Blaze vs Devils - 6 Oct 19 - CC

Imp

They said on the webcast that Blaze are using the new goal pegs now, as you say they came off too easily before.
The pegs did look ”new“ - all shiny and freshly painted - but they are still the same ‘Normal Peg’ from this illustration. Even then, half the time, they weren’t getting them properly seated in the ice between periods.
5EF320B5-548B-4EFC-97B0-8F0FC934924F.jpeg

Rob Batch

Is there any pre-game 'quality control' on peg seating. We often see refs lifting the goal to check but never see them lifting the peg.

Imp

Is there any pre-game 'quality control' on peg seating. We often see refs lifting the goal to check but never see them lifting the peg.
Start of every period? Saw the refs check the goal and I guess the best I can say is that the reaction was, “It will have to do”. Clearly not ideal, but not worth further delay for (probably) no overall improvement.

Imp

On a different note: I do like the announcer/DJ at Coventry.

The theme from the Muppets, “It’s time to meet the Muppets”, as the visiting team comes on ice, is pretty funny even when you‘re team is the butt of the joke. :D

And, when reading the scores from around the league, “Panthers 3, Steelers 4, after a shootout, so expect a meltdown from Nottingham this evening”, was a nice swipe. :eek:

Wagstaff

I assume that there’s a technical reason for the goal mounts not being improved across the league, but the situation at Coventry Is hardly unique. The final disallowed goal seemed pretty harsh (and the earlier one - at the far end - was likely much the same), but more a failure of the equipment than the officials.
Not as a direct reply to your post but the ice pad at the sky dome wasn’t built as a top flight hockey pad, it was a part of what was supposed to be an event venue with an ice skating rink, so the design of the base under the ice didn’t include any net peg specs for the hockey it is now used for

Wagstaff

The pegs did look ”new“ - all shiny and freshly painted - but they are still the same ‘Normal Peg’ from this illustration. Even then, half the time, they weren’t getting them properly seated in the ice between periods.
View attachment 1141
I know that we tried marsh pegs and the staff had to redrill the holes at the start of some periods because they wouldn’t fit but something to do with sand below was a problem and they soon went back to the ones they were using before.

Imp

I know that we tried marsh pegs...
As you’re on hand with local knowledge, Why do Blaze attack (x2) the end with no seats behind the goal?
I’ve only been there twice, but at first glance your rink seems back to front. With the seating on only three sides, it would seem to make more sense for Blaze to attack the Papa John’s end.

Kevlar68

I know that we tried marsh pegs and the staff had to redrill the holes at the start of some periods because they wouldn’t fit but something to do with sand below was a problem and they soon went back to the ones they were using before.
Yeah when we used to reset the ice and add the logos in the WNIR the piping was covered with sand then wet, then the pipes would freeze the sand with water and we had to run up and down the rink over and over constantly for about 14 hours non stop in shifts with a fire hose until you build the layers then paint the logos on half way then finish off the top surface.
Then mark out the distance of the pegs so depending on how thick the ice is would depend on how far down you can drill.

Wagstaff

As you’re on hand with local knowledge, Why do Blaze attack (x2) the end with no seats behind the goal?
I’ve only been there twice, but at first glance your rink seems back to front. With the seating on only three sides, it would seem to make more sense for Blaze to attack the Papa John’s end.
I think it’s down to the location of the Blaze changing room, which is a better facility than the away team room, so it would mean crossing the centre line though the opposition half during the start of game intro, not 100% sure though.
You may remember that Block 8 used to be the away block, but they made that our “noisy block” when every game was filled with the “Brian Brian” drone from the away fans, so that they could be out sung when it started along with our amazing drummers :rolleyes: as they couldn’t change the ends to get Brian away from the visiting fans for 2 periods

KaneDevils

Not sure on the rules, whether or not that 1st goal being wiped was the right call. Right or wrong, to disallow that is lunacy. How do we know the goalie hasn't purposely kicked the net. Think robbed is the word.