Cardiff Bay “Masterplan” including a 15,000 seater arena!

Hedd Wyn John

Belfast population 280,000, average Giants attendance 4,500.
Cardiff population 478,000ish (as posted above), average attendance 2,800/2,900.
Smaller cities can draw the crowds if the facilities are right, Devils have great potential to increase our following with good marketing and a larger venue.
Belfast has a population of 343,000 if Wikipedia is to believed and a metropolitan area of 631,000 so comparable to if not bigger than Cardiff. I'd also argue that Belfast in terms of hockey has an advantage in that it lacks a major football team. They've got nothing comparable to Cardiff City & I think that alone helps exposure & drawing crowds hockey.

osh

Belfast has a population of 343,000 if Wikipedia is to believed and a metropolitan area of 631,000 so comparable to if not bigger than Cardiff. I'd also argue that Belfast in terms of hockey has an advantage in that it lacks a major football team. They've got nothing comparable to Cardiff City & I think that alone helps exposure & drawing crowds hockey.
Regarding your comment ‘nothing comparable to Cardiff City’..mm rugby and Gaelic football are comparable and draw good crowds lets not forget.

osh

Easy to underestimate the strength and popularity of Gaelic sports in Ireland. I think there are more than 10 stadiums that can hold more than 25000 fans and the biggest of all Croke Park more than 85000 I think. In fact, when Ireland touted to hold the rugby World Cup there, they had permission from the GAA to use some of their stadiums.