British Lions

Rempel16

Thread starter #1
Anyone else following the Lions this summer. I have made a guess at the 15 for the 1st test and was wondering if other people have differing opinions.

Mine is full of Welsh and Irish players with just the 1 Englishman, though I would think that Euan Murray and Nathan Hines will warm the bench for the Scots representation.

15 Lee Byrne (wales)
14. Tommy Bowe (ireland)
13. Brian O'Driscoll (ireland)
12. Jamie Roberts (wales)
11. Gordon D'Arcy (ireland)
10. Stephen Jones (wales)
9. Mike Phillips (wales)

1. Gethin Jenkins (wales)
2. Lee Mears (england)
3. Adam Jones (wales)
4. Paul O'Connell (ireland)
5. Alun-Wyn Jones (wales)
6. Stephen Ferris (ireland)
7. Martyn Williams (wales)
8. Andy Powell (wales)

Replacements
Ronan O'Gara (ireland)
Harry Ellis (england)
Shane Williams (wales)
Nathan Hines (scotland)
Joe Worsley (england)
Matthew Rees (wales)
Euan Murray (scotland)

Rempel16

Thread starter #2
The toughest call will be Andrew Sheridan missing out. He has the raw power to match the Boks up front but Gethin has the complete all round game. Graham Rowntree might think that Sheridan could feasibly occupy the no.3 jersey though as Adam Jones is probably the position that is least nailed on at the moment.

Great thread; (Though it's the British and Irish lions Remps) :D

My prediction is;

15. Lee Byrne (Wales)
14. Tommy Bowe (Ireland)
13. BOD (Ireland)
12. Jamie Roberts (Wales)
11. Shane Williams (Wales)
10. Stephen Jones (Wales)
9. Mike Phillips (Wales)

1. Gethin Jenkins (Wales)
2. Lee Mears (england)
3. Phil Vickery (england)
4. Paul O'Connell (Ireland)
5. Alun Wyn Jones (Wales)
6. Tom Croft (england)
7. Martyn Williams (Wales)
8. Dennis Leamy (Ireland)

That's pretty close to what I would pick. I think Fitzgerald could come in on the wing for Shane, and it's a toss-up for me between Ferris (who I've been hugely impressed with) and Croft. Both terrific athletes. Also a toss-up between Adams Jones and Vickery. I think Vickery will get the edge for the first Test for the extra nastiness and I'if there's a figt in the early stages I'd expect to see Vickery involved.

For the bench;

Mike Blair (Ellis is too-slow to the breakdown)
Ronan O'Gara
Matthew Rees
Stephen Ferris
Nathan Hines (Superb line-uot jumper and will protect his team)
Euan Murray
Rob Kearney

Rempel16

Thread starter #5
Vickery is an interesting start choice. I guess it would be sensible to start the series with a meat head leading from the front!!

For the no.11 I would like to think that Shane can get the jersey, however I think that spot is still wide open. Williams has done very little so far, Monye was at fault for a try against the Lions (which S. Edwards won't have been happy with) and Halfpenny hasn't shown what he can do (yet).

This for me leaves a gap for D'Arcy to be the customary late addition that makes the biggest impact.

And I apologise, British and Irish Lions!!!

Rempel16

Thread starter #6
Well now that Stephen Ferris has been ruled out of the tour I am going to place Tom Croft in the no.6 jersey.

I can't see Ryan Jones getting a chance.

Rempel16 said:
Fair play Soundwave, your predicition was much closer than mine!!! I was way off the mark!!!
Well, not too bad considering we put the teams down before most of the warm up I think....looking back - not quite sure why I've goy Leamy at 8? He is of course not even on the tour! I did mean Heaslip, but I guess that's not gonna wash now. :lol:

The Boks team looks class and I don't see the Lions winning this one. Look at their bloody bench!

FYI The Springbok team for the first Test against the British & Irish Lions is (Test caps in brackets):
15. Frans Steyn (27)
14. JP Pietersen (24)
13. Adi Jacobs (21)
12. Jean de Villiers (46)
11. Bryan Habana (46)
10. Ruan Pienaar (27)
9. Fourie du Preez (43)
8. Pierre Spies (19)
7. Juan Smith (54)
6. Heinrich Brüssow (1)
5. Victor Matfield (80)
4. Bakkies Botha (55)