Cam Janssen

voth26

KaneDevils said:
I see opinions have altered slightly from when he initially signed. ;)[/quote

50/50 chance of that happening though. He showed two sides to himself on Sunday one being the vile thug that he is on the ice, the other when he showed respect and emoathy to Tyson at the handshakes

jimmy snels

Great signing by them. Not the most skilled but by god he puts in a shift! A real team man, cage rattler and a character the league needs

Devil94

Possibly not the right time to discuss this, as this season is not over yet, but for next year with the import limit rising, if we keep Bowns, do we think the 10th import forward be a similar character to Janssen/Fitzgerald? I think there's room for one but not sure Lordo will go down that route.

jimmy snels

I hope he does or those seats will be harder to fill. Its an entertainment buisness end of the day. Purists will follow regardless but its inevitable in my view new comers want a good old rough n tumble out there. Not fighting necessarily but a real good battle

Kal

We're probably never going to know but I hope the lack of physicality in the second half of the season was due to the big guys (Hendo and Salters etc) carrying injuries. I don't really care if we add a goon like Janssen and Fitzy, they are entertaining, but i'd also quite happily take someone like Herv who just hits everything :lol:

Koop11

My kind of player. Fast hard nosed winger who finishes his hits and makes defences’ nervous. Something we have lacked this season in my opinion.

Great for the league and Nottingham.

Temme

Players with the workrate, hitting ability and fighting ability & playing ability of Janssen are very hard to come across. The last I can remember was for us was Voth.

The likes of Lloyd, Salters, Hendrikx, Fitzgerald are easier to find than a Janssen, Michel, Keefe etc.

A very good signing by Nottingham & brilliant for the league in general.

Temme said:
Players with the workrate, hitting ability and fighting ability & playing ability of Janssen are very hard to come across. The last I can remember was for us was Voth.

The likes of Lloyd, Salters, Hendrikx, Fitzgerald are easier to find than a Janssen, Michel, Keefe etc.

Playing ability ? There is no doubting the guy is an influential figure but for a player who has played a role in the NHL and AHL his point production is still bad, NHL 336 GP TP 14, AHL 205 GP TP 19. He has hardly set the Elite League on fire either 62 GP TP 10. Now I'm not privy to what his salary is but I'd hazard a guess he is one, if not the top payed player at Panthers and I would want to see more for my money than those figures suggest he brings.

ASHIPP

The Panthers'fans love him, he plays will energy and passion....and is a great character in the lockerroom,apparently. But he isn't Brad Voth.

Devils do need to show that sort of terrifying aggression in their game. Hoping that the lack of it this season was purely down to injury and that it will be addressed.

fried egg said:
Temme said:

Playing ability ? There is no doubting the guy is an influential figure but for a player who has played a role in the NHL and AHL his point production is still bad, NHL 336 GP TP 14, AHL 205 GP TP 19. He has hardly set the Elite League on fire either 62 GP TP 10. Now I'm not privy to what his salary is but I'd hazard a guess he is one, if not the top payed player at Panthers and I would want to see more for my money than those figures suggest he brings.
Interesting post. I guess it comes down to how you judge the value of a player beyond the points they score for the team. The space he creates, the energy he brings, the tickets and jerseys he sells, and the influence he has over a game might be viewed as good value for money, even if he is well paid.

Compare him to Jeff Pierce (sp?) who played for the devils a few years ago. He wafted around at half speed, never back checked, but scored a load of points. I think I'd rather have a player who adds the intangible value of Janssen than a guy who, at the end of the season, looks great on paper.

Temme

fried egg said:
Temme said:

Yeah I agree, I thought his production was much better and didn't check until after I'd posted!

I suppose he's a carbon copy of Adam Keefe - arguably more expensive though.

Still the kind of player I hope we're looking for next year :)

Gospel

If you look at the Panties 4th line, Janssen, Farmer & Lawrence all of them like to be physical and that's exactly what they were with us in the CC final.

If we want to play a physical game, even on big ice which is still possible, we have to be looking at this type of player. The Panties have size, speed and skill in abundance this year.

At present we have Mo, Kurka & Russell who are all fast but none are physical players and whilst speed is good its not the be all and end all.

Good signing by Panthers. Although, I think we can get someone who is an even bigger character and can draw the same amount of fans in with the surname beginning with B, I think next year will be our lucky year in getting him back!

KaneDevils

voth26 said:
KaneDevils said:

50/50 chance of that happening though. He showed two sides to himself on Sunday one being the vile thug that he is on the ice, the other when he showed respect and emoathy to Tyson at the handshakes
Maybe a lesson to some to watch the player first and give him a chance before slating. When/why has he been a vile thug out of interest?

kettdevil1

KaneDevils said:
voth26 said:
KaneDevils said:

Maybe a lesson to some to watch the player first and give him a chance before slating. When/why has he been a vile thug out of interest?
I know that you are not referring to his career pre-EIHL but there was plentiful evidence Stateside of 'thuggish' behaviour including off the puck plays and very late hits.

I was not massively happy when he came into the league but in general he has been pretty decent in a defined role. He was superb in the Challenge Cup final, less effective other times I have seen him. For what it's worth, I am pleased he is sticking around, pleased Panthers fans are happy with this decision and pleased that we haven't signed him.