me as much with them.

voth26

I’d love us to get Ferrara but I think he might stay in Coventry. He won’t get as much ice time with Us, Sheff, Notts or Bel and he probably enjoyed this past season with Coventry, they had their best team for years.
Mcmonagle has to go for me. Brilliant at penalty shots and showed some great vision on the PP. I’m sorry the guy was a huge liability defensively though. He’s a forward that moved to defence earlier in his career and that’s no surprise. To me he looks like a forward that’s been asked to help out on D, he just doesn’t have defensive instincts.
I suspect a lot of fans will want to see the back of Riley but I’d like him to stay. He’s a leader and I bet he’s great in the dressing room. I don’t think he ever fully recovered from that injury he picked up earlier in the season. Same goes for Mcnamee, he didn’t seem the same player after his injury. They weren’t long injuries but both players may have just played injured for most of the season.
I would have Riley and Mcnamee back no question, both gritty players who have an eye for goal and good both ends of the ice, obvious opinions will vary

voth26

personally id get a high end import net minder and sign ferrera from Coventry. give him top 2 lines. i mean benti or linglet couldnt hit a cows arse with a banjo and played top 2 all year so why couldnt he! Bowns for me is a good net minder, but he doesnt win us big games. I look on envious at some of the opposition net minders at times. Appreciate its not popular opinion but its mine!

id release mcmonagle (we would be nuts to do that again), reddick (not good enough D or forward. was our 8th choice Dman imho!), Linglet (laziest player since jeff pierce, half the results), Benti (loyal servant but dont do a morrisette and flog it on a year too long again) and id be ok with pope going who although started well couldnt sustain it again and dropped right off and at 36 he's not going to get better.
dixon and masi look fit so age doesnt worry me as much with them.
Who do you think was the best import nettie this season and why, id would take Dixon and Masi back no problem

jenks33

Who do you think was the best import nettie this season and why, id would take Dixon and Masi back no problem
I wouldn’t be totally against Marjamaki coming back as he did improve after Christmas. I just think there was a huge lack of urgency to his game for the first 3 or 4 months. Also if you compare him to similar players to him that played for our rivals - Eberle, Farnham then I think they had more of an impact than Marjamaki. In an ideal world I’d like us to go for an Eberle type, so a young North American that’s similar to Faryna in style.
I’ll tell you my big issue with Marjamaki. And I appreciate some people will say I’m talking rubbish here. I remember his interview at the start of the season and it was obvious that he was surprised with the league title being the major trophy. And I feel that was clear in the way he played. He didn’t really show up for the first few months but after Christmas when it started getting serious he pulled his socks up. Now in a league where the league is the main trophy I want players that adapt quicker and realise that they need to show up most nights.

ASHIPP

Hopefully 3 things this offseason

1. Succession planning/development of younger British players. Planning for the longterm might mean bringing in one or two more. A couple of our older British players maybe considering retirement in the next few seasons.

Think it's pipe dreams to imagine Ferrara or Perlini would join the Devils. Both have had good seasons and are probably happy where they are. Think our next British players will join us via another route.

2. The Goalie situation. Someone to share the load with Bownsey.... either a backup who Lord will trust to play and give Ben a rest from his pressurised schedule. Or a tandem to challenge for the starter spot (very unlikely)

3.Learn lessons from the weaknesses/mistakes from this season.
At times the Team had many playmakers but few natural goalscorers/snipers.
At other times our defence was too offensive...... caught out of position and giving up odd man rushes. Apart from Louis, no real solid blue liner.

There are players who are or should be part of the untouchable core.... if the Club can hang on to them. New players hopefully will be upgrades on some of the other players.

Depends on so many factors. Next season's roster could be very different!

Last edited:

CaldicotDevil

I wouldn’t be totally against Marjamaki coming back as he did improve after Christmas. I just think there was a huge lack of urgency to his game for the first 3 or 4 months. Also if you compare him to similar players to him that played for our rivals - Eberle, Farnham then I think they had more of an impact than Marjamaki. In an ideal world I’d like us to go for an Eberle type, so a young North American that’s similar to Faryna in style.
I’ll tell you my big issue with Marjamaki. And I appreciate some people will say I’m talking rubbish here. I remember his interview at the start of the season and it was obvious that he was surprised with the league title being the major trophy. And I feel that was clear in the way he played. He didn’t really show up for the first few months but after Christmas when it started getting serious he pulled his socks up. Now in a league where the league is the main trophy I want players that adapt quicker and realise that they need to show up most nights.
Hope Masi stays, seems like a Lordo style player. So hopefully we can keep him.

Would love Eberle as a Devil but think he will be back at the steelers. If they want him we'd struggle to compete.

Always liked Bloodoff, defensively he's weak but he's so creative. Every line he's in always seems to produce a lot of points. Think at times this year we've that creavite spark.

Would love Dufour from Dundee can see an Arena team taking him. Would also really like Marquardt. I know it didn't really click in Sheffield for him. I know he doesnt fight that much but he could play that physical Faryna style role.

Mazzoak

There is now plenty of time to arrange, plan and recruit a team capable of living up to their CV’s. I’m not going to name players, for me the list of leavers would be larger than those remaining.

I’m pretty sure most of the current squad will remain, why would the organisation change a championship winning team that’s popular with fans.........

moggy#9

As far as Brits go, the names that occur to me are Jones from Fife, Lewis from his team in Germany and possibly whistle. I think that the established players will be to difficult to attract.

ASHIPP

Owen Griffiths from Guildford also. But players happy at clubs are less likely to leave. He had a lot of ice time at the Flames.

jimmy snels

motte was the best i seen. he made some ridiculous saves. he won them games as recognised by their coach and fans on social media. he moved quickly and made huge back to back saves against us numerous times. ones i know i havent seen since Osaer was in net for us.
Carr was good. looked big in the net to me but moved his glove hand very quickly.

As i alluded to not being hard on Ben here. I shouted his name and got behind him. I just feel we should go import nettie and goal scoring Brit. long term with myers getting older this might be a better long term plan as well.

moggy#9

motte was the best i seen. he made some ridiculous saves. he won them games as recognised by their coach and fans on social media. he moved quickly and made huge back to back saves against us numerous times. ones i know i havent seen since Osaer was in net for us.
Carr was good. looked big in the net to me but moved his glove hand very quickly.

As i alluded to not being hard on Ben here. I shouted his name and got behind him. I just feel we should go import nettie and goal scoring Brit. long term with myers getting older this might be a better long term plan as well.
From what I saw of Carr his rebound control seemed questionable at times. Motte looked excellent. I felt Owens was over rated.