Bristol arena

terry hunt

Never mind Bristol the plan for a 3,500 arena in Swansea looks to go ahead.
When the Devils were struggling many years ago Swansea were interested in the Devils movind there.
They had a site ready for developement.The Devils fanbase would never support it so it fell through.
There are quite a few ice hockey fans down west.

When the Devils were struggling many years ago Swansea were interested in the Devils movind there.
They had a site ready for developement.The Devils fanbase would never support it so it fell through.
Where's this story from? Can't find anything online.

doron

i think the support for a team in Swansea would be very good. i don't read anywhere that it will have a ice facility though.? in this development. it would be nice to see it happen though.

moggy#9

Thread starter #9
This sounds very similar to what Cardiff has with the CIA, which I think for concerts has a similar capacity. A lot would hinge on the layout and the provision of ice plant. It also begs the question of where a team would practice without a purpose built rink there.

Samael

Swansea would damage Cardiff financially as l suspect a minority of current Devils fans would move their support to a new Swansea club. Can't see that happening with Bristol.

doron

Swansea would damage Cardiff financially as l suspect a minority of current Devils fans would move their support to a new Swansea club. Can't see that happening with Bristol.
i think in the short term maybe yes but in the long term no. i think the rivalry would be massive.
i want to see more teams in wales. at the end of the day its progression
it would also keep cardiff from being complacent

0_JS187961660.jpg https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/swansea-carmarthenshire-city-deal-arena-16587619
https://www.walesonline.co.uk/whats-on/whats-on-news/swansea-indoor-arena-news-council-17259055

Samael

Doesn't mention ice facilities on that wales online article, an article that is four years old with a recent amendment. Wishful thinking l think, by Swansea councillors and some posters here.

Wannabe2

In 2004 we we’re having a 5000 seater for the Devils, promised by the council I saw the plans John Lawless showed them to me. Good luck swansea.

matbur

I'm from Swansea and the 3,500 arena is definitely going ahead and work has already started on the site, but there won't be an ice-rink here. It wouldn't be cost effective and there wouldn't be enough interest to make a professional team remotely sustainable.

Another point, if fans are committed enough to drive to travel from Swansea to watch the Devils each week, then it's going to be unlikely they'll ditch that support on a whim in favour of a local team. Sure, they might go to some games if a Swansea team existed but they would still be Devils fans first and foremost. I know I would be, absolutely no doubt about it!