Blaze Vs Devils - 31 Mar 19 - League .. decider?

really dissappointing,we play an 8th placed team who have nothing to play for and are on they're third game of the week and we lose.too many players go missing in games for me,we need new blood in the off season to replace these players.congratulation Belfast deserved champions over the course of the season.

We are hurting but so are the players & management. Had an amazing few years & as I said earlier it was going to end some time, lost out by a whisker this time round. We come back!

The moaners on here were complaining it was boring winning all the time and were considering cancelling their season tickets. Will they be back next season as we're not as invincible as the Steelers (or how they think they are)

RedDevil17

No I won't get my rose tinted glasses off. Our points per game was better this year than last. Last year we won the league by 10 points. This year we lost on regulation wins. I am pretty sure many of our stats are better this year.

Yes it was in our hands and yes it is disappointing, but some of the posts on here are from people who don't deserve to be fans.

We got pipped to the post. Simple as that. Belfast played amazingly down the stretch to give themselves a chance today.

I am glad to support a team who remain in contention, and usually win titles. It was very different a few years ago. Let's not forget. Although I expect a lot of people on here were not fans 5+ years ago.

People calling for Bowns head are quite frankly idiots.
Honestly I really couldn’t care about points per game. Fact is we bottled it and got punished by the better team in the Belfast Giants. Do you expect fans to be happy after blowing an 11 point lead? I backed the team all year and truth is there are passengers that need to leave.There are times in which Belfast played poor but they got the points and that’s the sign of champions. Who are you to call fans fake saying they don’t deserve to be fans??

I forked out £400 or so on a season ticket to watch boring stale hockey at times. Admittedly it was an exciting end to the season but the title should’ve been wrapped up ages ago. If you lose to Coventry and Dundee within the last week you don’t deserve to win the league, simple. You’d think they’d step up the performance a bit considering what’s on the line! Last night wasn’t anything to go by, they had their backup in and he let in 8 goals most of which he should’ve saved.

All that 5 years ago stuff is in the past which tbh I couldn’t really care about. We’ve got good owners now and we’ve built a winning reputation. You can’t win everything which I accept but the least you can expect is a bit of consistency throughout the season. If we go trophyless it’s a massively disappointing season. Just remember we didn’t even get to the semis of the challenge cup or have you forgotten that? Sometimes positivity is fine but if you ask me the last week or two have been anything but. Don’t call people out saying people don’t deserve to be fans. As you would usually say that’s ‘disrespectful!’ and ‘no need for it!’

I will agree that Bowns has been our saving grace at times this season.

Overall giants deserve the league and I hope changes will be made.
Onto next season.

Last edited:

august04

No I won't get my rose tinted glasses off. Our points per game was better this year than last. Last year we won the league by 10 points. This year we lost on regulation wins. I am pretty sure many of our stats are better this year.

Yes it was in our hands and yes it is disappointing, but some of the posts on here are from people who don't deserve to be fans.

We got pipped to the post. Simple as that. Belfast played amazingly down the stretch to give themselves a chance today.

I am glad to support a team who remain in contention, and usually win titles. It was very different a few years ago. Let's not forget. Although I expect a lot of people on here were not fans 5+ years ago.

People calling for Bowns head are quite frankly idiots.
The one thing I’ll agree with you on is Bowns. He’s been superb this past few weeks and for much of the season (bar the CHL campaign). As I’ve stated before though, I want to go with two top goalies (including Bowns) next year if Murdy continues to be ignored, as Bowns has been way over used this season. If that means sacrificing an import skater, then so be it.

Kevlar68

Blaze weren't going to roll over as they beat the would be champions so its a huge scalp to them going in to the play offs but now do they fancy their chances against Belfast? I think that a Devils quarter final would have been a better option to them than a Giants one.
No matter what the situation is any team would go out to win, it's pride that drives all teams.
There is no way Devils went out there not to win. The fact is Blaze outplayed us and maybe last nights game wasn't the game we needed as it was way to easy and may have made us over confident.
Boys i for one have loved this season great highs and real lows but that's what makes this game and league exciting.
Can't go back so have to look forward.

With the roster assembled at the start of the season I firmly believed the league was ours but as others said, we lost Blood and Faryna and they were not replaced with the same type of player. All teams suffer injuries etc but that looked to have hit us hard. Belfast will again next season be very strong, as I am sure will other teams. Whilst I wanted to win the league, a dominance doesnt do anything for the league itself

Yep sorry about that, in fairness I never think of that as it’s a Mickey Mouse thing that’s handed out willy Nilly but congratulations on being the best team this season.
surely winning the conference isn't mickey mouse.....you win it because you deserve it. Irritating to see some Devils fans calling play-off final mickey mouse as well.....surely that was the one you really wanted to win last season after losses in the past. There are 4 trophies up for grabs at the beginning of each season, all teams want to win them. So if you don't win them they are mickey mouse eh?

jenks33

As a few others have said I think Belfast deserved the title in the end. At the end of the day we lost the title on regulation wins so it’s probably unfair to be too critical of our boys. A couple things that stand out for me.
1. The signing of Smotherman. Giants were already stacked but when they signed Smotherman and Higgins their forward depth was ridiculous.
2. No Strachan and departures of Parisi and Blood. When I looked at our defence last season I always thought Strachan was the rock. He was the one that calmed everything down. I never really felt like we had that at all this season. Fournier was obviously outstanding going forward but I never felt like we had that rock solid veteran defenceman that calmed everything down and was 8 out of 10 every weekend.

The team with the winning attitude won this year, they simply worked harder to win it on match days than we did. TBH all season there have been a couple of people on our team that seem to shy away from the contact area of the game and don’t seem to show the passion and determination we have previously seen our team have.

Bitter pill to swallow in the manner that we let that slip. I would feel a little better if we had played some of the stronger teams at the end and lost but we should have had the quality and pace to have closed a few of those last few games in particular.

I won’t call out any player in particular at the moment as I have no doubt they are all feeling down and disheartened right now but I think we can all guess a couple of changes maybe made next season inclusive of captaincy.

On a positive, let’s try and pick ourselves up now for the playoffs and secure some silverware this season. Then go into Europe with our heads held high.

surely winning the conference isn't mickey mouse.....you win it because you deserve it. Irritating to see some Devils fans calling play-off final mickey mouse as well.....surely that was the one you really wanted to win last season after losses in the past. There are 4 trophies up for grabs at the beginning of each season, all teams want to win them. So if you don't win them they are mickey mouse eh?
In fairness I think majority of fans across the league apart from the Scots dont really care about the conference titles. The league is obviously the main one and fair play to you guys for pulling it off you deserved it! Last years play offs were a massive high for me wont deny that but I think it's the format that again fans across the league dont like. Winning trophies are always a buzz but some are more special than others wouldn't you agree??

Rich Best

The team with the winning attitude won this year, they simply worked harder to win it on match days than we did. TBH all season there have been a couple of people on our team that seem to shy away from the contact area of the game and don’t seem to show the passion and determination we have previously seen our team have.

Bitter pill to swallow in the manner that we let that slip. I would feel a little better if we had played some of the stronger teams at the end and lost but we should have had the quality and pace to have closed a few of those last few games in particular.

I won’t call out any player in particular at the moment as I have no doubt they are all feeling down and disheartened right now but I think we can all guess a couple of changes maybe made next season inclusive of captaincy.

On a positive, let’s try and pick ourselves up now for the playoffs and secure some silverware this season. Then go into Europe with our heads held high.
I won't call any player out, then you call out our captain. Nice!

OJLloyd

There are some absolute weapons on here. Usually anonymous.

We can strengthen our D core, and I have perfect confidence the owners and Todd know what they’re doing.

If you’re coming on here or social media to abuse players (not normal criticism, but abuse) please go shout at passing cars as you likely usually do in your spare time.

We lost 17 games out of 60, as the only team with an going European commitment through the first half of the season. We lost the league on wins, not because we were bottom of the league. Let’s not be drama queens.

We go again. The only revenge we can get is to win the play-offs. Let’s do that.

As a new fan that started following the Devils in December (with no hockey knowledge other than the mighty ducks).

I think that Giants deserved to win the league, they seemed to be a lot more consistent, and I found the devils to play a tad sloppy at times and be inconsistent with their performances. But have enjoyed the part of the season I watched and will be back next year. (Hopefully with more hockey knowledge)