Cardiff bay arena

moggy#9

Thread starter #3
Hmm, let me see, there the future Inn, various other hotels around the city and, no doubt, the additional ones that will undoubtedly be built to service the new demand.

pjj365

To make it work they have to get BA pension fund on board- they own Red Dragon centre + car parks + freehold of the Travelodge

I doubt that will be cheap or quick

pjj365

If it gets built it will be10th in size in the UK

Manchester (21k) London O2 (20k) and Earls Court (19k)
Then heading to nearer capacity
Nottingham (17k)
Birmingham x 2 and Aberdeen (all at 16k)
It will be marginally bigger than Leeds, Sheffield, and Glasgow (all at 14k)
And only slightly bigger than Belfast (11K)

Given most catchment areas and city size of all the existing arenas looks like the council is once again delusional BUT they do have bids on the table involving private money - I wonder how much council money is incentivising this.

Also, if as has been rumoured the Motorpoint goes we lose a mid sized arena which all the listed cities have at least 1 of.

Will it happen - maybe if they have learnt from the city centre transport hub debacle - but when is a different issue

Wannabe2

The original artists impression of the bay showed a ski dome plus a multi storey car park, so it dont mean zilch.Our Council also told us the bbt was our home for between 3-5 yrs, which turned into 10yrs. They truly are crap.

Ocko

Crap they may be but things like this they usually deliver on. Clearly they didn’t care about the rink/Devils/other ice users. But that was a couple of thousand people at the most at the time. This new arena presents a much bigger opportunity than the rink, ski done etc ever would. The council’s record on delivery of things that look good on them or bring them something isn’t actually all that bad.

I’m sure that the owners and management will be looking with interest how this develops in the coming years as we’ve pretty much already hit the ceiling of IAW without the club really trying.

moggy#9

Thread starter #12
Crap they may be but things like this they usually deliver on. Clearly they didn’t care about the rink/Devils/other ice users. But that was a couple of thousand people at the most at the time. This new arena presents a much bigger opportunity than the rink, ski done etc ever would. The council’s record on delivery of things that look good on them or bring them something isn’t actually all that bad.

I’m sure that the owners and management will be looking with interest how this develops in the coming years as we’ve pretty much already hit the ceiling of IAW without the club really trying.
I think that the key difference with the arena is it's seen as a key revenue generator for the city as a whole in a way that the viola isn't. Not having a decent sized arena means Cardiff misses out on conferences and big events. Given Bristol's lack of such a facility the coverage area would likely be the whole of South Wales and the South West. I wonder whether this is something the club has had its eye on for some time as the next piece of growth.

moggy#9

Thread starter #13
The original artists impression of the bay showed a ski dome plus a multi storey car park, so it dont mean zilch.Our Council also told us the bbt was our home for between 3-5 yrs, which turned into 10yrs. They truly are crap.
That was speculative as the funding model was questionable from the start. The arena project seems much more like at David's centre 2 in priority.

Mazzoak

I wouldn’t totally dismiss the plans, l wouldn’t totally dismiss the existence of Extraterrestrial Terrestrial Life Forms either.
One issue is the Motorpoint, it’s on prime land, look what happened to the WNIR. That’s right, it was on prime land, to be able to justify screwing people over Goodwin likes to offer 3 phase developments on an alternative site. Now we look how that’s turned out.
In the article it states “A precise funding model for the project has yet to be confirmed”. Cardiff Councillors also like to show developments between elections, makes them feel confident.
The ICC will mop up all the smaller stuff that the Viola was hoping to attract, Cardiff will need something to replace the Motopoint. I’d bet it’ll be only phase 1 and like the Viola and surrounding phases will either never happen or be a poorer compromise.

Its ok though, it’s all Westminster & the Conservatives fault...........

moggy#9

Thread starter #15
Wales Online: Massive 15,000 seater indoor arena in Cardiff Bay planned for 2023.
https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/cardiff-bay-arena-red-dragon-17418691
Another step forward in this. One thing that confuses me though is capacity. The motorpoint is said to be 7.5k, but it never seemed anything like that to me (mind you I've not been there for over 10 years). If they're using the same measures, I wonder what the capacity would be with an ice pad.

Wannabe2

The sale of the land in the City Centre would be enormous,maybe Motorpoint themselves would fund the building. Can’t see there being a ice pad in it in a million years, although Motorpoint has Panthers, Steelers in their buildings. Think the council will want the Devils to stay in the so called Sports Village.

moggy#9

Thread starter #18
The sale of the land in the City Centre would be enormous,maybe Motorpoint themselves would fund the building. Can’t see there being a ice pad in it in a million years, although Motorpoint has Panthers, Steelers in their buildings. Think the council will want the Devils to stay in the so called Sports Village.
Well, when the initial sketches were in Wales online, they clearly showed an ice pad. This is what piqued my interest. The thing about the sports village is that the latest plans for it severely compromised that idea. If the council gets its way parking around the rink will become nigh on impossible. No doubt they'll expect everyone to cycle in. I suspect that there'll be some discussions over what facilities will be in the final design.

Gazza272

I'm sure provisions will be made for Disney on Ice, Dancing on ice shows in the new arena. But more than likely no permanent ice pad there.

Wannabe2

Big problems with a ice pad at this gaff, where does the team train, where do public skating go, the ice skaters, junior teams, all the folks that helped getting our gaff built, Nottingham has 2 pads, Steelers have Ice Sheffield, would our place be profitable without the Devils, myself just my own view it won’t happen.