Buyback Scheme

nicky27

Thread starter #1
Can someone tell me why the club only pay back £5 if they buy back a ticket .
I presume it is then sold on for full cost. This doesn't seem very fair to me.

Because money talks. It's really disappointing as the Devils management put over the impression of how important they consider the fans to be and then offer a paltry £5 to buy a ticket from someone who has paid around £14 for it and then resell it for approx. £15 - the desired result being an extra £10 into the coffers. Actual result in most cases is an empty seat. I's a real pity when you see so many empty seats at a "sell out". Shows there are significant numbers of ST holders who do nothing with their ticket when they can't make a game. I also think there are probably a number of corporate tickets and complimentary tickets not used. Not sure if the published "attendance" is based on tickets sales or actual attendees. Anyone know the answer to this?

Kevlar68

I guess the buyback is a alternative. The ticket holder could either sell on themselves and get full value IF it sells or end up with nothing and lose value of ticket. The buy back scheme is definite cash for ticket holder but a gamble for devils box office as ticket may not sell.

nicky27

Thread starter #4
But the buyback scheme only comes into place when the game is sold out and there is a waiting list of people waiting for tickets. Surely the club are going to resell the ticket if this is the case.

Kevlar68

Outside gigs and sporting events you get people buying back tickets for less than face value but will sell on for even more than face value.
Its a case of walk around with a wasted ticket in your pocket or get some cash.
Its a convenience I guess.

Just set up a Facebook group that S.T. holders can put their tickets on for games they can't attend. If everyone agrees on a flat rate for each type of ticket ( adult, child, concession) and sticks to it, the ticket holder recoups an acceptable amount for their ticket, which in my opinion a fiver is not, the buyer gets a small discount on their ticket and there should be no mark-ups on tickets for the bigger games.
As an aside, can you imagine the slagging off other clubs, especially the scabby orange one, would get if they only offered a fiver? Especially if they also had the nerve to charge a booking fee on top of what they then charged for it.

nicky27

Thread starter #7
That's a really good idea. There are at least 2 games that I can't make coming up but I'm loathed to sell the ticket back to the club.

revilo

Not a ST holder so I am not sure, but isn’t one of the issues the fact that the ST does not have physical or print at home tickets? Not sure many holders would want to loan their lanyard thing to a stranger and deal with passing it on and getting it back!?

nicky27

Thread starter #9
I can understand your point but from my point of view my husband has gone to the games I can't make and, if I manage to sell my ticket privately, he has met the person outside and gone in with them.

James

Administrator
I’d guess the overhead of managing the scheme means that tickets resold make a lot less for the club than ones they can sell without the extra hassle. It’s a token amount yes but it’s still something and they don’t have to do anything.

Kevlar68

I myself prefer the option of getting some money back than nothing at all without the hassle of myself trying to find a buyer.
If you sell private a couple of days before match day you haven't got time for say a PayPal payment then postage so its a cash transaction.
Then you got the hassle of having to meet up somewhere and then what if the other party doesn't show up, your left with nothing. The part money buyback doesn't seem so bad then.
They don't have to offer the service at all really.

Last edited:

Have Hope#35

It's a great idea by the club which allows people to get money back for their tickets if they can't sell them on or don't want to hand out their Season Ticket Cards to a random (there's also the added issue of getting them to and from someone you don't know)! It's not a huge sum of money but no one is forced to do it... If you'd rather get nothing for it then that is your prerogative but there are fans out there desperately looking for a seat. It would appear that people are using the buy-back scheme so there's obviously a demand... I've also seen fans of other clubs praising this option on Twitter!

Last edited:

Earnie

The purpose of the exercise is surely to satisfy the customers who are looking for a seat. The £5 is neither here nor there for the Devils . It is an incentive to encourage STH to release a seat to help satisfy the demand.

Gazza272

So the club are getting criticised for offering £5 to people who can't make it to a game? Surely if you can't make it to a game you are losing the price of a full ticket if you just give it away? So I can't see why £5 is to be sniffed at?

As usual on this forum, many don't read the posts properly, or if they do, they don't understand them. I am not in any way saying the scheme should not operate. The Buy-Back scheme is really good, and was first operated at Cardiff City Stadium in the premiership year. Many of the processes operated at IAW are those that have been tried and tested at CCS on a much larger scale. My beef is the £5. I much prefer to see my ticket used than not but typically I will give it to someone who likes the hockey, but cant afford to go that often, and that I trust with my card, rather than get a measly fiver. Perhaps the club should explore alternative options if they really want someone to have the seat. I'd be happy to give it up on the pretence that if the seat was resold I would get a credit against next years ST, but for an amount more in line with the cost, so say £10. By now, I could have had around £70 towards next years ST - That would be great and would incentivise people to buy again next season.

Kevlar68

What if the Ticketing office decided not to buy back tickets at all? They don't have to, it's a service they decided to provide. Then what? You lose game ticket and get nothing back, is that better than a fiver?

Last edited:

kristian

How many other team would love to be having this kind of debate.

£5 back for a ticket you can not make the game to. Or you give it to a friend to go instead which i would think most do. No one is making you sell it back £5 is a gesture. Club are not going to give you full price incase ticket is not resold.

Hell outs what a lovely problem to have

What if the Ticketing office decided not to buy back tickets at all? They don't have to, it's a service they decided to provide. Then what? You lose game ticket and get nothing back, is that better than a fiver?
The club only buy back tickets for complete sell outs, between the 4 season tickets we have, we've missed 29 games, and sold back 4, not worked well this season.