Camera Flashes

Re: Where is Lucy Fur?

I know this is off topic but i'm hoping the moderators will give me a chance to reply to the several steward bashing posts in this thread,as i feel is only fair.

I am the head steward for the Devils and several people on here have taken the time to slate the job that the stewards do on matchnights. I feel that this criticism is unfair,as ALL the stewards are volunteers and they undertake the role purely as a means of helping the cardiff devils organisation,not for financial reward.
It has been mentioned that the stewards are given a free match ticket,but at least 5 of the stewards are current season ticket holders,and several are DCF officials,therefore the gain is absolutely nothing.
There are only a handful of stewards that don't fall into one of the aforementioned categories,and i'm willing to bet that they miss more than 30% of the game,in the interest of the fans safety. On saturday,i myself only saw 3 goals in the game,due to having other things to do.

It has been mentioned many times about the camera flashes going off during the game,but the stewards hands are pretty much tied with this. I have suggested to the club at least twice this season that maybe i should be radio linked to the DJ box,and the location of the flashes clearly pointed out to me so that it can be nipped in the bud sooner rather than later,but this has fallen on deaf ears. Without knowing the location of the flashes, its impossible to put a stop to it,simple really?

All i'm asking is that people recognise that the stewards are volunteers with very little or no gain,and are only acting within the parameters set out to us. We are not security and are doing the best we can with limited resources. I hope this clears a few things up and people may see things from a slightly different perspective? Thanks

James

Administrator
what I find so absurd is why people think a camera flash is needed and will make a difference at that distance in a lighted arena :shock:

Because their cameras are on automatic, and they don't know how to turn the flash off I guess.
Read the little book that came with it people!

You always see the same things at gigs or big events like the Olympics - dark stadiums and loads of little flashes as someone hopes it'll light up the stage for them from 1/2 a mile back :)

Sheincar said:
Nothing & in a way that's the point. From where I sit I can see 10 stewards & there must be another 4 or 5 on the players benches side- all on free tickets. From what I see they just watch the game. Those on stairs sometimes stop people going up when the game's on. No one tells people off for using flash - primarily I guess cos they're too busy watching their free game. Other volunteers have worked for free & missed parts of the game because they're working. Have you not noticed an increase in stewards this year & yet a lack of other volunteers?
My husband is a steward and pays for his season ticket and his misses the first period of every game !!!! I myself had to steward the Sheffield game recently due to there not being enough stewards, I still paid for my season ticket, missed 75% of the game due to people not being able to wait for that pint or hot dog until the period break, unsupervised children running around like headless chickens because their parents couldnt give a monkeys uncl because they were ok jack they watched their game. Its nice to know exactly what you think of the stewards, mind you anybody who could do a better job, then step up to the plate......please !

Russky

Buzzwagon I have sent you a pm as the issue I have with your post needs to be conducted privately, not in the full glare of all the forum, which is a point in itself!

Sheincar

Thread starter #29

Puckaholic said:
Sheincar said:
Nothing & in a way that's the point. From where I sit I can see 10 stewards & there must be another 4 or 5 on the players benches side- all on free tickets. From what I see they just watch the game. Those on stairs sometimes stop people going up when the game's on. No one tells people off for using flash - primarily I guess cos they're too busy watching their free game. Other volunteers have worked for free & missed parts of the game because they're working. Have you not noticed an increase in stewards this year & yet a lack of other volunteers?
My husband is a steward and pays for his season ticket and his misses the first period of every game !!!! I myself had to steward the Sheffield game recently due to there not being enough stewards, I still paid for my season ticket, missed 75% of the game due to people not being able to wait for that pint or hot dog until the period break, unsupervised children running around like headless chickens because their parents couldnt give a monkeys uncl because they were ok jack they watched their game. Its nice to know exactly what you think of the stewards, mind you anybody who could do a better job, then step up to the plate......please !
Sorry but I've done more than my fair share of volunteering in the past for no reward & even less thanks. I've had to turn up an hour before a game and ended up missing more than my fair share of goals.

Gaz G

No doubt being a dope here but,,,,other than people stood by the plexi glass, whats the big deal with a flash anyway? Can't see how someone sat 10 feet above the playing surface taking a picture with a flash could in anyway affect the players who are watching the puck, team mates, game, situation etc.

Please explain to me what the big deal is as again I'm watching the game so as a fan don't tend to notice someone 30 meters away taking a photo.

Russky

cardiffdevil said:
Okay I'm confused, is this thread about camera flashes, Lucy Fur or Stewards.

I've had a hard day at work and this is just giving me a head ache!

The lucy fur thread went down 2 different tangents so I think the mods separated off each tangent and gave it its opwn thread! Inevitbly there is some overlap with references to other posts present!