Blaze Vs Devils - 31 Mar 19 - League .. decider?

I find it funny people saying that we bottled it and Belfast haven't. Of course to some extent it is very true but if we did pick up the point we needed yesterday no doubt Giants fans would be saying their team "bottled it" this season when they lost to one of the "bottom" teams, Manchester, a week or so ago. That was how close the season was this year.

Temme

I find it funny people saying that we bottled it and Belfast haven't. Of course to some extent it is very true but if we did pick up the point we needed yesterday no doubt Giants fans would be saying their team "bottled it" this season when they lost to one of the "bottom" teams, Manchester, a week or so ago. That was how close the season was this year.
We were 11 points ahead with 7 weeks to go. (apparently, i haven't fact checked that because i'm lazy on Mondays and miserable...)
We needed 3 points in 3 games against the teams 11th, 10th & 8th.
We bottled it, it was ours to lose.

A team that is chasing a leader is always going to chase, it is up to the leader to stay ahead, with the 2nd place team praying for a mistake that should never come. But it did.

If Belfast had lost the league due to that defeat then they wouldn't have known about it until yesterday (if we'd won), they wouldn't have known at the time of losing if that game was a factor or not.

Devils arrived to play a poor Coventry team last night knowing it was a factual all or nothing game and couldn't rise to the occasion.

It was a great EIHL campaign though, outside of the top 2 & bottom 1 all teams are extremely tight & what more could we ask for!

Gutted last night and still today. It didn't start very well with the people directly behind me in Block 7 kicking over a pint which spilled down my seat (wet rear for the whole game) onto the floor, wrecking my vape which was underneath my seat and trainers, as I had to sit in a pool of lager for the whole game. Thanks. I wasn't happy. These games do bring out the nuggets.

The game - Coventry REALLY wanted to spoil the party. They battled like their lives depended on it. And fair play to them. It was a physical game, made scrappy by Coventry's doggedness and really good stick play, clogging up the neutral zone. As soon as we put a couple of quick passes together, we sliced them open and Duggan scores. The rest of the game seemed to be a battle of attrition. We had ridiculous zone time in the 2nd and especially the third, but shots were from distance, they blocked tonnes, and when we did get to the paint, the bounces just didn't seem to go our way. It wasn't for any lack of effort on the Devils' parts, it was just one of those nights where we got no puck-luck.

As for their fans chanting "you are number 2" - I thought it was hilarious irony.

All in all, we weren't quite good enough, and if we're all honest with ourselves, Belfast looked better than us from Christmas onwards.

It's a bitter pill to swallow, and as other people have said, I'm hoping that we go for a few younger guys up front with a bit more presence, to compliment the skill players. I would love to see Steven Dixon back next season, as for me, he's been the stand-out player of the season, in terms of those recruited in 2018. I wouldn't be doing much about the D and certainly not Bownsy, who has been immense down the stretch (he got a horrible board bounce in Dundee and you can't legislate for those types of things).

We'll be in Sheffield. The boys need to show some heart and resilience. Buckle that lid on tighter - and bite down on that gumshield.

august04

Gutted last night and still today. It didn't start very well with the people directly behind me in Block 7 kicking over a pint which spilled down my seat (wet rear for the whole game) onto the floor, wrecking my vape which was underneath my seat and trainers, as I had to sit in a pool of lager for the whole game. Thanks. I wasn't happy. These games do bring out the nuggets.

The game - Coventry REALLY wanted to spoil the party. They battled like their lives depended on it. And fair play to them. It was a physical game, made scrappy by Coventry's doggedness and really good stick play, clogging up the neutral zone. As soon as we put a couple of quick passes together, we sliced them open and Duggan scores. The rest of the game seemed to be a battle of attrition. We had ridiculous zone time in the 2nd and especially the third, but shots were from distance, they blocked tonnes, and when we did get to the paint, the bounces just didn't seem to go our way. It wasn't for any lack of effort on the Devils' parts, it was just one of those nights where we got no puck-luck.

As for their fans chanting "you are number 2" - I thought it was hilarious irony.

All in all, we weren't quite good enough, and if we're all honest with ourselves, Belfast looked better than us from Christmas onwards.

It's a bitter pill to swallow, and as other people have said, I'm hoping that we go for a few younger guys up front with a bit more presence, to compliment the skill players. I would love to see Steven Dixon back next season, as for me, he's been the stand-out player of the season, in terms of those recruited in 2018. I wouldn't be doing much about the D and certainly not Bownsy, who has been immense down the stretch (he got a horrible board bounce in Dundee and you can't legislate for those types of things).

We'll be in Sheffield. The boys need to show some heart and resilience. Buckle that lid on tighter - and bite down on that gumshield.
Agreed on Dixon, he’s been a joy to watch. In fact, he would be my choice to captain the Devils next year if he returns. Disagree about our D corps though. It just hasn’t been good enough this year, with too many offensive minded players and not enough who can defend properly. I get that the game has changed but we’ve been very sloppy defensively at times and for me, we need more size and aggression at the back end too.

Kevin roog

Couldn’t have been closer. Don’t think Belfast slipped up at home like us to the bottom sides. We lost at home to Dundee . Lightning and Coventry. Perhaps something to look at because since Xmas we have been so strong at home. And the 8.2 at home to Belfast was just ridiculous

zoesdevil

I shouldn't respond. I really shouldn't respond. But I am going to, so I will respond in the form of a very lazy anagram:

Off Piss.
Bowns has had his best season for us & broken many records & if it wasnt for him the last 10-15 games we would of been well out of contention for the title, hes given us a chance to fight. The problem is everyone does mistakes, it's just his are more noticeable being a netminder as they usually end up in the net, fans never remember the defensive or offensive mistakes as they usually get bailed out by other players! Bowns is a godsend for us & gives us a huge advantage over other teams!!

Samael

Ummm, remember this post.... Couldn't resist reminding you ;)
Do Belfast have a forum? Just asking so l can post there and rub MICKey mouse's nose in it when your lot lose, which trust me, won't be too long away. The more you gloat now though the sweeter it will be when it happens so please, do carry on.

Wannabe2

Do Belfast have a forum? Just asking so l can post there and rub MICKey mouse's nose in it when your lot lose, which trust me, won't be too long away. The more you gloat now though the sweeter it will be when it happens so please, do carry on.
They used to have a forum, a view from the bridge I think it was called, but hardly anyone went on it (think it was for over 14s) lol that’s a joke folks. It called it a day a few seasons ago.

Samael

They used to have a forum, a view from the bridge I think it was called, but hardly anyone went on it (think it was for over 14s) lol that’s a joke folks. It called it a day a few seasons ago.
I'll have a look later when l can be bothered. Cheers.

jenks33

With Bownsy I think he’s been a victim of his own success. He’s been so consistent for us over the years. Personally I think he probably has let in more soft goals this season than previous seasons and it hasn’t helped him that Beskorowany has been so good. Do I want him back next season though? 100%. And was he the reason we lost the league? Definitely not

Mazzoak

Andrew Lord is a young coach learning his trade and so far he's been very good at it, despite his lack of experience.

From the outside looking in, I would guess he's learnt far more this season than he did last year. A few rotten performances earlier in the season, rumblings about one or two things not being quite as it should in the locker room, Fahiya and Blood also departing midway through.
The rumours doing the rounds regarding Lord and Farnya having a serious physical punch up which resulted in Farnya breaking his hand at the CHL, Lords blaming Farnya for the loss and most of the players supporting Farnya it’s hardly surprising some didn’t feel the need to make Lord look good by winning trophies.

Whilst l agree it’s rummours, it’s all over social media, so it’s worth noting the issue on here.

I’m not going to mention Deez, the dirty dog.

kingmo19.1

The rumours doing the rounds regarding Lord and Farnya having a serious physical punch up which resulted in Farnya breaking his hand at the CHL, Lords blaming Farnya for the loss and most of the players supporting Farnya it’s hardly surprising some didn’t feel the need to make Lord look good by winning trophies.

Whilst l agree it’s rummours, it’s all over social media, so it’s worth noting the issue on here.

I’m not going to mention Deez, the dirty dog.
If that had happened on the ice I reckon Lordo would have beaten him quite easily.

ASHIPP

Congratulations to the Giants - worthy champions in the right way, with the most number of regulation wins rather than points made up of regulation wins and overtime losses. 3 trophies out of 4 so far for the Giants simply underscores their consistency this season. They are back where they usually are - winning things. It's a lesson the Devils need to get used to - Giants and other teams will be stronger again next season. It's going to be even harder to compete for honours.

Inconsistency killed our team this season. World beaters for a few games, and then a slump. In the final analysis, we could all pick several key moments in the season which damaged their title hopes but, really, those moments illustrate that the team that can hold it together, especially in the games that really matter, is the team that gets the prize.

The calling out of Bownsey is absolutely ridiculous. The Guy is not God - but he is a damn good goalie (and thank God he plays for our team) who gives the team a chance to win every night. And, for the benefit of some critical posters, Ben actually kept the Devils IN many games this season. The guy can't do it on his own. If defensive play was weak at times, then the finger needs to be pointed elsewhere.

Our team have no God -given right to win anything we have simply got used to them winning. The expectation is now ingrained. To stay competitive they know that changes will have to happen. Some of them might be difficult and controversial. Let's hope they are brave enough to make them. Teams in the Elite League will not be standing still. Keefe won't hesitate to improve his Championship side - even the best teams strengthen.

Last edited: