Caps v Steelers

Wannabe2

Thread starter #5
David Matsos described the Steelers 6-2 loss to the Edinburgh Capitals as the worst display of defensive hockey he has ever seen, he says its obvious that the players have given him no option but to make further changes in the squad

"We preach defensive hockey here in Sheffield, we know better than anyone that defence wins, we have players here that have played this way for years yet it is they who are letting the side down right now. Without a doubt tonight was the worst display of defensive hockey I have seen" said Matsos

"We know how to win, how to lock teams down and grind out wins, that’s Steelers hockey, however for some reason guys are doing their own thing

"If I still have a job on Thursday, and I expect to do so then the players better be prepared for a battering at practice on both Thursday and Friday because I have had enough, I'm the most patient coach in the league, the most patient coach these guys will ever play for but tonight that patience ended

"Coaches don't fire players, players fire players by not doing what the coach wants and asks for. These players are shooting themselves, there not giving me an option but to make more changes

"Its not like we are asking them to do something that beyond them. I'm asking them to commit to Steelers hockey, which is simple. Look after the most important area of the ice, the defensive zone. All they have to do to please me is to commit to team defence, if they cant do that then pack your bags because your no good to me

"When the team defence breaks down we need a save and right now we are not getting that either.The fact is that there was only a handful of players who did their job well tonight, played hard in both ends of the rink, didnt turn pucks over and played the way I want them to, the rest of them should be walking home not catching the bus"

| Back

Surely with how offensive every other team has become this season, the steelers have to play some damn good defensive hockey in order to win games? Surely they'd be better off joining the pack and going offensive.

James

Administrator
Isn't all this 'Steelers hockey', defensive and grinding out wins, what is turning people away in droves anyway ?

nmase20 said:
Surely with how offensive every other team has become this season, the steelers have to play some damn good defensive hockey in order to win games? Surely they'd be better off joining the pack and going offensive.
Well that was the 'plan' according to Matsos in pre-season. And to be honest Legue, Talbot, Dowd, Sarich, Dagenais, Bolibruk, Basiuk and now Hubbauer, seems pretty offensive to me. Shame Cruikshank has scored 6 points in 15 games and has had less fights than Phillips, Hewitt, Hutchins, Sarich, Bolibruk, Basiuk and Dagenais. A big fat zero. Pun intended.

James said:
Isn't all this 'Steelers hockey', defensive and grinding out wins, what is turning people away in droves anyway ?
We can't win playing offensive hockey. We can't play defensive hockey, full stop. I wouldn't pay to watch a team that doesn't care and doesn't go down fighting. We have a serious lack of leadership and certain seasoned pro's don't seem to be grabbing a game by the scruff of it's neck and dragging the rest of the team with them! I imagine that's what happening with regards to fans this season. Plus I found out today that the two Canadian marketing fellas from last season are no longer with us. Clever strategy eh!

Reiter and Basiuk will be straight back in the team when they are fit. And hopefully the other import D that isn't gassed for Basiuk's return is gassed for another stay at homer. I hope they are a blummin' good leader to boot!!